Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Grandparents 60th Wedding Anniversary Party Plan
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Grandparents 60th Wedding Anniversary Party Plan Next Topic  

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  4:24:25 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
I started planning this (noone else would) and want to have it in our backyard (like they did for their reception only at the farm) and have a picnic/simple theme. I want to do it on a budget but focus on the people and celebration. I started to plan when and where and the theme, but I am running into some concerns. I looked at renting tents (in case of rain and for food, but WAY too $$ so we can buy 1 or 2 semi ok ones from like target or gander mountain for a hundred or two. I am browsing the dollar store for decorations and lil things. I know I need utensils, napkins, and glasses, but I HATE throwing away everything....I don't see how I'll get enough silverware to do that and I contemplated cloth napkins, still not sold...I do however HOPE to get mason jars for glasses but idk. I also wanted to have picnicy food like hamburger (gotta borrow a grill) potato salad, chips, beans, and who knows if anything else. I want to get a cake from the local bakery. Decorations japanese lantern things and some printed and framed pics to hang on the trees....just simple cutesy things. I just need some more ideas, help, advice, and anything you all seem to see that would need to be addressed. I thought of you all and the simple homemade style of this. I also have another issue of seating and tables. We have some card tables and a few chairs but I don't know where i could get picnic tables, which would be PERFECT. Thanks ya'll. xox

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."

http://liggybitsandpieces.blogspot.com/
http://ligonierliving.blogspot.com/

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  8:40:20 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
As far as tables and chairs, do you have a VFW, American Legion or other civic club in your area? And are you or anyone you know a member? Sometimes clubs like that will let you either borrow tables and chairs or rent them cheap.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  06:16:50 AM  Show Profile
Bridget..thats so sweet of you to do for them. Even though no one wanted to help plan, would they have any of the things you're looking for or know someone who might? For some its easier to be asked if they have something or to do something than plan the entire thing.

When it was my inlaws 60th birthdays (they're a month apart)we had a big party for them. Similar to what you're having.
For their cake we had a picture of them as babies added, if you have your grandparents wedding pic, you could do the same.

For silverware, sometimes the $ store or Big Lots if you have one has a bundle of 4 or more for $1. But IDK how many you'll have if that will get too expensive. I know walmart has a canopy thats @$80 for 10x10. I've seen them at home depot too. I'd also check out Craigslist for anything you need. You never know what you might find.

For lighting you could fill mason jars w/sand or rice & put a candle inside. Wrap some wire around the mouth of the jar to hang from the trees. Can even use baby food jars for that too. If you have empty coffee cans you can punch a design in them & also fill w/candles. With the food you're having the nice thing is a lot can be done ahead of time. Even for the burgers, I might start them in the oven to get partially cooked & then move them to the grill to finish for the bbq taste. Easier yet, have the guests (or just family ones) bring a side dish while you provide the meat & all that goes w/the burgers(meat). If its mostly family they won't mind.

"I have an irrepressible desire to live till I can be assured that the world is a little better for my having lived in it."
– Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  11:01:15 AM  Show Profile
If you have a Costco near you, they usually have a quarter sheet cake for $15 and they are yummy! Maybe one of your family could get that for you. Also, thrift stores have old silverware, you could get lots of forks and then you would have them for future parties. Also check the thrifts and rummage sales and yard sales for mason jars for the drinks and candles. You could also save any old glass jar between now and then to use for candles (which you can also get at the thrift stores or yard sales) and use the wire to hang them from a tree or just tie a ribbon around the rim and set them on the table. Grace used baby food jars and tea lights on the table at her recent Sisters on the Fly gathering, she tied a ribbon around the rim. Maybe one or two of your family members or friends has a canopy that you could borrow? Unless you would use one regularly, it's a big expense to buy one if you don't usually use one. Also, maybe your church would let you use some tables and chairs, or your grandparents' church. You could also get cheap reuseable plastic picnic plates at the dollar store or maybe thrift if you don't care if they match. Good luck!

When is the party and how many do you expect?

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  09:36:37 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
It is August 15 the actual day they got married. I want to send out invitations by july 1 no later. I will use the candles in jars hanging on trees idea. I didn't think about getting silverware from the thrift store, GOOD idea!!! :) The plate thing is an issue still I guess I could use disposable... Our church doesn't have seating and tables to lend out. Still figuring this one. hmmm Thanks so much! Please keep the ideas and help coming!

Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  05:12:18 AM  Show Profile
How many will be attending Bridget? I was thinking you could do something as simple as setting a board on top of 2 saw horses (i think that's what they are called?) Cover w/a table cloth & it would work fine. Still the seating is an issue unless you have everyone bring a lawn chair. Will keep the wheels turning for you.

"I have an irrepressible desire to live till I can be assured that the world is a little better for my having lived in it."
– Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  08:29:23 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
OMGosh that would be great!!! for a table. I don't care how simple it is :) I am inviting 50-60 but you know prob 20-30 show :)

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Grandparents 60th Wedding Anniversary Party Plan Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page