happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  08:07:01 AM  Show Profile
It looks like dh and I may end up with land & no house, meaning we'd end up building. I've been thinking for quite some time that I want to put the laundry room in an odd place, and I'd like your opinion. Since we'll be empty nesters in about 2 1/2 years and dh & I will be producing all the laundry, what would you think of having the laundry room & mud room off the master bedroom?

My reasoning is that it would be closer to where most of the laundry (clothes, bed linens, towels, etc.) are produced, dh & I could come in from working and take off dirty clothes and step right into our bedroom/bath and shower, etc. I've never seen this in a house layout, though.

What do you think? What am I overlooking here? Thanks for your input! DH and I want to plan carefully so that our house "works" for us and saves time, energy, etc.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.blogspot.com/

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  08:38:02 AM  Show Profile
My laundry room IS the mudroom, and it's right off the kitchen, which is sort of a pain. In my parents' house, however, their laundry room is right off the master bedroom, and the mudroom is right off the back door - that seems to be a better layout, I believe.

I LOVE the idea of coming into a place to change out of dirty stuff. HOWEVER, if it's your main entrance, would guests take that route also? We planned on having most people come in the front door, but it seems like everyone just comes around to the back, meaning that they come into the mudroom/laundry room instead of into the living room!!!

How exciting to be able to design and build a dream house. Enjoy!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  09:22:04 AM  Show Profile
No, this would be a back door to the mudroom/laundry room, which would be off our bedroom in the back part of the house. The main entrance would open to a foyer in front of the house. We'd also have another entrance directly into the kitchen.

Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  10:36:13 AM  Show Profile
It sounds wonderful.
I have my washer and dryer IN MY KITCHEN. The kitchen dinning area and den (where the tv is) are all together. I hate it. No place to fold clothes or hide them from guest if you are in the middle of folding etc. And when the washer spins or the drier is on it is hard to hear the tv. Right now I have to carry each load of laundry to our bed room (on the other side of the house) and hope I have time to fold them. I have a toddler and folding laundry around her is impossible!
My husband and I have agreed when we do remodling the mudroom / laundry room will be a priority.
Right now we have no mud room and every one enters through the kitchen!

Cornerstone Garlic Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  3:45:51 PM  Show Profile
Patti,

That thought certainly has some merit. I thought it was kind of strange when my mom had suggested putting a laundry room on a second level. But when she explained it, using the very reason you are thinking, it made a whole lot of sense. As far as plumbing, you have it all right there with the bathroom and mudroom, so that's not a problem. I think you are onto something here. Why hasn't anyone thought of that yet?

It sounds to me that it would be very reasonable and smart planning. It would be tucked out of the way yet completely acccessible where it's needed the most. Just think you could plan it so you could do your linens right before going to bed, pop some nice warm sheets onto your bed, crawl in and snuggle deep down under the quilt. I don't know how that's going to work for the summer, but for now it sounds really comfy.

Great idea, thanks for sharing, It seems there are quite a few who are making house plans and could take advantage of an idea like that. Thanks for sharing. Blessings on your continued dreams.

In His hands,
Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.pamperedchef.biz/lorenzfamilycooks
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  4:31:19 PM  Show Profile
One story house, or two? If it was two I wouldn't want the laundry upstairs because you'd have to carry heavy, wet laundry down and out to hang. If it's one story, I love the idea.What fun to decide your own layout!
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  8:52:22 PM  Show Profile
After reading that you'll have two more entrances, I think it's great idea!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  9:41:07 PM  Show Profile
I do too!! I have lived in lots of houses with all sorts of layouts and the laundry room placement can sure ruin your day if it is a clumsy one. Mine isn't bad where it is now...but I have had better. Mine is off the family room on the lower level. What I like about that is the back door not far from the clothesline in the back yard. we have a separate back door to the kitchen..mudroom is off that. My house is old and added onto...what fun to decide for yourself where things should be!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  10:57:13 AM  Show Profile
I would love to have a 1-story with a loft, but I know that as far as heating/cooling, that's not very economical or ecologically wise. We're doing lots of reading about "green" homes and things like that, so we'll see what happens.

After all our reading & planning, we may find land with a house already on it. Either way would be fine with me. I'm sooooo ready to move!

Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  12:43:18 PM  Show Profile
seems pretty efficent to me to have the laudry room off the master bedroom. I can understand not wanting it if it's upstaris and you hang your laudry to dry out side, because you may not want to go up and down all the time. But other than that I like the idea. Oh I would love to design my home.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  2:27:00 PM  Show Profile
I've seen this in some of the newer home plan books I've been looking at. It makes a lot of sense if you mostly use the dryer rather than hanging the laundry outside. We just returned from visiting my brother in-law and their laundry room is between the master bedroom and the kitchen. They are empty nesters so it works out pretty good for them.

In the old days it seems like the laundry rooms were all in the basement and it was the ultimate to have a laundry chute from the bedrooms and baths to the laundry. That really is where most of the dirty clothes get generated.

LOL- we live in a split level and I have to go up three staircases and cross the house twice to get clothes from the basement laundry back to the bedroom. I'm definitely going with your plan in my next house!

The one thing DH wants in our next house is a bathroom right next to the garage entrance so he can run in and out when he is working in the garage in boots and coveralls all day. But since we've already got that in our current house, I'm having a heck of a time getting him to look at others!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

pollyesther
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Karen
FL
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  3:42:58 PM  Show Profile
My in-laws live in a 2 story Victorian house that was built in the late 1800's. When it was renovated prior to their moving in, the previous owners did just what you are proposing, place the laundry room adjacent to the master suite. It has worked out heavenly for them...ultra convenient. Please note my Mom-in-law is not a big outdoors clothes line to dry type of person, so the issue of lugging wet heavy laundry downstairs has never been an issue. Just wanted to share a success story with this very situation. Have fun planning your new home!
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  6:01:03 PM  Show Profile
I just have to say that I love your username!

Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  5:46:46 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I have been looking at manufactured homes and there is often a laundry off the hallway by the bedrooms. Looks Very convenient. For us this will probably be an option sometime, as stairs, fibromyalgia and back surgery don't mix well! I've seen some farmhouses, also that have a "summer kitchen" off the main kitchen, probably used for canning and the like, that have had laundry put in there. That would be a possibility, but then you have to lug the laundry through the house, through the kitchen, and then its sort of under foot in that room. I like the laundry by the bedrooms idea best.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  8:04:09 PM  Show Profile
It is my absolute DREAM to have my laundry room right next to the master bedroom. Whoever decided that the laundry room should always be in the basement definitely wasn't the person doing the laundry! Someday we will build onto our little ranch and that's how I'll have it. It won't make hanging laundry out hard here and there aren't that many months in the year that I can do it anyway in Michigan!

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

grammagoose
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

sandy
exeter rhode island
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2006 :  1:23:48 PM  Show Profile
Just a thought; I have my "laundry room" in a walk in closest off the master bathroom. For us it works out perfect - just charlie and I.
xoxoxo, Sandy
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Need opinions on house layout Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page