New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic fruit flies in my home Next Topic  

Judi
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

34 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  12:19:22 PM  Show Profile
I have a worm compost bin in my basement, and I'm having a real problem with fruit flies coming up and into my kitchen. Whenever I have an open bowl of fruit, or food on the counter, they congregate. Any ideas (other than getting rid of my worms?)

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  1:21:18 PM  Show Profile
I've just been reading a lot about worm composting! (Science Fair potential project) Anyway, one suggestion was to put light cardboard on top of what you are feeding and that may help with flies. Good luck.
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  1:33:55 PM  Show Profile
We have a heck of a time with fruit flies in the fall. My Mom came up with a good idea that worked. She put a jar with a piece of banana in it on the counter with plastic wrap over the top held tight with an elastic band. She poked tiny holes in it, just enough for the fruit flies to get in, but not back out. It looked really nasty after a couple of days, but it sure worked!

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  4:14:21 PM  Show Profile
Oh Judi, I get fruitflies, too, but just from fruit I bring indoors (organic, natch). I never have this problem with store-bought stuff (too often, alas, not organic). It didn't occur to me to look to a source other than the fruit itself. I try to remember to wash fruit thoroughly and not let it lie about long enough to get "fly-friendly." That seems to help a bit, but it seems those little suckers are a truly determined lot.

Love the idea of your worm compost bin! Our old farmhouse doesn't have a basement, but we do have some poorly insulated storage areas on the first floor that could perhaps house such a work of art. Would you mind telling about yours? (Maybe in another forum, such as Garden Gate?)

Rosemary
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  5:23:20 PM  Show Profile
I keep a small bucket in the kitchen to catch all my scraps of the day that will be hauled to the compost heap. I just can't run to the heap each time I cut something up or crack an egg. My husband was on his last nerve with me and my bucket. The plastic bag worked for me, too. I did it a bit differently....At the end of the day, I'd leave the top of the bag open for about 30 minutes and while the kitchen was quiet. I'd grab up the neck of the bag and twist it. I'd laugh my mad scientist laugh and rush out the door with all the little buggies flying around in the bag.
What has worked the last 2 months is the old, trustworthy, durable, flystrip! I found some at Walmart for $1 a piece. I haven't had a fly since. Now, I do have the little critters on the strip. But, they're not reproducing. If my compost bucket gets a few bugs, it's just a matter of hours before they make it to the strip. It is in a discreet area in my kitchen....away from food or preparation area. Since you've got the basement, you probably could hang one in there with the worm farm. (I had an Uncle Fred that was a worm farmer....actually made a good living raising worms and selling them to bait shops. One of my jobs every now and then was to break'em in half to increase the population...yick!)
Hope this helps a bit!

Blessings!
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Judi
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

34 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  6:03:32 PM  Show Profile
What great ideas you all have! I will try them! I will also post my worm bin info on Garden Gate, although I'm sure I don't do it quite right. Last year I had my kids laying on the basement floor picking worms out of the finished compost for the next batch! There's got to be a better way, and I'm sure I'll hear it!
Go to Top of Page

Judi
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

34 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2006 :  6:49:09 PM  Show Profile
Daisy Farm,

tried your idea about the banana peel in a jar, and it works! My husband is so impressed with the number of fruit flies we have been getting. I also covered the top of the compost with some heavy paper. It seems to be getting better. Thanks, farm-girl!
Go to Top of Page

Krisathome
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kristin
Iowa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2006 :  07:00:12 AM  Show Profile
Whenever I get those little pests I put alittle apple cider vinegar and a squirt of dishwashing liquid in shallow containers on the counters. The silly flies fly in and drown. Easy and cheap and nontoxic...I like that!

Edited by - Krisathome on Jan 30 2006 07:00:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2006 :  1:54:06 PM  Show Profile
I'm with Kristin - ACV and a drop of dish soap takes care of them around here!

Cyndi
Joshua 24:15

Ol 'MacDonald has nothing on us!
http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Judi
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

34 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2006 :  7:46:15 PM  Show Profile
I've had similar "success" (?) with wine...learned this when i reach for my wine glass and there are five fruit flies floating in the bottom. Lucky i drink cheap wine.
Go to Top of Page

Krisathome
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kristin
Iowa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  7:46:19 PM  Show Profile
It must be the scent of fermented fruit that they like. Nothing like a glass full of bugs! YUCK!
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic fruit flies in my home Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page