Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  09:12:01 AM  Show Profile
yesterday, picked the first batch. I have a small bed of French Filet beans, pick them too. Will stir fry them tonight to go with the Chinese something, that is to use the snow peas. I love it when the garden dictates what's for dinner.

Will be canning Greenbeans next week. YIPEEEE

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  09:17:38 AM  Show Profile
Wow! Mine are still climbing! I blanched and froze peas again yesterday, but the potatoes are just flowering now. I too love it when the garden dictates dinner...We've even been using our green onion tops in cooking. My husband took them to the restaurant he works with, and they sauteed them in wine and butter and put them over the filet that night.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  10:20:00 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, red or white wine? I love it when someone suggest a recipe and I have all the fixins. Don't have a filet but have ribeye.

We have had one batch of potatoes. I dug up a few just to see what was there and got a nice pan full. The potatoes don't grow anymore after the plants start dying. Right??? I had red potatoes, washed, then boiled them. Drained and put in a skillet with butter, browned them up then sprinkled with fresh parsley. Next batch will be fixed the same way except Olive oil and rosemary. I love summer eating!

I have had a couple of squash too, and fixed cucumber/onion in vinegar last night. The onions arn't through growing and I have store bought onions in the pantry but couldn't resist that fresh right out of the ground flavor.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  10:32:27 AM  Show Profile
White wine, but red would be good, too, especially with beef. You just sautee them to begin with in butter, then, when wilted, pour in a bit of wine, turn up the heat and let reduce, but not too much so you have a nice sauce. Maybe a little s & p, too.

Yep, after the potato vines start dying back, it's time to harvest. I love the first potatoes of the season, boiled with parsley and butter. YUMMM! I really love to roast my garden potatoes, too. Cut them in cubes, put on a cookie sheet (with foil underneath), drizzle with olive oil, sea salt and fresh rosemary. Oh my! Wonderful!.

Jus is the champion chef of breakfast/brunch, so he made an omlette yesterday with the homemade sausage our local meat market makes, cream cheese, our chives and our baby spinach. It was SOOO good!

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  10:34:33 AM  Show Profile
I love taking green beans and cooking them til they are crisp. Then dicing up some garden tomatoes and tossing it together with an Italian like dressing. So light and so good. And a nice alternative to regular salad.

I got my garden in late. Was trying to be safe, so I'm not anywhere close to a garden meal yet! I will sit here, read your posts and drool!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~the only thing for certain, is uncertainty~
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  10:44:16 AM  Show Profile
Belle:
I love green beans! My DH and I have been eating garden veggies all week. Harvest the crop, eat the crop! I love it, too.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  10:22:18 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, can I come live with you? Ole Ron only knows how to fry an egg for an egg sandwich.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  10:28:57 AM  Show Profile
Absolutely, Belle! C'mon down (or across, is it?) Justin has always been a champion breakfast maker. I looooove his omlettes and potatoes. He's super good at savory, and I'm good at sweet. Turns out most of the time I want savory (or is it that I just like him cooking for ME?)

Egg sandwiches definitely have their place, though, Belle...I usually reserve mine for dinner when I'm alone--the white fried real crispy and almost paperlike on the ends, and lots of salt and pepper on buttered wheat toast.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  5:39:15 PM  Show Profile
Me too, Belle! I'll be swimming in green beans. I love them, though. You can never have too many green beans. Zuchinni is a different story.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic First greenbeans Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page