Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  04:24:59 AM  Show Profile
Good morning farm gal friends.....Beverly here.

I planted a lot of morning glories and moon flowers this spring in various spots in my garden. Any easy way to make trellises?? I think if I went out and bought----it would look over done----any ideas....thanks and have a good day.

Its raining here in Massachusetts.

Beverly

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  07:22:39 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hi Bev... Chicken Wire or Hog Panels are inexpensive and things love to climb them. They can easily be cut and spray painted (if silver doesnt work in your garden space).

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/RFBlog/
www.twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4186 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4186 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  6:22:02 PM  Show Profile
I made simple trellises out of small sapliings and branches. Made up a simple design and nailed them together. Using green wood helps if you are trying to bend up shapes also.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  11:20:53 PM  Show Profile
sounds good. thanks so much

Beverly
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  11:56:10 AM  Show Profile
I saw the cutest trellis idea in a really old magazine. They suggested arranging the branches like the spokes on a wheel, then putting a cute little cut out of a girl in front, so that as your vine grew up and filled in the trellis it looked like she was holding a darling parasol just off her shoulder. So sweet!

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  5:04:13 PM  Show Profile
oh wow, that trellis sounds so cute.

I ended up using my bamboo ones for my clematis and just stringing in the middle so they can climb.

As far as the morning glory go will wait and see them grow and then take action.

Beverly
Go to Top of Page

cdmcan
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Diane
Homer City PA
USA
21 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  3:33:57 PM  Show Profile
I told my husband I wanted tepee type trellis' to go in the new herb garden... that way I'd have not only dimension, but could grow peas and pole beans on them. Well, off he went to the woods and brought back birch sapplings about 2 1/2 inches in diameter and 9-10 feet long. We wired them together and put them in tepee fashion (6 poles in each). I'll run crochet cotton around as the peas and beans grow. I can't wait to see what they look like with vegetables growing in them.. I'll have to post a pic later this year!

Lover of Siamese Cats
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  1:35:21 PM  Show Profile
You can easily make bentwood trellises out of small saplings,all you need is wire and nippers and a set of ahnd pruners,our horse hay has been wire baled this year so I save it for trellises,you can build a simple ladder trellis by bending two of your longest,thickest branches together and fuse at the top then lace in smaller pieces to form a ladder,you can get creative and bend in dreamcatchers,hearts and other designs.
A good book for this is called "Making Bentwood Trellises" by Jim Long for more ideas and even fence and gate designs.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

Farmers Daughter
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

DiAnn

90 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  09:08:08 AM  Show Profile
I have to second the book by Jim Long. I love it.

Have made a few very simple twig trellises for the garden and smaller ones for pot decorations.

Have also seen ladders used. You could put some chicken wire to give the plant something extra to climb up and hang on. The picture I seen was a step ladder opened up had sunflowers planted by it and guess they used the ladder to tie and hold the sunflowers up. And it had morning glories crawling up it. Talk about looking really pretty in the garden. Think I would add a stake by on of the legs of the ladder though to keep winds or storm from blowing it down.
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic making trellises Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page