Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  2:20:19 PM  Show Profile
I bought this book from Amazon.com a while ago (by Karen Logan), and after testing quite a few of the "recipes" in it for cleaning products, I LOVE IT, and I think some of you might, also. It has great recipes in it for safe, non-toxic housecleaners/soaps. I hope this is as helpful for you all as it's been for me. I'm changing the way I do things around here to really lessen the chemical aspect of housecleaning, and there are some great ways to do that in this book.

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  3:58:57 PM  Show Profile
ever wonder WHERE dirt and dust GOES TO? seems i sweep up enough of it and toss it back outside to have a mountain in my front yard!

told honey hunk today that i'm going to start 'investigatin' more 'natural' cleaning products! what do you especially like in the karen logan book?

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  4:08:32 PM  Show Profile
I'm pretty sure that the dust and dirt I send out of my house comes back on the bottom of my son't shoes! I really like that she uses relatively common ingredients and that she gives options for making household cleaners that actually have worked for me - like a basic scrub for the sink/bathtub and a general spray cleaner for counters/highchair/tables, etc. Some of the books I have looked at have recipes that are just either too complicated to make consistently or they use ingredients that I haven't the foggiest where I would get them. I wanted to post some examples of Karen't recipes, but the copyright in the book says not to...I have to say, however, that I bought a copy of it and gave it to my sister and she likes many of the things, too. She also gives a "satisfaction rating" of her products in comparison to the common "market" things that we'd buy - the ratings seem to be pretty honest to me - some things work better than others, and you'll know up front if you are trying a "long shot" recipe or one you're likely to love.

Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  06:45:18 AM  Show Profile
I've seen this book and it interested me. I'll have to get it because I'm always making my own cleaning stuff.
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  09:09:26 AM  Show Profile
what is the mane of the book? I thought I knew but I dont. A quick note on chemicals. I have well water & it's pretty awful with all the lime & other syuff that sticks to my bathroom walls, toilet & sink. I have tried EVERYTHING I know that isn't chemical to clean it & nothing works. SOOOO, I broke down the other day & bought "Lime Away". Well AWAY it went!! My lungs burned so bad, my throat felt like it was closing. My husband was ready to take me to the hospital. I drank lots of water to flush & dilute it & was better about an hour or so later. NEVER, EVER again! I'll live with rust & clean it the best I can. Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  12:05:41 PM  Show Profile
Oh! Sorry! The name itself is "Clean House, Clean Planet" by Karen Logan. Oh, Michele - I can so sympathize! When we first moved in to this 130-yr-old farmhouse, there were lime, rust, minerals, WHATEVER deposits in the bathtub and I used Lime-Away, too. It felt like I had just inhaled fire. I have to say, Karen's suggestions in this book for mineral/hard water deposits take a little elbow grease, but I still find them easier on my body!

Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2006 :  8:06:06 PM  Show Profile
I just got this book and love it, though I don't know that I would make everything in there as many of the recipes are quite similar. I did try the club soda to clean glass and it really worked! I also sort of "fudged" a recipe by sprinkling baking soda and a little Murphy's soap in my tub and it worked easier than anything I've ever tried before. The clincher is that the author lists a website for her business where you can get spray bottles, etc, but I was unable to access it. Maybe its no longer there? Anyway it was hard to find the spray and squirt bottles in reasonable sizes where I live. I did manage to find a hardware store online for the 16 oz. trigger spray bottles and an ebay supplier for the squirt bottles, both a good deal.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

farmfilly
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Jackie
Gilmer Texas
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2006 :  9:21:31 PM  Show Profile
Jana do ya'll have Sam's wholesale warehouses there? I was in Sam's today and saw packages of 3 large spray bottles for sale. I'm sorry I can't remember the price. I do remember thinking I wished they'd had them when I was looking for some this last fall! They were a good size, maybe 16-20 oz. Anyway its a place to start.

Jackie

Life happens, I'm just glad to participate!
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2006 :  04:22:34 AM  Show Profile
I do hope it's not inappropriate to mention that I have spray bottles on my site http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish. Just click on shopping at the left, choose USA or Canada catalog, as appropriate, then the category mixing bottles, sprayers, and pumps appears on the right towards the middle. There are organic cleansers in the product line too.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  9:20:17 PM  Show Profile
OOOH I love it!
I made the tub and tile cleaner and it does a fantastic job! No smell but that of the soap. Gonna make furniture polish tomorrow!

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  9:50:28 PM  Show Profile
I really like the furniture polish - I used lemon essential oil in mine, and it just really smells edible! I really like the tub and tile cleaner, too. I have ancient porcelain in my kitchen sink and the bathtub, and it seems to clean it well, as well as, like you said, not end up smelling like an industrial lavatory - ick.

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  5:49:31 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, I wish I had known about your business! Watkins used to be quite available around here but haven't seen it in years. I'll have to check it out!
Jana
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  7:43:11 PM  Show Profile
The book sounds interesting, I'm going to check my local library for it. I have REALLY hard water and the biggest time/labor/chemical saver I have found in the bathroom is to keep a scrubby sponge in the shower, squirt a little shampoo on it once or twice a week and scrub the shower down while my hair conditioner is doing it's job. It was actually a tip from flylady.com and one of the few I've really come to "own" and keep up with.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

HollyDee
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Holly
Coburg Oregon
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2006 :  2:03:17 PM  Show Profile
I love fly lady.com. It can help you get a handle on things when your feeling overwhelmed and it just gives you a few basic things to do that help you feel like you've accomplished something substantial for a day. I subscribe to the email service. Its free and they just give you little missions.

HollyDee
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2006 :  8:57:45 PM  Show Profile
holly .. i was on her 'list' once .. but after six months of 'scrub your sink' everynight .. and a zillion e-mails .. i gave up on it ... how do you like it? maybe i should try it again.

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Clean House, Clean Planet Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page