Page: of 3

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2004 :  12:50:41 PM  Show Profile
I wondered when I first saw them if there was a way to block them. Didn't think to allert Sarah. Is she the moderator?
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2004 :  2:40:13 PM  Show Profile
When I read the entries you all have mentioned I felt so sad. There are so many souls out there that are so lost and do not even have an inkling that they are. What wounded them so to bring such evil to the surface? I pray for them.

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2004 :  4:32:25 PM  Show Profile
I agree, Jeannie, It is sad...Lifting them up to be something more is a good idea.

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2004 :  6:16:25 PM  Show Profile
You all have hearts of gold.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2004 :  8:33:27 PM  Show Profile
I didn't want to bring attention to those *** posts already mentioned, but when I first noticed them, that's when I decided to check my profile - so I'm wondering about them too. Yes, it's too bad some people don't have better things to do with their time.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2004 :  10:07:11 AM  Show Profile
I have a question too. I just got one of those funny emails from the farm connection about someone in Africa blah, blah, blah wanting help. How do you report these things? I know it is some kind of trick. They were asking for personal information etc, I'm really not that dumb. Why are people so bad? Elizabeth

joyously dancing through life
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2004 :  10:58:45 AM  Show Profile
I took my email off my profile when all this creepy stuff started. Some people just have too much time on their hands. They must be pitiful.

Time Flies
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2004 :  11:28:35 AM  Show Profile
I got the Tony guy,from Nigeria one today too... jeepers. Here we are a bunch of farmgirls who just want to communicate freely and we've got the spammers and the wierdos infiltrating. UGGGG!!!!!!

P.S. I altered Sarah (sourjayne) about it....hopefully we have more security options...

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

Edited by - Clare on Oct 24 2004 11:36:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2004 :  12:20:38 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the information, I have updated my profile. Have any of you received email from muyiwagta (or something like that) asking to help open a bank account?? I hate that people barge into a forum like this for their own (devious) purposes. Be aware, I guess.
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2004 :  12:46:37 PM  Show Profile
Maybe Sarah and others who run and own this site could report the Nigerians to the State of Idaho Attorney General. This sounds like criminal activity to me.

Time Flies
Go to Top of Page

Idahospud
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Nikki
Emmett Idaho
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2004 :  1:06:25 PM  Show Profile
Yep, I just got one today, too. How irritating! I hate to remove my email address as I have gotten some nice mail from some FarmGirls, but I don't want the spammers, either.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2004 :  2:31:39 PM  Show Profile
I too have received nice emails...from real 'farmgirls'...but for my own protection, until something better is offered security wise, I've made my email address non-reachable... so if any of you would like to contact me... I guess post it as a request and we can work something out.....

Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2004 :  4:39:23 PM  Show Profile
I recieved the same email also,It is sad it comes to this.
Alicia

Follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2004 :  5:35:57 PM  Show Profile
HI everyone! Just wanted to say that so far I have not gotten any strange emails but we have our filter set for contacts only. Also I did not post the email adress on the profile or use my real name (just my nickname!) So far so good and those of you that have emailed me through the forum have been forwarded to me so that until I answer you my email adress remains unknown to you.Atleast that's one way to screen and weed out the non-farm girls & guys. Probably not foolproof but atleast a little safer. Hope that helps,it just makes me sad that people make conscious decisions to take the wrong path and for what?
Here's hoping we continue on in our sharing and open format but keep safe as well! This is such a nice place to be , it would be a shame to have it spoiled ! Bramble

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2004 :  7:00:52 PM  Show Profile
Dear Friends -
These foreign emails blantantly asking for money or account numbers have been around quite a while. When I was still working at the ad agency (2 years ago) we would receive them on our office computers, and that was with a pretty good filtering system in place. They are relatively harmless as long as you do not formally open them or heaven forbid, reply. I set my email so that I can view the content of the messages without them actually being open; then I can delete things immediately. See if you can set your email options in this way.

We can still enjoy each other's posts, and continue to share here as always, I hope.

jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2004 :  9:10:17 PM  Show Profile
I got one today too...I feel, like Idahospud that I hate to take my email address off and lose the nice emails..but I wonder if there is an option.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2004 :  7:11:43 PM  Show Profile
I haven't gotten any such emails lately (i.e. in the past 2 weeks), but I simply don't open any email if I don't recognize the sender - I just delete it without opening it. I figure if it's from a legit source they can reach me again, or by some other means.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2004 :  10:33:36 AM  Show Profile
Just to let you all know we were not immune either. Computer was running slow last night so we checked and there was all this BAD STUFF
(along the lines of Cecelia's) clogging up the works . Seems that since they couldn't find a way in directly through our mail filtering system they found a loop hole somewhere and were dumping this stuff into out temporary files. Hopefully installation of another form of protection will stop that, but if we don't visit these sites why do these sick people send it to us? A few seemed MJF related , but I will not elaborate. Just disgusting, sad and very scary. One of them used my first name and I NEVER use my real name online. Be careful everyone, it's creepy. Bramble

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2004 :  5:52:57 PM  Show Profile
We use Norton system works and do daily updates on protection. Also have a spybot program that we use every few days. When I got the letter asking for personal info and money I forwarded it to my e-mail server at Abuse@ (the name of my server) .com. They do follow up on people who are sending out this &*^%$^&&^%$#@@!*)()(*!
I learned to never download my e-mail until I had first downloaded my updates for Norton. You can go into internet options on your computers and change your settings to disallow certain cookies as well as set your e-mail up to the highest security by going to tools on your task bar and selecting internet options then selecting security. It will bring up a window that gives you options to choose from. This should help you avoid the xxx e-mails.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2004 :  5:53:27 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone seen/read a response from Sourjayne or the MJF staff pertaining to this problem?

jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2004 :  6:45:16 PM  Show Profile
Just talked to my computer guru son in Iowa about this problem. He told me to call MJ and alert them to the problem via phone so that they can contact the person who set up this forum for them. He said that if a large number of us are receiving these type of e-mail that the forum webb site itself does not have a powerful enough fire wall and it needs to be upgraded. He feels that someone has likely hacked into the webb site and gotten hold of the e-mail addresses.
Perhaps each of us could e-mail Sara about what we have received. I have only gotten the nigerian request for money but not the xxx stuf.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2004 :  06:53:33 AM  Show Profile
The Nigerian email transpired from a "Member" of this website, via the "email function". They do not know our email addresses unless we reply to them.
I have alerted Sarah and Kim and I know HiDez gal has alerted MaryJane. I asked Kim to HELP! because she's the only farm member who has posted recently.
Regarding cookies from this website. Every website has cookies. We have "allowed" them because we have registered and are members of this website. You should be NOT be shocked to find those stored on your computer, especially if you have clicked on "remember" my password. Let's not panic about this... and give them time to respond and perhaps to upgrade if that is within their capability. Everybody take a deep breath!!!!! AHHHHH! Yes.

Edited by - Clare on Oct 28 2004 06:55:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2004 :  07:14:04 AM  Show Profile
Lorij you are TOO funny! Hope the air clears there for you soon!
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2004 :  08:57:03 AM  Show Profile
Lori,
If you don't use the "quick reply" box, but rather click on the "reply to topic" just above it, you'll get the formatting choices. There are faces on the left to click on. You don't see the face when you click, but you see its "code" in your message.
If you want to try different fonts and colors of type, that's a little trickier. Click on a font choice. You'll see it appear in your box with a beginning [ ] and and ending one that starts with a slash [/].... you must type in between these two beginning and ending instructions. If you want to add color, put your cursor in between those two instructions and click on the color you want. You'll now have beginning and ending instructions for color in the middle of your typeface instructions. To begin typing, put your cursor in the middle of the color choice to start. This way you're telling the computer: ok - my typeface is xxx and my color is xxx, now my message, then you end with telling it "end of" color and typeface. Sounds technical, but it's not hard once you get the hang of it.
Give it a go~~

P.S. AS A GOOD FAITH MEASURE, I'M MAKING MY EMAIL ADDRESS ACCESSIBLE TO EVERYONE AGAIN.... THAT IS YOU CAN EMAIL ME FROM MY NAME LINK NOW.... I STILL HAVE THE SECURITY OF ANOYOMITY UNTIL I REPLY, BUT I ENJOY FROM HEARING FROM THOSE OF YOU WITH PERSONAL COMMENTS OR QUESTIONS!!! TRUST AND FAITH!!!

Edited by - Clare on Oct 28 2004 09:09:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2004 :  09:20:28 AM  Show Profile
Clare,
Thanks for the instructions! It is good to know somebody knows who to allert to these intrusions. The nigerian letter has been around for a long time but I wonder does it hitch hike un anounced on a persons e-mail and send itself out as if sent by someone else?
On my internet security tab in internet options there is a place where I have checked a box that tells the computer to allert me if someone attempts to send e-mail as me. Is this feature on all explorer tool bars? Or is this from my personal security program? I am pretty new to computers and have only just found this.
Also on my computer I have discovered the feature where I can tell my computer not to allow cookies from certain webb sites and always allow them from the places I am familiar with such as this forum, is this feature available from explorer or from ny security program?
Eileen

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic WARNING to all farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page