Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Dontcha love folks who are NEVER wrong?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Dontcha love folks who are NEVER wrong? Next Topic
Page: of 2

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  07:50:15 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Hallie, I know it's in my part of the country, but I spent some time in your part of the country (Indy) over the weekend, in a very affluent area at a dance recital and WOW were these parents (and kids) something!! VERY privileged, and VERY self absorbed...talking about the parents, now...which translates similarly to their children unfortunately.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  08:22:54 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, it is a GREAT book. I happened to run across it in the "new arrivals" section at the library while I was waiting to check something else out. My favorite part so far is:
quote:
Parents are told that even newborns can experience the benefits of self-admiration. The Breastfeeding Book, by Martha and William Sears, notes that one of the great benefits of breastfeeding is milder smelling stools. This is great for parents, but it's good for baby, too: "When the baby looks at the face of the diaper-changing caregiver and sees happiness rather than disgust, he picks up a good message about himself-perhpas a perk for budding self-esteem." Given the popularity of encouraging self-admiration in children, this will probably be just the first time the child will learn that his poop doesn't stink.
I've been reading this paragraph to everyone...the girls at work, my mom, the postman....

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  08:45:12 AM  Show Profile
That last line totally made me laugh. What a great paragraph. I'll have to see if our library has it. I'll look on my lunch hour (it's a block away from the office--yay!)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  09:05:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I don't know Jessie- I breastfed Nora and never was super thrilled about #2 in the diaper! LOL I made lots of grimaces because she thought it was funny! LOL

To be honest I have met some real brats in my time both my age, older, and younger. I think it really does just come down to what people are led to consider as acceptable behavior or not acceptable behavoir. While I was in Idaho I met 2 very nice farmboys that help out at my friend's ranch with the heavy muscle parts of the work. Both of them look about 16 but both are around 20! Maybe being humble and nice keeps one young! Maybe that should be marketed! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Dontcha love folks who are NEVER wrong? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page