farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  08:28:51 AM  Show Profile
I have the perfect container to put worms in for vermipost. (I think that's what it's called!) My question is do I have to order those expensive worms or can I go to the bait shop and buy night crawlers? I didn't know if it had to be a certain kind or not. Thanks, for the help! Tammy

http://afarmgirljourney.blogspot.com/
Farmgirl Sister #492

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. -Carl Bard

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  08:56:24 AM  Show Profile
Hi Tammy, I don't think they are the same thing. The ones that you will need for composting are called Red Wigglers and you will need a LOT of them to start you off. I think about 1000 is what they recommend. It is a one time investment and you won't ever have to worry about it again. Good luck with your worm venture, you won't regret it. In fact, I am thinking of expanding my worm wrangling!
Go to Top of Page

whymsicalmysfit
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

jaime
malden washington
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  09:36:16 AM  Show Profile
Dude! I luv worms! I will give you a fast short cut on the composting worms.while online look up a company called can-o -worms, for about 100 bucks you get the bin & all the worms needed to start! its really cool & worth the investment.. the bin is amazing & has a spiket at the bottom for your compost tea ready whenever you need it. My kids love to feed our table scraps to the worms!( NO MEAT OR ONIONS ) we feed our worms junk mail & old books its cool to watch the process from paper to worm to dirt to juice! we sell our worm juice its called " PALOUSE JUICE" since we live here in the palouse. The kids really love it & the juice is magical on everything from herbs to house plants..it will be an awesome journey for you & your babes! if you have anymore questions maybe I can help my unkle has been a"worm farmer" for yrs heeehee!

"May all your weeds be wildflowers"
www.northnature.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  10:31:29 AM  Show Profile
Thanks girls! I'm glad I asked before just dumping some worms in there. Wonder what's the difference in them?

http://afarmgirljourney.blogspot.com/
Farmgirl Sister #492

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. -Carl Bard
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Question about worms... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page