Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Help!!! Squash Bugs Next Topic  

Desiree
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Desiree

USA
48 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  7:10:43 PM  Show Profile
I try to grow everything as organic as possible. The last two years I have had squash bugs. They take all the life out of my squash family plants. I've tried different "natural ways" and insecticidal soap. They are here again this year......I'm ready to use poison. Any suggestions????? Thanks.

Simple Living With Nature........Farmgirl #157
www.beyondagarden.blogspot.com
www.beyondagarden.etsy.com

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2882 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2882 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  7:27:23 PM  Show Profile
Desiree
My neighbor kinda stumbled on this by accident.. We have all been plagued by squash bugs & tried all the methods to no avail.
Well... she had some volunteer plants come up in her garden later than usual, a pumpkin & some squash. I am talking early to mid Julyish. Welll... No squash bugs. So she planted later the next year& again. no squash bugs.
We have warmth here until mid October, so I am planting all of my sqaush & pumpkins late to see if I have the same success.
Not sure if this is tried & true, but I have noticed that the bugs are less in the mid summer to fall.
Go to Top of Page

Desiree
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Desiree

USA
48 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  5:25:04 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the information. I will keep it in mind for next year. Last year my pumpkins, squash and eventually cucumbers got the bug, but I did plant some mini pumpkins in a different garden area towards July and they didn't get any.

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  5:36:09 PM  Show Profile
If you are gardening in the same spot, and planting your squash in the same spot, it might be the larve wintering under the soil, and hatching out when its warm. Till extra deep and then lay black plastic over your garden after you are done harvesting for the year, the plastic will create lots of heat and cook them little buggers right out of there.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Desiree
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Desiree

USA
48 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  6:09:28 PM  Show Profile
I am planting the squash family in a different spot this year. Great idea for the larve. It makes sense. Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

azgardengirl
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Camille
Gilbert Arizona
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  10:02:29 AM  Show Profile
I tried planting in a different spot this year, because that is what the expert gardener at our co-op extension recommended also,and I still got them. I did just replant my zucchini and canteloupe and they seem to be fine so far.

http://arizonagardengirl.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2882 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2882 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  3:10:06 PM  Show Profile
I planted everything late.. & I mean LATE. I still have not planted beans, but we are warm until October, so I am not worried &..(knock on wood) I have not had any squash bugs yet..or those dang potato bugs...SOOOO I am going to do my garden as I do everything else in life...Late!
(now if I could get rid of my tomato blight I would be a downright happy dirt digger)
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  6:42:35 PM  Show Profile
I agree that planting later is a good idea to avoid the bugs, about 2 weeks after your last frost date is a good time.

I've heard that if you notice the bug has split the stem, you can cut the stem halfway through and dig out the bug, then maybe your plant will recover. I'll look up the source.

Rotating crops is a good plan too. last year I put squash by the woodpile - where they had never been before - DH thought they were a weed and sprayed them with 2,4-D.... oh well.

I've also heard that if your plant is strong from growing in soil with good tilth and all needed nutrients (like soil amended with compost), then the bugs may avoid it for a weaker plant...

As far as tomatoes with blight - again, strong plants due to good soil health is one answer, mulch to protect plants from dirt from splashing on leaves is another. Most of the blights are soil-borne diseases.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Help!!! Squash Bugs Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page