Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Spring Cleaning, Farmhouse Style...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Spring Cleaning, Farmhouse Style... Next Topic
Page: of 3

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  03:10:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I most certainly am- bit by bit. That has more to do with the fact that we have a baby due soon though...

Alee
Go to Top of Page

EmmJay
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Mary Jane
Amherst Nova Scotia
Canada
352 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  06:23:36 AM  Show Profile
I am really not looking forward to it, but getting ready none the less. As I mentioned before, we have an old farm house, that FIL had and man, we are still cleaning and trying to fix up as we go. It has only been over a year, and still LOTS to do.
I did stock up on vinegar already, as this is the window and mirror cleaner (you just can't beat it).
MJ

"Thank GOD I'm a country girl"
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/EmmJay07/
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  10:37:07 AM  Show Profile
You ever notice how one cleaning project leads to another? I try to make lists....give everyone their own list of jobs....and hopefully no one misses anything. Why is it that we feel happy when everything is all nice and sparkly? I don't know. I just do! And I agree.....Borateem....vinegar...baking soda....and murphys oil along with a couple of bags of rags. Color me happy! Susan
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  10:57:36 AM  Show Profile
We just painted the kitchen yesterday and today I totally cleaned everything in there before I put it back together. I will move into the mudroom this week after dh paints in there. I do one room at a time from top to bottom. This feels good to me. I will never be a person who can keep up daily because I work a lot all year and to be honest, we can be sloppy at times.

I use Borax and a little tiny drop of dish soap plus hot water to clean almost everything. I use vinegar and baking soda a lot too. After years of commercial cleaners, I am down to pretty much nothing now, and my house is actually cleaner looking when I am done! I do clean each Saturday, which believe it or not, I enjoy. I listen to NPR and get to have a nice day at home.

I am making curtains for the kitchen too, and all matching tea towels, so it will look great when done. I always add new things, either from other rooms, or from my sewing machine, to my rooms after spring cleaning. Then it looks like a new house!
Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  08:55:12 AM  Show Profile
I always do spring cleaning! I dont think it is an outdated notion at all. Spring is a time of renewal and is a great time to clean out the closets, scrub the carpets and rearrange the furniture among other things. This year we are moving so I had the great opportunity to pare down and throw away a lot more stuff when cleaning.

Shelle

http://janzenfamilyjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  09:25:49 AM  Show Profile
I just plain like to clean, and putter. Been working on the attic first, before it gets to hot up there.
Even this morning, and its only about 30 out, I turned the heat down and opened three windows and went to the thrift store, came home and the house smelled so much fresher.Looking forward to those warm spring winds.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  12:49:34 AM  Show Profile
My plan for spring cleaning this year is to start at the top of the house and move to the bottom, saving the "basement" (read: small dirt box of a room where the water heater, furnace and some storage live) for last. I'm aiming to finish it in the month of April. It feels SO good when it's done - that is a super motivating factor for me.

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  09:33:00 AM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by Libbie

Dawnn - That's so funny that you're doing kids clothes this weekend - that's my next area, too. Those little things breed in the chest of drawers, I think! It's really hard to let go of some stuff, for me, too - [quote]

We are drowning in clothing. My girls could open a boutique (2 girls = 10,000 articles of clothing).

And my 8 month old just received 3 tubs of 2T clothing, I have never had that many baby clothes for one child!!!

I've got to get someone to come and help me!!!!

Then there's just the normal stuff: sheets, pillows, blankets, etc. Why don't we just get some hammocks? I'm caught up on towels.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.

Edited by - _Rebecca_ on Mar 27 2007 10:34:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  11:55:05 PM  Show Profile
Just bumping this one up so I can tell you that I have thoroughly cleaned (scrubbed with a brush) the back and front porches, including the walls - and gotten rid of all of the stuff that seems to accumulate by the doorways over the winter. Ugh. DONE, however!

Next is the living room - washing curtains, moving furniture to vacuum...

How's your spring cleaning going?

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  07:24:55 AM  Show Profile
Really procrastinating on washing all the windows. Waiting for a foggy morning. Oh! wait! Its foggy today! Hmmm.... Garden ,windows,garden ,windows! Can you guess what will win?
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9325 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9325 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  3:34:57 PM  Show Profile
Jana, How do you use the soda for the scratch marks? I have a few on the stove I would like to give it a try. Spray bottle?

Laura, We use a woodstove and I am just waiting for it to warm up so we can clean it out and get a handle on the dust it causes.

I am battling the beginnings of a cold and sore throat so I won't be starting to do to much cleaning just yet.

We have some major renovations going on too. For the last year and a half. I decided to just ignore those rooms. ( we are building an addition and only two rooms are pretty well done. The third we are working on, slowly it goes.)
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  08:39:27 AM  Show Profile
Okay - really - I'm going to do the living room today. Ummmm....really... If it's not so nice that I can't stand to be inside!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  09:38:18 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I am AWFUL at proper cleaning... not to say that we live in complete filth (certainly not!) but I just can never get motivated to do the proper, seasonal strip down of washing walls, cleaning radiators, moving furniture, dusting in places I didn't know existed... how do you all get motivated to do this? And do you tend to do the whole house at once, or do a little bit every day?

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Now Open!: http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2007 :  1:55:04 PM  Show Profile
Libbie, how do you handle hard water?

We have some serious hard water build up on our shower and tub in our new (old) farm house...I don't do well with strong cleaners (my sinuses are sensitive to chemicals) but I am seriously considering buying some Lime Away by the gallon!

Help!
Kate

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2007 :  2:54:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ladies-

I get motivated to do a whole spring cleaning by thoroughly cleaning one room. Preferably a very SMALL room! Once I see how great that one room looks- I get inspired to clean more. Plus once that fresh smell starts getting around the house from cleaning and vacuuming- it helps keep me going. Now my only slow down is if Nora needs attention. Luckily she sleeps for nice long naps!

Kate- for mild hard water residue buildup- try straight vinegar. Acid breaks up the alkaline build up (which is what hard water mineral deposits are). Try soaking all removable faucet screens in straight vinegar for a day and you should see a better flow when replaced. For reddish stains in toilet bowls, sinks and bath tubs you might need to get a pumice stone to get rid of the build-up. Once you have the build up removed you should be able to keep it clean with vinegar though. You can also try a paste made of baking soda and washing soda to remove soap scum.

Here is a link to a list of a lot of cleaning recipes. I haven’t tried these, just found them. Some of them look really helpful though.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Prairie/8088/clngrn.html

Off I go to clean my kitchen and hopefully get some windows cleaned!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  07:34:38 AM  Show Profile
we are finally done with replacing floors, painting rooms, trim etc. So now I am going room by room and cleaning (most of the mess was cleaned up as we worked and painted, so it is not too bad now) and putting in the area rugs, furniture and curtains, etc. It will be all done with any luck this weekend. We are in for a major noreaster tomorrow, so if the main house is back together, I will do the attic tomorrow! Then, it will be all new and just need daily picking up!

YAY
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  10:01:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow- It sounds like your house has had a major face-lift! I hope I have that kind of energy today. I really need to get some vacuuming and carpet shampooing done! Want to come to my house and help?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  10:11:31 AM  Show Profile
The only room left to do is the kitchen. It's a big room with six windows in it. I bought cranberry homespun material to make curtains with but haven't gotten that far yet. All the other rooms, windows, etc. are done. I'm hoping to get to it this week. I don't remember which one of you said you like vinegar a lot but so do I. I buy it in the gallon jugs. Vinegar is real good in the washing machine. I clean six houses and I have convinced all but one that all I need is vinegar, baking soda, and a little Murphy's oil to clean. I'm still working on the sixth person. Happy Cleaning! There's a Nor'Easter on the way for tomorrow. Yippee!!!! Susan (I;m kidding about the yippee part.)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  2:49:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Susan-

I used to clean houses professionally as well. I had several clients who liked me to use organic and safe cleaners that I made myself. Vinegar is definitely a staple!

That cranberry colored fabric sounds wonderful especially since you said you have 6 windows in your kitchen.

I was hoping to get some cleaning done today but Nora doesn’t seem to want to settle in for her afternoon nap. Good luck with you cleaning!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  09:44:09 AM  Show Profile
Hard water buildup is a tough one - we have it in abundance around here. I have to say, when we moved in, I had to just about bathe all of the fixtures in CLR (nasty stuff that it is), and now I can use straight white vinegar to keep things under control. I hate to have used such toxic stuff in the house, but I figured that I'd nuke it once and then not use the toxins - it seemed better to me than using a little bit of toxic stuff EVERY week forever...

So, my upstairs has been "spring cleaned" except for washing the curtains - that's next on the list - and now it's onward and downward!

How are you all doing?

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  1:32:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We kindof got stalled. Nora has been changing her sleeping patterns daily- or should I say she doesn't have a pattern? We did get the laundry done yesterday- Does that count?

Aleeq
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  1:46:17 PM  Show Profile
Libbie, I'm with you on having to use but hating the CLR. I had to break down & buy a bottle because the showerheads were so clogged, and felt horrible about it.

I have been tackling two rooms each weekend. I started by cleaning the celing fans, then the window treatments, then the windows, and worked my way around the room. I have finished the spring cleaning as of today when I put a freshly ironed bedsirt on the box spring, flipped the mattress, and pulled out the summerweight blankets. I had hoped to have finished my yo-yo coverlet by now, but it should be done in a couple of weeks, Memorial day at the latest.

I have become enamored of Mrs. Meyers nontoxic cleaning products - the honeysuckle set I treated myself to for spring cleaning is divine! Other than that, it's vinegar, baking soda, and lemons.
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  1:50:52 PM  Show Profile
PS, I have become strangely enamored of a show on BBA America called "How Clean Is Your House?" Are there any Farmgirl fans out there? These two housekeeping saints go into the most miserably fithy homes in Britain and clean to a spit-shine. The "befores" are absolute horrors - the mess some people live in is astounding - but the "afters" are so inspiring........
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  2:06:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jennifer-

Oh My Gosh! I love those shows! There is a USA version as well. It's scary to see what some people will live in! I saw one where this lady had no hygiene with her cat's litter box and such. It was horrible! I figure if they can get those houses clean, then mine isn't so bad after all. What always blows my mind is when the cleaners have to where special suits or breathing apparatus because of all the health hazards- and there was someone living there unprotected! Yikes!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  08:58:09 AM  Show Profile
Herbal Homekeeping by Sandy Maine is an excellant book!! I made a cleanser out of the book that uses grated castile soap, borax,baking soda and essential oils. I absolutely love it. I use orange, peppermint and tea trea essential oils. I also dilute it down and use it in a spray bottle on my countertops.

Happy Cleaning

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
http://18happyhens.blogspot.com
www.LaMargueriteFarm.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Spring Cleaning, Farmhouse Style... Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page