Page: of 2

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2006 :  4:29:59 PM  Show Profile
Kay, so sorry your having troubles with the starter. Here is the one that I saved that is posted on Sue's webpage....

Quick Overnight Starter
1 pkg. plus 1 Tb. dry yeast
4 c. lukewarm water
4 c. all purpose flour
Dissolve yeast in a small amount of lukewarm water. Stir flour into remaining water and add yeast mixture. Mix well and cover. Let mixture stand in a draft free place for at least 6 hours or overnight is best.

I did 2 1/4 tsp. and 1 Tablespoon yeast and haven't had a problem yet. Good luck!!!
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  04:35:21 AM  Show Profile
Sue, thanks for the herb biscuit recipe! I'll be making those soon! And while I haven't taken the time yet to look at your blog, I hope to do that soon. I really love sourdough, and it sounds like you have a lot of experience there. Thanks again for sharing!

"What another would do as well as you, do not do it. What another would have said as well as you, do not say it; written as well, do not write it. Be faithful to that which exists nowhere but in yourself, and there, make yourself indispensable." ---Andre Gide
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  04:37:03 AM  Show Profile
Oh dear Kay, Im so sorry to hear of more sourdough troubles, I"m just stumped! What kind of yeast are you using? That shouldn't make a difference but am curious? Krisiti posted the correct recipe, maybe you should start all over again, you are using all purpose flour right? And to make it clear, when you cover it, it's not sealed is it? I just lay the lid on top. I keep mine in the oven, it's always nice and warm from the pilot light. If you want, I can post another starter recipe, maybe a honey starter or pototoe starter might work better for you? Just let me know. Don't give up, we'll get you baking yet!

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  09:26:35 AM  Show Profile
I'm using all purpose flour and Fleishmann's yeast. I made up my 3rd batch of starter yesterday using Sue's recipe only I reduced the yeast to 2 tsps. It still erupted like a volcano. I took a cup out for biscuits -- which turned out pretty darned good although didn't raise very high - then added a cup of water to the starter to thin it out. It seems to be better this AM but we'll see. Is your starter thick and gloppy? I'm just starter impaired!!!!

Mine is just a little old fashioned garden where the flowers come together to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise.
-- Celia Thaxter

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  11:13:10 AM  Show Profile
Kay, your a hoot, starter impaired, love it!!! Some starters are thick and gloppy, some arent'? The one I've been using is a pototoe starter I got from a farmgirl, it's thinner than I'm used too but seems to be working just fine. I did make those herb biscuits over the weekend, the recipe I posted, and I didn't care for them, they didnt' rise like biscuits should and the flavor was bland. But like I said, it was a good day to try out new recipes so now I know I won't be using that one again. I'm just stumped to as why your starters erupt like volcanos? Keep us posted and you get the GOLD metal for sticking to it and winning your battle with sourdough!! LOL

Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  08:37:40 AM  Show Profile
Well I have a loaf of bread in rising right now so hopefully it will turn out ok. When I went to get the starter out though I noticed there were little whit floating things on top of the liquid part that seperates. Is that normal? The starter smelled fine.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  5:06:04 PM  Show Profile
By Jove -- I think I got it! I decided to try Sue's sour dough starter one more time. I made a few adjustments though. Used 1 tsp yeast to 2 cups flour and 2 cups water. I'm proud to report the starter is behaving nicely and not crawling out of the container. YEAH!

So now how do I keep it alive? If I use one cup of starter do I add back one cup of flour and one cup of water plus a pinch of yeast?

Mine is just a little old fashioned garden where the flowers come together to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise.
-- Celia Thaxter

Edited by - therusticcottage on Mar 01 2006 5:09:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  04:34:31 AM  Show Profile
You got it Kay!! Yippie!!!! Starters are funny at times, and I think where we live may have something to do with it too, like different altitudes maybe? Just replenish like you posted and you should have a starter for life! lol

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  07:38:51 AM  Show Profile
Checked the started this morning and it's coming along wonderfully. I'm so excited. I'm making pizza dough for my daughter's birthday party tomorrow. Thanks Sue for all your help.

-- Celia Thaxter

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  11:59:55 AM  Show Profile
No problem Kay, I'm just glad you won the battle and can enjoy it now, and that reminds me, I still want to make pizza with a sourdough crust, soon! Thanks!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic HELP!! Sourdough recipe... Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page