Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Can Violet be teething at 14 weeks??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Can Violet be teething at 14 weeks?? Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  06:57:04 AM  Show Profile
Violet has had a low grade fever, congestion and she keeps rubbing her left cheek and ear. We have ruled out an ear infection by going to the Pediatrician, but the she did say that she could be in either the beginnings of teething or simply a cold. The Pediatrician said she is about 5 months old in her abilities and comprehension at the moment, so I guess early teething might be possible?

Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING goes in her mouth right now. Blankets, toys, my hands, her fists, my shoulder. Whatever she can try to mouth...We bought a couple of little comfort teething toys for her, but unfortunately, her little mouth is too small!!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

C.W.
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Chelsea
Prosser WA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  08:50:34 AM  Show Profile
My boys started teething at 4 months. This included fever, fussyness, congestion, drool, and at times diahrrea. None of the typical teething toys helped much, my Doc said to wet and freeze a cloth rag which they could chew on. Good luck, I hope it doesn't last for too long, poor thing.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  08:54:29 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, C.W...we've had all that this week and last. She had a bout of diahrrea last week, poor thing. There were a couple of times I literally had to dip her in a tub of water! Good idea about freezing a washcloth or something.

We did give her some infant tylenol, per the doc, which seems to at least, give her rest. I'm hoping it doesn't last too long, either--we just got her tummy righted, and she's had some joyous weeks and now this?!

Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  09:42:58 AM  Show Profile
I remember the teething stuff so well. Susannah was miserable for a while before the teeth broke through, she was stuffing things in her mouth for a long time before the first two popped into view. My doctor said the teething pain was intense for babies and recommended baby tylenol, which helped.And something cold to gum is always good too. We had a mahoghany coffee table and when Zan was about seven months old she edged her way around the table holding on and biting it. I found all these tiny teeth marks and was completely frantic. I called the doctor to tell him than my baby's been eating coffee tables and surely she must be full of wood chips. He just laughed, but it certainly taught me that the biting is a necessary part of the whole adventure. And the drooling. And the diarrhoea. And the miserableness of it all....

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  10:11:35 AM  Show Profile
The Hylands teething tablets really work. Little Remedies makes them also, but I find that they turn to powder in the bottom of the bottle sometimes. Children's ibuprofen works very well for pain and fever. When Owen is really in pain, and biting the couch, or his arm :(, I give him anbesol/oragel. Also, sometimes pressure from rubbing their gums can help. I let Owen chew his toothbrush. Nuby makes sippy cups for teethers. Good luck, girl!

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  10:12:09 AM  Show Profile
Jonni,
Violet sure could be. Tori started getting hers that young. It is possible for some babies to be born with teeth already. Every baby is different. We used those homepathic drops that go under the babies tongue. They dissolve right away so there is no fear of choking. Cold wet washcloths for them to suck on were our best friends. :)
Thankfully, teething doesn't last for ever. :D

hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  10:16:17 AM  Show Profile
Jonni
Oliver started around the same time teething, but he is only finally getting one tooth now (he's 9 months) good luck!!

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  11:28:46 AM  Show Profile
Well....looks like I'll be getting some of those tablets and putting some cloths in the fridge. Ok..I'm sortof glad she wasn't born with teeth. That's very un "baby" like :)

Karin, that's funny about Zan and the coffee table. When I was teething, we had this HUGE boat of a Chrysler car (and seat belts were not mandatory) and I rode around with my mouth glued to the dashboard. There were teethmarks in it when we sold it to a jockey on the racetrack years later :) I guess kids will try to find anything for relief.

Oh, poor Oliver, Melanie! Just now he's getting a tooth? Poor little man, it sure has taken some time!

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9372 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9372 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  1:32:48 PM  Show Profile
Jonni,
My husband had his two front lower teeth when he was born. Looked real cute in his pictures. Cold cloths are the best!

Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  5:35:12 PM  Show Profile
Oh, poor Violet! This is what I did with my three- I would peel carrots and cut off the thinnest part, then I would store them in the refrigerator in cold water. When the kids needed something to gnaw on, I would give them a carrot. The cold helped sooth their gums, the carrot wa hard enough to help tiny teeth come through and it was healthy to boot!
My mom still has the silver bracelet that my brothers, sisters and I teethed on. You can see all of our teeth marks!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

PineConeAcres
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  8:28:36 PM  Show Profile
Catnip helps with the pain and helps them go to sleep. Look it up :D It worked for all three of my kids.

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention, my first daughter had a tooth at three months.

Edited by - PineConeAcres on Jun 03 2009 9:43:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2009 :  05:52:56 AM  Show Profile
Well, I felt in her little mouth last night, and it sure does feel a bit jagged on her upper gum--Karin, I so like the idea of the carrots. I will do that for sure. She really, really wants to gnaw on something, but unfortunately, everything I've tried (including those soft teethers filled with water) are just too darn big right now. The carrot will work nicely.

Crystal, we use a tincture that is from an herb company in California (the name escapes me) for Violet that has catnip and fennel in it. It helped her with many bouts of tummy problems when even Gripe Water wouldn't cut it. I can truly believe that it would help with teething...

Where was your daughter's first tooth? I read last night in my "baby book" by Dr. Sears, that girls do teeth earlier than boys, and that it can start as early as 3-4 months old. Guess we're right there, then!

Well, now! Looks like I need to head to the store--thanks, as always, girls. You never fail to humble me and amaze me with your wonderful advice.

Go to Top of Page

PineConeAcres
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2009 :  09:04:44 AM  Show Profile
Her first tooth was on her bottle gum which was followed with her second one a couple days later. Oh yeah, that was my second daughter not my first. My first one didn't get teeth until she was 7 months. My second and third both got teeth really early, second at three months and third at four. The second front bottom tooth always seems to follow shortly after.
Go to Top of Page

Mamarude
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Anna
Durango Colorado
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2009 :  12:02:58 PM  Show Profile
My husband was born with two teeth also! my kids started theirs around 3 months, I guess she's right on schedule!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2009 :  12:05:05 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like, Cherian. My husband took her today to the store to get some of the Hylands teething tablets, and a new teething toy. Hopefully she's not being too fussy for the sitters :)

Go to Top of Page

chaunzee
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Teresa
Kentucky
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2009 :  8:15:32 PM  Show Profile
My oldest son had 3 teeth when he was 3 months old. (Youngest took his time and didn't start teething until much later.)

Best of luck to ya, it's rough with our babies don't feel good.

~*~If I die from insanity, it is because another song was stuck in my head.~*~
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  05:51:47 AM  Show Profile
You can say that again, Chaunzee! Hey, where are ya in the Bluegrass? Nice to have another Kentucky girl on the forum!

I can't believe your boy had 3 teeth when he was 3 months old! My gosh, poor little man (poor you!) he must have been in quite a bit of pain.

We just got her tummy rights (formula just didn't suit her after breastfeeding so with trial and error we found a good one, but not without many sleepless nights and poor little crying gal.)

Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2009 :  9:01:40 PM  Show Profile
Jonni,

One thing you can try for her when she is a little bit older and still teething is give her a frozen waffle to chew on/gum. Bonus on that is there is built in drool cups. LOL

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

ChicChick
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Joy

64 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  11:16:36 AM  Show Profile
Our pediatrician just recommended the carrot idea to us--just make sure that the carrot is long enough that there's no way they could choke on it. He says you can leave several in ice water in the fridge, and then toss them into the compost once they get icky. Our little boy is not quite three months and seems to have been teething for the past two or three weeks--poor little guy!

Good luck! Thanks for all the helpful tips, everyone.

Visit me online! www.achickwithaconscience.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Can Violet be teething at 14 weeks?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page