Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  07:43:39 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Ladies,
I just came in from the garden and my squash plants have white looking stuff on their leaves. Does anyone know what this is? What I can do about it. The plants themselves look healthy and they are producing. I am stumped.

Puzzled,
Tina

abigailc1973
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

abigail
orlando fl
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  11:13:36 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Tina. Could it be powdery mildew? I've gotten that on my cucumbers and squash down here, especially when it's been humid and wet. I tried the homemade soap spray with a little baking soda in it and seemed to take care of it. I think it's a gallon of water mixed with 1 tbsp of baking soda and a 1/2 tsp of baby shampoo or mild soap, nothing antibacterial or highly fragranced. I don't put the oil in as some suggest because even if I spray it in the a.m. it still seems to burn leaves. I think it's just too hot down here to use the oil. I could probably use it in the winter here, but then I usually don't have a mildew problem. I also learned to water in the morning so the leaves can dry by nightfall. Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  12:10:37 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Abigail I will try that.

Tina
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2009 :  05:45:59 AM  Show Profile
I am so glad there are such smart farmgirl sisters here that have such good ideas! I have learned so much by reading these posts here and will try alot of these remedies. I hate using chemicals and will try anything that is homemade.

I am glad Abigail was able to help you, Tina. Very good advice.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  3:53:18 PM  Show Profile
Here's a funny story about "squash". When I was fairly , newly married, Many moons ago. I planted my first veggy garden. Well I wanted to have plenty of everything, and all the excess I would can. I planted "4", 100 foot rows of squash, I love squash, what i did not know yet was that "squash" grows so well and fast here, before I knew it, I had 100's of squash every couple of days. Well I couldn't waste it, so I would drive to all my neighbors places and drop off squash, their porches, mailboxes, yes I gave it to the mailman also, community center, soup kitchen , sheriffs dept, senior center, schools, any where I could think of. After a few weeks of doing this, I started noticeing locked gates, closed curtains, nasty notes, and nasty suggestions of where to put my squash, but, the worst was when a deputy showed up and told me if he got one more complaint about my squash, "HE WOULD ARREST ME". So i learned the hard way, that 2 to 4 plants, is usually more than enough, LOL.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  4:47:27 PM  Show Profile
Teresa, I am ROFL my head off. i can just pictur you. Of cource my mind goes on and you have a trench coat on dropping squash off at drop sites.lol Or maybe you were Santa, "Have you been a good litttle girl this year, here Santa has some nice squash for you!!"lol oh my, anyway good story.

Tina
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  5:09:12 PM  Show Profile
I think I am probably going to have the same problem, Teresa. I just picked a huge basket of squash and zuc. And I won't go to the farmer's market til next Wed. So I think I will take it to someone who needs it like a nursing home or community kitchen.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  2:14:13 PM  Show Profile
LOL!!! My mom told me a similar story and she said she felt like she was never going to see an end to it! It was when they were first married and my dad had planted a garden for them and they just couldn't keep up with the amount of zucchini he had planted...the neighbors were the recipients of this treasure whether they wanted it or not! I planted just two plants with that in mind!

Playing in the Sonshine
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/sonshine4u
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Squash Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page