Beecharmer
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Kelly
Richland WA
USA
37 Posts

Posted - May 13 2007 :  8:16:40 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone know why the seals on windows break and discoloration between the glass panes occur? Our manufactured home was new in 2000 and we have 4-5 windows with this condition. Shouldn't winows last longer than 7 years? We are the second owners of this place and have no idea about warranties on manufactured homes or if we have done something to cause this problem.

Ideas and suggestions welcome :)

Kelly

GrayHawk Farm
Prosser, WA

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - May 13 2007 :  9:44:21 PM  Show Profile
Oh I wish I knew! Im sorry I cant be of any help. But I hope you find the answer!

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 14 2007 :  08:17:38 AM  Show Profile
Chances are any warrenties are no longer valid on windows because you are new owners. Most likely they were very cheap windows that were installed. Most doublepained windows are filled with a gas and then sealed. Things such as temerpature change, age, improper instillation etc. can all cause the seals to crack or break. When the gas escapes it allows air (and thus moisture) to fill in the spaces causeing discoloration, mold etc. Secondly with the vapor barrier no longer in place the air can flow in and out of the house easier making the windows not very effective for insullation. We had this problem and had to replace all the windows in the house. It was expensive but the savings in our energy bills and the aesthetics of nice see-through windows was worth it.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - May 14 2007 :  11:22:11 AM  Show Profile
There are several things I would try before I purchased new windows. My experience has been that if you need that many windows replaced chance are they are all going to be replaced.
Do you know that manufacturer and model of your manufactured home? In the state of Washington there is a 10 year construction warrenty. It may apply to windows, I'm not sure. I would contact the manufacturer and find out what the warrenty is. If the manufacturer won't cover it find out who made the wondows, There may possible be a recall on the windows themselves.
Wishing you good luck.
Laura

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 14 2007 :  12:28:45 PM  Show Profile
See we had this problem with our house. The construction didn't cover it and they told us to contact the manufacturer. The problem is they were cheap windows and the manufacturer only had about a 6 month warrenty but we were also told they were improperly installed so any warrenty would have been void. If you are having this problem in that many windows I would honestly reccommend getting new ones but but from a well know company and have the company install them so you don't void the warrenties!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - May 17 2007 :  12:50:24 AM  Show Profile
Kelly,

We ran into the same problem as you with the seals breaking on replacement windows, so we footed the bill for newer, nicer windows, which were installed improperly. They are drafty and my poor hubby has caulked everything he could think of except caulking the darn things shut! Soon we are really going to have to think about replacing them again and I'm thinking we may do this ourselves. Gosh, it couldn't be any worse.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Beecharmer
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Kelly
Richland WA
USA
37 Posts

Posted - May 18 2007 :  12:42:14 AM  Show Profile
Alrighty here is what I came up with. Our house is a 2000 Guerdon. We are 3rd owners. Guerdon doesnt make manufactureds anymore, they switched to modular (very cool styles I might add) I called the plant in Boise. They did some research on what company provided the windows- tada- that biusiness is now bankrupt. The window company is however still honoring their warranties. We have to fill out a claims form and wait. The lady at Guerdon said that the window company is not replacing windows but offering cash settlements. How much I don't know. She also said to fill out claims form COMPLETELY no blanks they are looking for easy ways to refute claims.
In the mean time I found some self adhesive removable stain glass film I had bought for another house. I am going to put it over the damaged windows so they don't look so terrible.
Oh by the way when I called the local Guerdon dealer for info he said he his mother and one of our neighbors are also having window problems. Both have the same year and brand of house. Thought it must have been a bad batch of windows because the brand was supposedly very good.
Will keep you all posted.
Kelly

GrayHawk Farm
Prosser, WA
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 18 2007 :  4:27:39 PM  Show Profile
Don't do anything to those windows before your claim is processed and possibly inspected. If you put the film on them they may say that this affected the performance of the window in some way and not honor your claim. After my husband used to do HOW (Home Owner Waranty) inspections he always said that the product companies were always looking for a way to weasel out of meeting their obligations. Don't take the risk if you think they will actually honor your original waranty. Good luck!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Beecharmer
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Kelly
Richland WA
USA
37 Posts

Posted - May 18 2007 :  10:27:47 PM  Show Profile
thank you for the advice.

Kelly