Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Starting an online business...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Starting an online business... Next Topic  

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  9:03:30 PM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
Recently i have been going over the idea of starting up my own online business. Selling aprons, bags of all kinds, clothes and anything else that i could sew. Id like to do this while im in school, because finding a job is very tough that will jive with my schedule. I was wondering if anyone could help point me in the right direction and give me some ideas on what needs to be done and so on.

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  9:26:37 PM  Show Profile
some of us have Etsy online shops..check them out..Etsy is a cheap and easy to understand way to sell things...just in our little group there are quite a few...there is a thread with some of the addresses in the Marketplace forum I think..
some are:
Mine www.auntjenny.etsy.com
www.lamargueritefarm.etsy.com
www.therusticcottage.etsy.com
www.bramblestitches.etsy.com
and www.chezpatricia.etsy.com
There are more, but I happen to know those by heart...I hope this helps!!
and good luck!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  9:39:27 PM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
not to be nosy or anything, but how is business on etsy. I see it quite often and i am probably going to go with them. Thank you for the wonderful links, you ladies have some wonderful items!
Go to Top of Page

ChicChick
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Joy

64 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2006 :  10:34:09 AM  Show Profile
I have been wondering this same thing! I have a shop on etsy also, http://chicchickbiz.etsy.com that I started in January. I have only a few items listed, but sadly, no sales yet. Not to hijack this thread, but if someone doesn't mind taking a quick peek at my site and telling me if there is anything more I could do to market my items there? I'm curious to know how others are doing there, it's a great site!
-Joy

Vist my shop at: http://chicchickbiz.etsy.com and my blog at www.chicchickbiz.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2006 :  11:52:51 AM  Show Profile
Personally I love your stuff....check your email...found something I had to buy!!
Sometimes I think it is just a matter of letting folks know you are out there.
I have been happy with Etsy...couldn't live on it thats for sure, but it is a great way to have things for sale and easy to list and then take off if you have another way to sell..not like an auction. I find the fees really cheap and the site easy to use. I have sold 14 things in the past month or so..good for a little extra..I am sure I could do better at marketing too...if someone were good at that part they could do really well I bet!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ChicChick
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Joy

64 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2006 :  1:01:17 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Jenny! I'm so happy! I'm grinning from ear to ear...I had just looked at my email and saw that someone had purchased my favorite little purse...now the mystery is solved! :)

Thanks so much too for sharing your experience with Etsy. I think you're right, like anything else it will take time for people to find me. Plus I think it would help if I had more items in my little shop.

Well, thanks again! I'll be sending that to you soon~hope you like it! :)

Vist my shop at: http://chicchickbiz.etsy.com and my blog at www.chicchickbiz.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2006 :  9:03:36 PM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
yay! im glad that this forum has spawned some business!! and thank you for the info, i think ill take it slow on etsy, and see how things go, ill let you know what my site is called when i get it all set up. Thanks again Jenny and Joy!

Life's messy!... Grab an apron!
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2006 :  10:20:47 PM  Show Profile
I, too, have some things listed on etsy.com. But no sales as of yet. Not sure why. Could be the shipping. I may need to do some packing adjustments and change it. You can find me at:
www.TheMercantile.etsy.com
Glad to see some of you selling things. Keep it up Farmgirls!
Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

ChicChick
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Joy

64 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2006 :  10:51:39 AM  Show Profile
Keep us posted on your experience and let us know when the shop is open Leah, I would love to take a look.

Pam, your items are lovely! I really like the collage with the "Winter Wishes"...I love glitter and sparkles too! :)

Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2006 :  12:49:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls.
I LOVE all your farmgirl goods on Etsy. Just wanted to remind you all that we have a "Marketplace" category where you can each make a new topic for your farmgirl business, then post your website on there so that we can all find your sites! I often look there to see if anyone has new stuff, and I think others might too!
Carol

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride!'"
Go to Top of Page

HERBMAN
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

ROGER
HARLAN KY
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2006 :  08:58:24 AM  Show Profile
Online buisness is a horse of a different color.The logic one may use with a land store to draw customers by having the finest quality with lower prices just dont work on the internet.

I think on the net its all about geting the word out search engines and free links stuff like that and even with thak it will taake a long time to build a customer base but one things for sure once you have a customer base they seem to be loyal.

I to have a online buisness but as of yet have not made it very far but I don't give up sooner or later I will figure out how It all works.

Edited by - HERBMAN on Mar 28 2006 08:59:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2006 :  12:12:20 PM  Show Profile
I started an online business when there were very few online businesses. I've since sold that business and do only a little marketing online now. I work for an ezine so I try to keep up with what's necessary to keep us at the top of the search engines. I might be able to help a little. Be sure your keywords and meta descriptions are excellent. If you're planning to create a serious business you're better off with a professional site rather than a freebie website or one offered by your provider. Buy your domain and operate as a business, not a hobby. And/or, join a well established online niche market. Advertise advertise advertise. And then promote promote promote. There's a ton of truth to "you have to spend money to make it." Keep a large inventory. Potential customers need a reason to keep coming back.

Keep at it! I love shopping online. Anything I can have delivered to my door is less time I have to spend on the road and in a dreaded box store.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Christine in Clark Fork
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Christine
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2006 :  9:10:33 PM  Show Profile
I am very new to computer so bear with me. What is an etsy?
Also, I just tried to access the "etsy" web sites that people have listed and my screen comes up saying "this page cannot be accessed". What am I doing wrong?

Edited by - Christine in Clark Fork on Apr 01 2006 9:19:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2006 :  9:48:51 PM  Show Profile
i'm getting the same thing . can't get in.

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2006 :  11:19:38 PM  Show Profile
Something seems to be wrong with etsy tonight..I can't get in either..on any of the farmgirl's etsy sites ..not just mine. It was fine this afternoon..check again tomorrow I guess.
Etsy is a site for selling handmade things..pretty fun. I don't have the inventory..or time to get that much together..right now for a "real" website. I wish I did..maybe some day. Etsy is very cheap to list items for sale and although it will never make me rich or even count as a real job it is a way to sell things here and there..and fun. I have enjoyed it so far.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

eclectic-dreams
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Sharyn
Utah
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  10:05:17 PM  Show Profile
You can find etsy at www.etsy.com

I just started my first online store fairly recently. You definately have to work at getting people to find your site. And also making your site a place where they feel comfortable buying from. And lots of other things. It is very different from a "brick and mortar" store. It's not a "if you build it they will come" kind of world on the internet. If you start an online store with your own domain name instead of something like etsy learn all that you can about doing so first. Plan how you're going to get traffic to your site (search engines, online press releases, contests, advertising in magazines, etc.) and how you'll get them to come back to the site (as most people don't buy the first time they visit) such as offer an e-newsletter.

Sharyn

www.genuinebloomco.com
www.shopgirlscafe.com
Go to Top of Page

HERBMAN
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

ROGER
HARLAN KY
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  5:45:27 PM  Show Profile
I agree with you I am still learning I got a lot of good ideas from here.
Go to Top of Page

jamsnbread
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Is
Worth IL
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2006 :  10:08:18 PM  Show Profile  Send jamsnbread an AOL message  Click to see jamsnbread's MSN Messenger address  Send jamsnbread a Yahoo! Message
As a previous poster had mentioned getting your own domain and setting up a web site of your own is the best way to go. It looks more professional and gives off the impression of an established real business.

Once you do set up your site make sure all your keywords, descriptions, meta tags, etc are all working together. That will get better results in search engines.

Last but not least link to as many reputable companies as possible as this will bring your site higher up on the search engines as well.

Good luck with your business. If you need any more help or advice on the above email me and I will be happy to help.

Isabel

Jams -N- Bread
www.jams-n-bread.com
info@jams-n-bread.com

C & A Computer Services
www.cacrs.com
info@cacrs.com
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Starting an online business... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: