Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Breakfast??? Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  3:57:13 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
When I dropped Charlie off at daycare, I was SHOCKED that one child was eating a bag of chips for breakfast and another had a package of 3 HUGE chocolate chip muffins for breakfast. Another child eats fast food several times a week. These are children all under 3. I am not one to judge but my goodness, what were these parents thinking??? Even when I am late, I grab a banana and a bag of cereal.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  4:11:33 PM  Show Profile
I am always amazed by what some people feed their kids in the morning..or don't feed them at all! My kids wouldn't know how to act! They wake up hungry and really expect something that will fill them up...hot cereal, eggs and toast, or at the least a quick smoothie...like you said...at the least a banana and cereal. I would worry about how they were getting enough nutrition to make it until lunch! What I really hate to see is a kid walking to school drinking a can of soda and carrying a candy bar! At 7:45 A. M.!! I work at the elementary school and that is just shocking to me!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  4:15:30 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Jenny, when I worked as a substitute teacher, I saw 10 year olds with Starbucks. Even worse, those high energy drinks. And then the parents wondered why their kiddos crashed at 2 in the afternoon. SHEESH!!!! On the weekends, I feed Charlie a true farmstyle breakfast and it can take him as long as an hour to eat. During the week, I might scramble up so eggs and save some bacon and make a burrito for him. I buy the organic cereal and he devours that with a glass of milk AND juice. No wonder these 3 year olds are hyper when they get to school!!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  5:36:01 PM  Show Profile
Awww that's so sad. I always feel bad for kids who have parents who quite obviously do not have their childs welfare at the front of their mind.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  7:28:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That's so sad! Nora doesn't always like to eat conventional foods for breakfast and she grazes- but she doesn't get junk food as a rule. She really like eggs- scrambled, over easy, or hard boiled. Somedays she wants oatmeal and some days she wants cold cereal. Somedays she eats lots of fruits and somedays she doesn't want as much- but I can't imagine giving her junk all the time!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  09:07:15 AM  Show Profile
I remember hearing a couple of years ago that,the #1 finger food given to toddlers by their parents is "McDonalds french frys". I about fell out of my chair. So reading this, sadly, it does not surprise me.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  09:13:48 AM  Show Profile
Now, see, I was one of those kids and I bet other momma's talked terrible about mine! I NEVER ate breakfast, flat out refused, much to my mother's chagrin. She tried and tried, and I would just sit at that table like she was trying to make me eat peas or something. And I drank coffee at 6 years old (wanted to be like my dad). I still rarely eat breakfast, though I did when I was pregnant. Then, after Violet was born, I went back to know breakfast.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Breakfast??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page