Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Frontier times Next Topic  

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - May 18 2009 :  08:34:47 AM  Show Profile
Help ladies!! I love reading about the frontier times, and prefer Christian fiction. I have read all of Jeanette Oke, Lori Wick and many others.
Any recommendations? Hopefully will find someone I haven't read yet by asking.
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 18 2009 :  1:47:59 PM  Show Profile
Have you read "Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers? Awesome book! I loved "Patchwork Family" by Charlotte Hubbard too.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 18 2009 :  1:50:46 PM  Show Profile
I love to read those that cover a particular state in the frontier times....right now I am reading "Alberta Brides" about the Canadian frontier.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on May 19 2009 04:38:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  3:14:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi,

I love Christian historical fiction; here are some more authors I enjoy: Deeanne Gist, Tamera Alexander, Wanda Brunstetter, Jane Kirkpatrick, Beverly Lewis, Sharlene MacLaren, Tracie Petersen, Lauraine Snelling, Jan Watson & Kim Vogel Sawyer, to name a few.

Here's a link to a Christian Fiction site you can search:
http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/cms_content?page=26873&sp=1001

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  4:42:51 PM  Show Profile
I have bought from Christian Book before. I love all those authors, the only one I haven't read yet is Jan Watson so may have to try her out.
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  4:08:34 PM  Show Profile
I also love these books. My daughter joined a monthly book club that lets you choose your type. Inspirational romance which includes suspence, historical and others. Check out Steeple Hill book club on the web and it will give you more info. I just joined a few days ago. I fell in love when hallmark carried the shows based on janette oke's books and they were just wonderful. Has anyone seen those?

"A mother is someone you never outgrow your need for"

http://drycreekfarms.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  5:29:27 PM  Show Profile
I have and they were really good. The books are quite different but still the stories were great. I got them on DVD so those days, which are often, when there is only junk on I have something good to watch :-)
Rae

Go to Top of Page

C.W.
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Chelsea
Prosser WA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  9:16:08 PM  Show Profile
I also really enjoyed "Redeeming Love", it does address some tough issues though.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  02:58:31 AM  Show Profile
Have you read The Atonement Child?
Rae

Go to Top of Page

C.W.
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Chelsea
Prosser WA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  4:53:30 PM  Show Profile
I have... but I don't remember the ending very well. It was some years ago.
I also enjoyed the series about the Jewish slave girl Haddassah (which I think is also Esther's Jewish name).
Go to Top of Page

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  08:39:39 AM  Show Profile
Have you ever read G.A. Henty? They are good history/frontier time fiction stories. You would very much enjoy them..... Also there are some christian fiction books I've heard of. I'll try to find them online again, and I will deffinetly tell you about them when I find them!
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  4:36:31 PM  Show Profile
I have not read G.A. Henty so will check it out. The frontier stories just make me excited about the life we are choosing to live, simplier and probably will be healthier. Sure will be a lot more sane I am thinking.
Rae

Go to Top of Page

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  3:22:48 PM  Show Profile
Miss Rae, I am Yasmine's daughter and I love G.A. Henty's books! They are so great and if you like frontier western fiction history books they will be perfect for you! I am 10 years old and I got into his books pretty darn quick! My favorite would have to be Queen Victora. Look up "Queen Victoria, G.A. Henty book" and I think you would like it! It's not a frontierY kind of book but another good book by him is "All But Lost" All but lost continues through 3 books, so if you are interested in them you would have a choice to get all of them at the same time or read the first one and see if you like it and would want to get the other 2!

-Justice
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  5:54:50 PM  Show Profile
Thank you. I had not heard for G.A. Henty's books but will check them out. Justice did you ever read the Little House books or Anne of Green Gables?
THanks again for the ideas!!!
Rae

Go to Top of Page

countrykatgirly
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Hallie
Jordan NY
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2009 :  05:04:44 AM  Show Profile
If you have already finished the fiction books of LIW this one is also good, about farm life,etc.

Little House in the Ozarks
http://www.amazon.com/Little-House-Ozarks-Rediscovered-Writings/dp/0883659689

I am starting this one today, which is about a woman in Texas who helped run a ranch from around 1897 on:

I'll Gather My Geese by Hallie Crawford Stillwell
http://www.amazon.com/Gather-Geese-Hallie-Crawford-Stillwell/dp/0890964785/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244808489&sr=1-1

“It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”
--Laura Ingalls Wilder

Edited by - countrykatgirly on Jun 12 2009 05:13:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2009 :  05:32:39 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for these authors. I have never heard about most. I LOVE LIW, in fact I am now reading one of her books again...for the millionth time lol. Still amaze me every time I read them and still love them.

Going to check out some of the others mentioned, see if they are available here......somewhere.....someday lol

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2009 :  05:39:35 AM  Show Profile
I just got a book last week called "Frontiers" by Colleen L. Reece. It's 4 inspirational love stories from America's frontier. I haven't started it yet because I'm into Grace L. Hill right now and can't stop.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2009 :  07:24:02 AM  Show Profile
Hannah Fowler by Janice Holt Giles was good. It was written in 1956. Also A Lantern in Her Hand by Bess Streeter ALdrich. That story has a movie out, A Mothers'Gift which has been on hallmark. That one has a C date of 1928. They are both really old stories but not bad.
So great to share info. I like Grace Hill also, my daughter bought a set of her books which happen to be here so will have to read those soon as well.
Rae

Go to Top of Page

SpiritedRose
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Michelle
Chestertown MD
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  08:01:21 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone mentioned Jane Kirpatrick? You will like most of her books, I bet!

Start with "All Together in One Place" it's my favorite!

Cheesemaker with a supportive husband,
Registered Jersey breeder, AKC Akita breeder, and friend of two favorite cats!

spiritedrose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  09:30:12 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Michelle! I do have some and will read those as well.
Rae

Go to Top of Page

TheresaB
True Blue Farmgirl

393 Posts

Theresa
Loveland Colorado
USA
393 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  5:30:59 PM  Show Profile
I second Francine Rivers, she is amazing. I've read all of her stuff, SO powerful.

Also, not fiction, but I'm halfway through a book called Trials of the Earth: The Autobiograhpy of Mary Hamiliton. It's intense and so straightforward, wow, what some of these people lived through!

Also, can't sign off without plugging my girl Jane Austen, not pioneer but the spirit is similar!

Theresa in Colorado
Proud Farmgirl Sister #124
www.thegypsysdaughter.etsy.com
www.thegypsysdaughter.blogspot.com

"I see skies of blue, clouds of white, the bright blessed day, the dark sacred night, and I think to myself, "What a Wonderful World!" ~ Louis Armstrong
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  06:29:59 AM  Show Profile
Francine River is truly amazing. My daughter loves Jane Austen, I have to read her again as it has been years and years, will start with Pride and Prejudice as she loves that one. She actually gets them with different covers even!!!
Rae

Go to Top of Page

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  3:09:07 PM  Show Profile
Miss Rae,

Yes, I have read Anne Of Green Gables, Pride and Prejudice, Little House On The Prarie and lots of classics like
Heidi,
The Legend Of Sleepy Hollow,
Black Beauty,
Moby Dick, and a lot of other ones!
~Justice~

quote:
Originally posted by Old Spirit

Thank you. I had not heard for G.A. Henty's books but will check them out. Justice did you ever read the Little House books or Anne of Green Gables?
THanks again for the ideas!!!
Rae

Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Frontier times Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page