Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Goodbye Stooka....Kitty passed last night
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Goodbye Stooka....Kitty passed last night Next Topic
Page: of 2

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  05:43:09 AM  Show Profile
I posted a few weeks back that I thought our Professor Pumpkin was dying, so it was with great saddness that we came home last night to discover our youngest cat (7), Stooka, listless on the settee in the study. When we left yesterday, she was eating and snacking on her "greenie" snacks she loves so much, though she did appear somewhat lethargic. It's been hot here, and though we have the air on, sometimes it makes my crew a little "languid" so I thought nothing of it. But, when we got home, she was severely dehydrated, and though I tried to administer fluids, it was too late. She removed herself from the study and went to the basement to pass in private.

I'm so sad. And I feel guilty and helpless and stunned.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  05:51:31 AM  Show Profile
oh Jonni, I am so sorry about Stooka. It is never easy to lose someone we love. I will be praying for you and your family.
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  05:52:46 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I'm so sorry. What a shock. I've never heard of such a thing happening to a pet in her own house. I can't imagine what you could have done differently though.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  06:07:53 AM  Show Profile
Thanks--I'm really just tied all up in knots. I'm not sure, Amie. I'm thinking it was something else, and the dehydration was the final throes. There was plenty of water everywhere, but apparently, during the day, she had weakened and was unable to get to it.
Regardless, it's a sad day.

Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  06:18:28 AM  Show Profile
I'm sorry Jonni. I feel for you. Don't be hard on yourself. I can tell you take very good care of your pets and it wasn't your fault. I think it something else too. Stooka will be missed.

Tninking about you

Sharlet
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  06:28:42 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
Aww,hugs to you and your family. It is always so sad when a dear family member passes.My prayers to you that you will feel better about her passing. It is hard when they go so unexpectidly, isn't it? Feel better.

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow." Helen Keller

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  06:44:27 AM  Show Profile
I am so sorry. Sending hugs your way.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  06:48:30 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, girls. I just spoke to the vet's office...it occurred to me this morning that someone (we have 3) caught a mouse last week and ate a bit of it (sorry), and that's unusual...the vet thinks that the mouse might have been poisoned, or sick. He said that cat's systems are very sensitive, and that it's VERY possible for her to go that quickly. He told me to watch my 2 others, and to make sure all natural functions are functioning...hard to do when you work. I feel like just going home right now and keeping them all around me.

And, for future reference, they recommend keeping Karo syrup on hand for an anemic and dehydrated animal to rub on their gums. It boosts the sugar and then they administer fluids.

Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  07:41:14 AM  Show Profile
I am so sorry for your loss. Big hugs from here.

Christina

Work like you don't have to, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody is watching :)
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  07:59:24 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, I am so sorry! I have been where you are before. It hurts really bad and not everyone can understand or appreciate that. And thank you for passing along the tip about Karo syrup. (((HUGS))) to you!

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  08:08:49 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Cherry....I am feeling REALLY blue, but you're right..not everyone can understand or sympathize. I'm not saying my husband doesn't care, I know he's a bummed, but he just doesn't show it the way he would when say, one of our dogs has an issue. It's been a challenge this morning not to lash out at him and call him callous so I just sought refuge at work, trying to focus on the pile of paper on my desk. That's not coming very easy, though.

You're welcome about the Karo tip...now I'm thinking to myself, if only I'd had that on hand. Maybe I could have done more.

Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  08:19:14 AM  Show Profile
My heart goes out to you. Our kitties are members of the family and their losses are tragic. I don't think you could have done more, sometimes the kitties have things going on that we just don't know about. It is never easy, but don't blame yourself.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  08:26:34 AM  Show Profile
Wow, thanks for the info. That's something to watch out for. It makes sense too, because I think the mouse poisons are supposed to kill the mice by dehydrating them.

I hope everybody else is ok.
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  08:31:29 AM  Show Profile
Jonni,
I am so sorry about one of your first babies. I know how much a part of your family they become.

Hugs,
Tina
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  08:45:12 AM  Show Profile
Oh Jonni, it is never a good time to lose one of your fur babies! Poor thing! hugs to you and my sympathies on your loss. I hope that your other kitties are ok. I DOES sound like poison though. I'm so sorry for Stooka =(

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  10:27:37 AM  Show Profile
Jonni:
I am deeply sorry for your lost.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  10:39:08 AM  Show Profile
You have no idea how much your words mean to me, girls. I can't seem to stop crying over this little cat. She was always so sickly, but she was such a little stinker and I loved her. I am feeling so sad, and it will pass, but I am absolutely worthless here at the office today.

Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  11:17:28 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, so sorry to hear of your loss. It really is losing someone in your family and to have to go to work and act like your usual self is impossible especially when it was sudden like this. I remember all too well having to go to work when one of my furbabies was dying or had died. I'm tearing up just thinking of your pain, so you cry all you need to. We mourn for all of our loved ones, not just the human kind. It just shows that you have a heart capable of great love.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  11:47:12 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so very much, Audrey...my furbabies were my "kids" long before we had Violet, and I've really tried to make sure they're not slighted, so this has taken me totally by surprise and, the control freak that I am, I'm having difficulty comprehending that there wasn't much to be done...

I'm taking your advice, though, and heading to the bathroom when I feel my voice go quiet and the tears come. I will miss her very, very much.

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  12:44:54 PM  Show Profile
Jonni,

So sorry to hear the news. We have a tuxedo cat Tilly Tibbitts who is close to 8 years old and when she passes she will be sorely missed.

....Stooka what an interesting name.

Take care and I hope you are feeling a little better today.

Melody

Go to Top of Page

RuralSuburbia
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Leslie
Northern CA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  1:00:02 PM  Show Profile
Pets & kids~~they open doors in our hearts we didn't know we had. I used to work in a vet clinic and I'd cry when a patient died. I'd get attached even when it wasn't my own pet! I'm so sorry for your loss; don't hold it in. The flower idea in the garden sounds wonderful, you can even make a little place marker with her name on it. {{hugs}}
Leslie

*I've got stars in my eyes and exactly $1 in my pocket!*
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  1:53:18 PM  Show Profile
Jonni:
Crying is like cleansing the soul. I am crying for Stooka because she was your furry child cat and she is gone. I'll say a prayer for Stooka and one for you. Keep us posted on how you are doing.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  2:01:37 PM  Show Profile
Please, do, Marly, pray for us. I am afraid I can't go home just yet this night. Will try to find something to keep Violet and I occupied until I'm so tired that I have to go home...I have other cats, and other pets, but she was my "air raid siren", hence her name, Meloday (a Stooka was a German WWII Bomber)and I will miss that now that her little voice has been quieted.

Leslie, I worked at an animal shelter for 2 years and no matter how mean, young, mutt or non-mutt, each and every one of those animals are marked on my soul and forever changed me. Seeing them adopted made me sing, knowing they were not made my soul weep.

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  4:38:04 PM  Show Profile
Jonni:
My first cat, Henry Dragon, stole my heart. I was 39 years young and had never owned (excuse me, let a cat own me). I still grieve for "my boy". He had stomach cancer, and I had to put him down. Oh, what a hard decision. I wish he could have died peacefully. Jonni, know that we feel your pain. Now, I have only happy memories of Henry Dragon. Often, I find myself laughing so hard out loud just remembering some of the things he did. One of his things was: At night, only when he knew I was sound asleep, he would hunt all over the house for his cat toys. He would, one by one, place them all around my neck. When I would open my eyes in the morning, there he sat, right next to me, his eyes wide open. He would be waiting for me to thank him for sharing his toys. He would do that every night. Oh, how I love that cat. Still! He may not be here physically, but his spirit is and will always be here and in my heart. I wish for you to have an absolutely better day tomorrow. Take care.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  7:47:21 PM  Show Profile
That's so sad... I'm very sorry of your loss. Cats can have so much personality. When they choose to open themselves up to you, it's a great compliment.

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  7:58:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Jonni! I am so sorry that you lost your friend!! *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Goodbye Stooka....Kitty passed last night Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page