Londa
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Londa
Savona NY
USA
21 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  09:31:56 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls. Any ideas for getting wedding tablecloths?
Flat sheets? Different colors? Material- make my own?
It will be an outside wedding in the northwoods of wisconsin. Bluegrass music. Canning jars with rocks and tea lites for decoration. My daughter just wants people to have a great time. She is elegant yet simple.

thanks

Londa

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  11:07:15 AM  Show Profile
We rented table cloths and it was Cheap. I have also gotten nice ones at the thrift they wouldn't match but would be cute.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  11:16:25 AM  Show Profile
Have any vintage, brightly colored ones (like the 1950's era ones)??? How many tables? I did something similar for my husband's 30th birthday--It was soooo wonderful to have the color and with some bright flowers or something, you're set! Don't need much more decoration! I'd hit up all the old ladies at your church, Grandmothers, Aunts, thrift stores, etc...I already had quite a stash, but the most I paid was 50 cents at the thrift.

If they're a strange size (oblong instead of round), you can put them over a white tablecloth as well turned somewhat askew.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  2:10:30 PM  Show Profile
WE did vintage ones (I love the '30's and '40's era ones) when we got married 13 years ago(ebay, thrift stores and mine and my relative's collection supplied them) with mason jars of flowers (late april wedding in Calif..easy to find things!) and had card tables all set up under the trees in our backyard for a barbque reception. One thing I would suggest...I do this for a Christmas tablecloth..and it goes from year to year...but:
get a plain tablecloth (mine is oatmeal color) and put it out on one table that won't be eaten at..maybe where the guest book would be...and have people sign it (with a ballpoint pen works great...washes out when you want it to....and then after the big day embroider those names and on the hem (or anyplace you like) put the names of the bride and groom, wedding date and place. A fun keepsake for sure. Our Christmas one is used each year (I started it on our first Christmas) and the names embroidered in a different color each year..with a key to the colors/years along the edge of the hem. I adore that little tablecloth and would save it in a fire before most anyTHING...really wonderful to look back at it each year.(especially seeing people that are gone now, and childish signatures of grown kids. I have the kids put their age next to their name) The wedding one could be a special thing to take out for each anniversary. Just an idea.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on May 21 2009 11:04:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

rhondacate
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Rhonda
Janesville CA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  7:49:59 PM  Show Profile
We got married last August and we used plain white sheets on some tables (with gingham table runners) and on other tables we just used straight gingham fabric cut with pinking shears. Walmart had all colors of gingham fabric for $1 a yard, though I think it has gone up now.

We used homegrown sunflowers in canning jars on the tables, and it ended up being really cute.

~Rhonda

http://rmfo-blogs.com/rhonda
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  06:13:44 AM  Show Profile
Great ideas! My daughter is getting married in July in a park by a lake and is planning on using mismatched vintage tablecloths, mason jars with flowers from the farmers market, mismatched teacups and saucers with old fashioned penny candy in, and for the guest book she got a coffee table book of their area and is having guests sign through out it (she intends to keep in her living room after) and fiddle music. I've been finding tablecloths from friends, family, thrift stores, and ebay - even some lengths of material that I just finished the edges on. Got some unfinished quilt tops that will work, too. She also wants to use aprons and old wooden wine boxes or picnic baskets to decorate the cookie table. The wedding participants are wearing sundresses of their choice, and the food has a latin theme...doesn't this sound like fun?? Hoping we can find some milk cans to put sunflowers in and set around as decoration.

I like the white sheets with gingham runners idea, that will be my fall back plan if I find myself short of tablecloths!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  08:52:15 AM  Show Profile
I wanna come, Suzanne! Sounds like my kind of shin-dig!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Londa
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Londa
Savona NY
USA
21 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  09:12:21 AM  Show Profile
This is GREAT! I knew I could count on you gals! I am definately going to tell my daughter about the signature tablecloth. And will probably go searching for some vintage or sheets. I love that idea! I like the idea of layering material on the tables. I'll have to take pictures. But don't be surprised if I ask more questions. It is very hard trying to plan a wedding, when I live in New York and my daughter lives in Wisconsin!

Love, Londa
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  11:16:10 AM  Show Profile
It is so nice to read about all the old tablecloths. Nothing livens up a party like some nice cheery oldx tableclothes, and mason jars are always a winner.

Jenny, I love your tablecloth Christmas memento, what a great idea...

If you can get some cheap ball fringe, that really livens up some plain tablecloth. Years ago i bought a huge bunch of old curtains just for the ball fringe. I tore it off and put it somewhere. When I find it I'm going to dye some and tart up a few tablecloths...I'm looking forward to seeing wedding photos, sounds like a lovely party.

Karin

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  11:27:49 AM  Show Profile
Oh Wow, Londa, I just noticed you are in Savona - my daughter is getting married in Ithaca! And I know what you mean, I am near Harrisburg, PA!
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  1:57:19 PM  Show Profile
My son just got married on our farm. The wedding and reception were outside. For the tables I had several of the large wooden picnic tables (but any type of table will work). I don't know if you have Dollar Tree stores up there or not but any dollar store should have the large plastic picnic table clothes. I got bought all white ones for the eating tables. At each corner of the table we kind of gathered the clothes to form a pony tail of sorts and secured it with a twist tie. Then we attached medium sized bows, made from sheer wire lined ribbon, in their wedding colors. The wedding was various shades of purple and sage green. We had a different color featured at each table. I know your thinking I don't want plastic table covers. I didn't think I did either. The gathering around the corners not only gave a very simple yet elegant look it served to hold the covers in place. In the center of each table I had a large mouth quart jar overflowing with fresh flowers in various shades of purple. I got several large bunches of flowers at the market and mixed them together. Each jar had a sheer ribbon bow to match it's table. When the day was done all I had to do was roll them off the tables and throw them away the best $15.00 I ever spent. That amount was for ribbon and all for 9 tables, including the cake table. For the cake table the only thing I did different was placed a purple runner across the center. I am new to computers and not sure how to post pictures for others to see but if I can figure it out you could see some of the photos. Everyone at the wedding said it was probably the most beautiful wedding they had seen and you know I put alot of work into it and I'm sure I'm partial but it really was beautiful. We stayed simple but elegant.

Begin each morning with a song in your heart.
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2261 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2261 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  9:09:33 PM  Show Profile
When my son got married twenty years ago I bought ten white sheets at the factory outlet store. I wondered what I would do with them all afterwards but they have come in handy countless times since then. It was definitely a good investment. They have been tableclothes, sheets, under the Christmas tree, room dividers, dress-up garments for grandkids, tents for same, emergency ironing board, and one was once a delivery room for a litter of kittens.

Judithl

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Wedding tablecloths Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page