Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 How far, in hours, are you from MJF?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic How far, in hours, are you from MJF? Next Topic
Page: of 2

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  4:10:29 PM  Show Profile
I mentioned to dh about my attending the Farm Fair this summer, and he reminded me that Idaho is really far away. YOu see, I'm geography-challenged and had no idea. I used mapquest to see how long it would take me to drive -- 29 hours!!!!

What about you? How long would it take you to drive to MJF? We could plan a gigantic caravan of carpooling farmgirls, stopping at points along the way to pick folks up. I can see us now!

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  4:43:34 PM  Show Profile
I checked last week. It's about 34 hours and some 2300 miles. I was hoping to fly there but I can't swing the airfare....hoping for next year. Aunt Jenny and Patricia / Utahfarmgirl were so gracious as to offer me a pillow and a ride if I could make up to them. Super Gals!!

The drive would be beautiful and so motivating if you've got gals up ahead waiting for you to drive together. I've never driven beyond 5 hours from where I live so, I don't know if I could drive more than 10 hours a day. With that, it would take me 3 days to get there. Because I haven't traveled that way before I know I would be so tempted to sight see along the way and would not really cover much mileage....thus, taking me longer than 3 days.

A gigantic caravan sounds wonderful and tons of fun. Do you think you might do it?

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

SmallTownGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Rose

USA
117 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  5:05:17 PM  Show Profile
I checked and we are 19 hours and 34 minutes. I really really want to go this year but our car is not in good driving condition. Plus all I have ever drived on is dirt roads, but my honey doesn't mind driving. If only we could afford a better vehicle.

Remember what you now have was once among the things only hoped for.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  5:32:47 PM  Show Profile
12 hours and 1/2 was what it said on Mapquest for us...yeehaw...I can do that!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  5:44:31 PM  Show Profile
I'm a teacher and off for the summer, plus I've always dreamed of taking a road trip, so I'm really considering it. Catherine, I would do like you said, sightsee on the way, so it would take me more than 29 hours to make the drive. The only thing is that I'm really trying to be frugal and put as much money as I can toward becoming debt-free, except for the farm when we buy it, so the hotel bills on the way are an issue. Food isn't a big deal -- I'm a cheap eater and would probably fill a couple of coolers with bottled water, fruit, and veggies, and I'd be fine. I'm going to map out the trip and see what I can work out. Maybe we can start a thread of people making the trip and see if we could work out some sort of carpool thing.

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  6:15:31 PM  Show Profile
I'm about 13-15 hours - it's really a beautiful drive from where I am up through Idaho. I loved it. Sometimes long drives are really pretty meditative for me (especially when I can take advantage of cruise control!).

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

rosebud74a
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Stacy
Maryland NY
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  6:31:42 PM  Show Profile  Send rosebud74a an AOL message
39 hours and 15 minutes...lol and a mere 2681.88 miles. not sure I will make it this year.
I am so bad a geography too..I thought it was a lot closer, like near ohio. I was shocked to see how far away it was...maybe next year.
Stacy

Aim above morality. Be not simply good, be good for something
Henry David Thoreau

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  8:37:36 PM  Show Profile
I am about 9 hours away and would love to make Farm Fair this summer. But if we make the move to IL then I'll be much farther away! Patti -- we could carpool together and just pick up gals all along the way!

Mine is just a little old fashioned garden where the flowers come together to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise.
-- Celia Thaxter

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  8:40:04 PM  Show Profile
For those considering flying check out Frontier Airlines. That's the airline I use when I fly to IL and their prices are so much cheaper. They run specials all the time. Sometimes you can get round trip for less than $200 if you can purchase the ticket in 24 hours. I get the specials emailed to me all the time so will be happy to pass along the info to anyone that wants it.

Mine is just a little old fashioned garden where the flowers come together to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise.
-- Celia Thaxter

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  9:41:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
We are only about 6 hours which is nothing compared to most of you!

You could all look into Amtrak too...that would be a nice train ride. Some of us could pick you up in Spokane...and motels should be cheap in that area as Pullman, WA which is right across the state line is a college town and school will be out by then!

Also check airfare on Expedia.com, Priceline.com, Cheaptickets.com, etc.
Hope you can work it out ladies!!
Go to Top of Page

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  10:07:03 PM  Show Profile
For once I'm pretty much "in the right place at the right time"! I only live a couple of hours north.

There is a wonderful county park, Kamiak Butte, about ten miles north of Pullman. There is a very rustic, but wonderful, campground there (outhouse in the campground but a bathroom with running water at the picnic area). Kamiak Butte is an island of trees in the sea of the rolling farmland of the Palouse. I named my younger dog, Kami, after it.

This area is very scenice and diverse. Of course, I'm kinda partial, although there are so many wonderful places on Earth!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  10:30:36 PM  Show Profile
I am approx. 6 hours from the farm. My grandaughter is in collage at W.S.U in Pullman , Washington and it is just a hop from there. Last summer while we were on vacation we found the farm but it didn't open until 2:00P.M. I believe , and we couldn't wait . I was so disappointed I could of cried.

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun "
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  10:38:03 PM  Show Profile
yep Im close to about 6-7 hours,
That certainly sounds like fun this summer. what month is it.
Ill be gone to Italy in May, Stehekin in June, might as well be gone some more, ROFL
shirley
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2006 :  07:55:13 AM  Show Profile
I'm closer then I thought. We are about 367 miles away, a 6 hour 20 minute drive. Would like to go but can't get the time off to be there. Maybe next year.

Anne In Portland, OR

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2006 :  09:59:43 AM  Show Profile
Wow! It's farther than I thought....1313.23 miles or 19hrs from Colo. Luzy

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2006 :  10:51:35 AM  Show Profile
1519.4 miles, 23 hours, 22 minutes. Don't think I can afford it this summer, plus my husband turns 50 (June 28) and wants the big "Yea Me" party thing. Our son graduates HS the first weekend in June and I suggested splitting the difference and throwing a double party, but no. Next summer I'm planning to do a covered wagon trip and don't know if I can do both...Oh well, a great part of being a farmgirl is having a dream, right?
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2006 :  12:21:44 PM  Show Profile
Anybody who wants to fly into SLC can bunk with Stuie and me. I think Jenny still has a couple of seats left in her van.

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2006 :  12:35:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am about 15 minutes away- I live in Moscow ID :)
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2006 :  1:22:52 PM  Show Profile
CHILE' .. that depends on how many ANTIQUES shoppes are in my path! i s'pose i could make it in a coupla' days straight drivin' .. with NO pee breaks! but then .. that would only happen if honey hunk were driving and put those horse BLINDERS on me .. so i could only see the road in front of me .. and honey! that ain't happenin'!!!! i'm talkin' to the man about a trip to idaho this summer .. but what with his big trip to nepal and mt. everest and two weeks after he comes home .. i'm draggin' his frost-bitten-butt to disneyworld for a week with the kids .. and i know he plans a big 'rugby' reunion in colorado during june .. so .. unless i can entice him with some white-water rafting on the salmon river in idaho .. i might have to be hoppin' a plane headin' to the farm by myself .. however, i am talking to my daughter about goin' with me and maybe doin' the pay dirt school .. IF .. that umbilical cord she still has attached to that little precious son of hers will reach that far! and .. she doesn't know her 'trial' schedule yet this summer. (she's a lawyer in ohio .. and sometimes her vacations are dictated by her work schedule). but she reads maryjane's book every evening and is pining to go!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2006 :  2:08:38 PM  Show Profile
I was lurking and I noticed that someone said they were a teacher off for the summer, and couldn't afford the hotels. One option for traveling anywhere in the world is http://globalfreeloaders.com. It is a network of people who are willing to host other people from other countries or their own, without knowing them or expecting any compensation. They just do it to get to know people from other countries. Of course, to stay at someone's house, you need to be willing to host. But you can turn people down if it doesn't fit in your schedule etc. I have hosted a couple driving from Arizona to North Carolina when they stopped in Oklahoma City area for the night. We are planning on using it when we travel abroad next time, as it will cut down on some expenses. Just wanted to let you all in on that. Hope it helps.

Julie

Edited by - Juliekay on Feb 19 2006 2:13:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2006 :  2:36:26 PM  Show Profile
I am 27 hours and 15 minutes away from MJF..I really wanted to be at the farm this July~~Just didnt work out this year~~But I'm planning way ahead for next year~~!
Jan
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2006 :  3:17:12 PM  Show Profile
Julie, that was me that's a teacher, and I really appreciate the info on globalfreeloaders. I'd never heard of that. What I'd really like to do is have a teardrop camper by then. I could pull one with my Tracker and just stop at campgrounds along the way. I may even see if I can talk my dd into going with me. She's not much for this type of thing, plus she's been invited to a 5-week college program for high school students that she may go to, so I'm not sure what will happen with that.

My dh is seriously thinking of building a teardrop for me, but we're also looking for a decent, *cheap* one for sale. But I'm going to check out the site you mentioned.

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2006 :  4:42:46 PM  Show Profile
way, way too far. Probably four days drive. :(

"Sell cleverness and buy wonder"
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  07:55:30 AM  Show Profile
it is alot further then I'd like it to be! I really envy you girls out on the west coast. We just came back from Florida, disney included & I doubt I can make it but..... Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  08:25:09 AM  Show Profile
31hrs 54 min, 2176.37 Miles.........

I doubt I will make it, but it is on my list of "somedays"

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  08:40:57 AM  Show Profile
I'm 2 1/2 hours away driving along the most glorious highway...I feel for you gals and hope to see many of you at Farm Fair this year. julia hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic How far, in hours, are you from MJF? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page