Page: of 3

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2004 :  09:36:55 AM  Show Profile
The allow cookies /or not function is standard to Internet Explorer. I do not find the alert of email option on mine, so you must have gotten that from your security program. I think this will only work if you have Outlook as your email access program. Those with Yahoo and MSN and others have their own security programs. I have a few Yahoo email addresses and they always scan for bad stuff and I never ever open any email from anyone unknown. Those usually end up in my 'bulk' folder anyway. My internet provider email address gets TONS of junk mail, but thankfully most of them all go direcly to the spam folder and I just delete those enmass. It's amazing how one's email address gets "out there". I don't subscribe to that many things, and those that I do all say that they don't share email addresses... I have a good security program with McAfee that updates every other day or so (seems like-really slows me down!!), plus a program they recommended called "AdSubtract" that blocks pop up ads (those drive me crazy) and also keeps a log of things blocked and of questionable websites that try to install or have installed a cookie. So it's easy to delete those. Some are from sites I've never heard of, so they must be related to, or attached to some of the websites I frequently visit. That's beyond my grasp right now, and I don't really feel threatened by them. Just dump them occasionally.

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

taylor
honeybee

40 Posts

40 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2004 :  10:07:08 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls, I am really sorry for the inconvenience of those annoying emails. I have gotten the nigerian offer as well. These types of emails have been around for awhile - I have recieved them numerous times. Please be sure not to respond to them it only encourages them.

We hope that all you ladies don't feel abandoned by us. We haven't been able to chat a lot as we are on a tight book deadline. Sarah, though she is still the main Connection Administrator no longer works on the farm and I know she has been busy looking for a job in Seattle. However, rest assured we have been working on this problem since we first discovered it about 2 weeks ago. We have upgraded our forum program but these spammers are very clever and not easily stopped. Our service providers are working as we speak to solve the problem. If you get any of these emails use the the "block sender" option on your email and then erase it promptly.

Again, I want to stress that we are really sorry about this but unfortunately the world wide web is a largely lawless world, one where miscreants can cause trouble to there rotten hearts' content without having to worry about being called out on the table for it. Know that any time you share your email publicly on the web you are bound to get unwanted emails. My advice would be to go to yahoo or hotmail and get a second email that you use to fill out commercial forms on the web or that you use on forums. This way your personal email stays separate from your more public email. Hope this helps and gives you a little more confidence. Please feel free to email me about any concerns or questions you may have. Consider me your on the farm administrator - if you cannot get through to Sarah, drop me a note and I will get to the bottom of it.

Your friend from the Farm,

Taylor
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

28 Posts

Kimberely
MaryJanesFarm Idaho
28 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2004 :  10:07:35 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all! Clare emailed me concerning this situation and I spoke with MaryJane, Taylor, and Carol. They have assured me that as soon as MJ heard about this, she contacted our service provider. He has been working on it and it has been a long process, but we do believe this has been taken care of. Just to ease your minds a little, these emails have been around for about two years now. A lot of big corporations, and even my home personal email, have received these in the past. This isn't something new, so our service provider is aware of these types of emails and knows how to take care of the situation. Thank you for being so patient with us through this and please hang in there with us!! :)

Also, on another note, MaryJane wanted me to mention that she hasn't been able to be online a lot lately with her book needing to get finished. Her apologies! She misses it! She does read and check it out a little here and there when she gets a break (usually around 3 in the morning or so). We have her soooo busy! :) But, just so you know, she thinks about ya'll often!

Please let us know if this problem continues. In the meantime, happy chatting!!!! Talk to you soon - Kimberely
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2004 :  10:12:24 AM  Show Profile
Kimberly and Taylor,
Thanks for your hard work!
Send MaryJane our love,
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Michael
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

17 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2004 :  4:24:03 PM  Show Profile
How sad indeed. But it is true. I know an employer who received an anonymous letter about an employee posting to a bulletin board using their real name and email address. This created an enormous amount of trouble including having their computer and all their emails seized and inspected. One would like to think we have a nice group of friends, even family, here. I am sure we can all trust each other, but unless we make this a closed list, there will always be onlookers who want to make trouble.

I suggest that if people want to make contacts they do it by sending each other a private communication then you can reveal your last name to someone you trust. Even then I would suggest caution. People have successfully impersonated children on the internet. If they give you their details - and you can verify them, then you are in a better situation to reveal yours.

I have removed most of my details from my profile.

Sad, but true.
Happy Halloween 'Family'
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic WARNING to all farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page