deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  11:05:58 AM  Show Profile
...because even though I did not meet my personal goal of planting 90% heirloom varieties... I did about 70%. I lost a lot due to inexperience and starting seed too early. So I had to replant with my leftover seed. Then, I lost some of that due to Mother Nature, and I had to buy transplants and even though some of the tags say they are heirloom, I can't say that the seed itself hasn't been treated. So... my 1/4 acre garden is about 70% heirloom, with fertilizer courtesy of the horse farm up the road and my chickies. I had to dress the plants with some lime because the ground around here is pretty sour, and I dusted with Red Lake Earth because there's a bug around here that REALLY like zuchinni... so all in all, I'm pretty pleased!

So how does your garden grow?

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~the only thing for certain, is uncertainty~

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  1:16:14 PM  Show Profile
I grow 100% organic, but sometimes that can be a curse. Every 5-7 years we get an onslot of grasshopers, and this is one of the years. I lost all my ochra, and all but one of my brocolli plants, and its too late to start more. I have been tempted to get bug killers in the past, but as I said , only tempted. The joys and heartache of farming/ranching. I will have to buy from the farmers markets this year, as long as I can get organic.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  6:49:31 PM  Show Profile
Oh! we have lots of grasshoppers. I had no idea they eat okra. Their funny looking grasshoppers; black, red, yellow.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  08:38:24 AM  Show Profile
Great job Dawn!! I guess I'm about 50% heirloom this year. I had the same problems with starting my seeds. I got them strated to early and the ground was so wet I couldn't get them out. Not to mention the goats kept getting out and eating up what was in the raised beds!Live and Learn is what I say! Next year I will know to not start my seeds until the garden is tilled at least once. Hope you have a big ol' harvest!!! We're just know getting everything planted so it may be October before we start getting ours!! Oh well, somethings better than nothing.

http://afarmgirljourney.blogspot.com/
Farmgirl Sister #492

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. -Carl Bard
Go to Top of Page

SpiritedRose
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Michelle
Chestertown MD
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  09:11:15 AM  Show Profile
We planted late... end of May when we moved, and everything came up awesome! My plants are almost as tall as plants that were grown earlier then got hit by a ton of rain. I think we just planted at a good time, but who knows what the weather will be up to for sure!?

I hope to keep seeds from everything I planted, except the corn.

Homemaker FarmGirl
Has a great husband,
Registered Jersey breeder,
AKC Akita breeder,
and Two favorite cats!

spiritedrose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  09:43:11 AM  Show Profile
And today, I drove the big ol truck at work loaded with lumber! Look at me! I'm a big rigger!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~the only thing for certain, is uncertainty~
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  10:51:46 AM  Show Profile
I save my own seeds every year. It really saves on the Pocket book! AND-- you KNOW where they come from! I have noticed though, that Burpee has a line of "Organically Certified" seed this year. It's more expensive than the "regular" seeds, but I guess it's worth it to someone who can't order from organic suppliers on-line, and it DOES save on the extra cost of shipping.

My garden WOULD be 100% organic heirlooms if I didn't have to share the space with my Hubby. He goes nuts every year buying those stupid "Early Girl" tomatoes-- while I'm planting things like "Cherokee Purple", "Black Zebra," "Abraham Lincoln" etc..... along with hierloom cucumbers, squash and melons, beets and several types of beans. If I can't save the seeds and plant them the following year, I don't WANT it in my garden! But, he DOES do all the tilling, so I guess I have to give him a LITTLE space (LOL!!)

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  10:52:46 AM  Show Profile
And Dawn-- YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!! ~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  1:29:50 PM  Show Profile
I tried to get as many heirloom seeds as I could this year and everything has been working so far, except the tomato and pepper seeds I started indoors. I don't know what happened, they just croaked! So I had to get some heirlooms from a local garden store and some other non-heirloom varieties of tomatoes and peppers to supplement my seedling disaster!
I am so excited to see my crazy watermelon and muskmelon varieties. The peas are doing great so far and everything else has poked out of the earth. I love experimenting with crazy heirloom varieties! You can always get "uniform" fruit and veggies at the grocery store if you want to be boring...LOL!!!

Playing in the Sonshine
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/sonshine4u
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic I'm proud of myself... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page