Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Red wax on a "vinyl" wall...help!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Red wax on a "vinyl" wall...help! Next Topic  

wildhorsemom
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Laurie
Illinois
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  1:15:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi, gang...okay, here's the thing: my 14 year old daughter, who is ordinarily very responsible, had a run-in with her wax potpourri warmer. The cord got hung up on something she was picking up, and naturally, the whole pot tipped over and spewed on the nearby wall. Fortunately, no wax burns or anything happened, but after removing the wax itself from the wall, there are now red stains from the wax on the wall. Our walls are that "vinyl wallpaper covered" type walls that you find in older modulars and manufactured houses. we are baffled as to what to use to remove the stains (and we're selling, so aside from painting over it-- which we haven't the time or the money for!-- we really need a solution (no pun intended!) for this mess. I've had better luck taking crayon of all kinds of walls, in the past!

Tried bleach dabbed on, all purpose oxy-cleaner, Ajax powdered cleanser...no results. What next??

HELP!! Does anyone have an idea?? We need one!! Thanks!

~~Laurie

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  1:27:22 PM  Show Profile
Oh dear, Laurie. I blew out red candles and wax splattered on our latex painted walls - same results as you have had so far - the wax is gone, but the stains remain. My solution? An "artfully" placed lovely oil painting of a barn!

I wish I had some better ideas - one thing I can think of is that if the wallpaper is matte finish, you might be able to quickly and easily cover the marks with "Scuff Magic" shoe polish - you can get it at the K-Market (as we call it) or just about anywhere. I use it on baby shoes, and it covers ANYTHING. Maybe a long shot, but hope it helps!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  1:36:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Unfortunatly I must agree that you are probably stuck with them. My family used to have these wonderful (old) bubble lights for christmas. One year a red one fell and broke on our vinyl landing and the spots never ever came out. In my experience as a professional housecleaner, the red dye and the heat combine to drive the dye deep into the relativly soft surface of vinyl. You could try getting a small bottle of craft paint to cover just that area if you could get it to match.

Sorry for the bad news!
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  6:23:39 PM  Show Profile
You might try one of those Mr.Clean magic erasers. THey take off alot of different things.

~~My Blog~~
Bridge's Bargains~Click to see
Go to Top of Page

wildhorsemom
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Laurie
Illinois
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  8:24:19 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, ladies! My hope is renewed. Unfortunately, Libbie, a painting of anything at all would look silly two feet above the floor, lol! My daughter was hiding it-- from her dad, really, who we all know as a neat freak with a short fuse-- I discovered it while tidying up her room before a prospective buyer came to look. She knows now that *I'm* not mad at her, but we aren't revealing this to Dad till it can be fixed and/or the house is sold! Meanwhile, we need to "repair" it or hide it somehow, because her desk and scrapbooking boxes won't be there forever!

I like your idea, Bridge...I have one of those "magic eraser" or "magic sponge" thingys...I never thought of trying it. Will tomorrow...let ya know what comes of it!

But Alyssa, I think your idea will probably wind up being the cure, here. I can't afford to pain the whole room, nor do I have the time right now. But I AM very good at matching colors and tints and such-- the benefits of being an artisan, lol!-- and I think I'll get some of my acrylics out tomorrow (after the sponge experiment!), and "patch it up", so to speak. By jove, you all have given me some good new ideas! Thanks! I'll go tell my daughter right now, before she goes to sleep...she'll be happier too!

~~Laurie
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  08:40:28 AM  Show Profile
You could also try putting a paper towel over the area, then pressing with a warm iron on dry setting. It might help bring the rest of the wax off. Unfortunately not sure what it would do to the viny wallpaper!

Mine is just a little old fashioned garden where the flowers come together to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise.
-- Celia Thaxter

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Red wax on a "vinyl" wall...help! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page