Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Growing out of clothes!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Growing out of clothes! Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 14 2009 :  5:19:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Nora is growing out of clothes left and right! Each time I do laundry I think I am packing away about half the clothes! It is so hard!!! Every couple of months I look down and realize she is starting to look like a hobo baby because all her pants are highwaters and her long sleeves are 3/4 sleeves. Ooops! LOL

And then of course the season is changing so I need less of the long sleeves and the heavy weight long pants. I still like to have some of the lighter weight long pants to put on for hot days at the park- I don't want her to burn her little legs on the slide!

Somedays I hardly believe how big she is getting!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  03:55:25 AM  Show Profile
Alee~ You need to have another baby!!! About the time Titus is growing out of his things William needs them!! I kinda hope this next baby is a girl so I can get more wear out of Trinity's clothes! I'll hardly have to pack anything away then!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  06:46:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We're thinking about it. I would love to have another baby, but we need to make sure we would be able to feed one! Though granted in the first two years (pregnancy and then first year) they don't cost a whole lot more. We do the cloth diapers so that is so nice.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  09:30:16 AM  Show Profile
I know what you mean Alee. My two are growing like weeds. I do a lot of clothes shopping for them yard sales. I rarely shop stores since they are getting so expensive and usually little girls clothes are getting alittle trashy looking unless its real little things.

When I yard sale, I look for clothes that are gender neutral (since I have a boy and girl) and no stains or spot or holes.:) Usually the things I find at the yard sales are a lot better made than the ones in the stores anyways. I give myself a limit, like I won't pay more than $1.00 for a whole outfit and it has to be in great shape. Other than that, no more than $.25 per item. I can get more clothes that way and also stock up for the next years seasons.

When the kids outgrow them, I put them in those rubbermaid bins and mark them either, "GIRLS & sizes", "BOYS & sizes" or "BOTH & size". That way if we have another I know just what I need to get out and when. Plus, if someone else needs something for their baby, I can go in and see what I've got and it makes sharing a lot more easy.
I wash everything before it goes in the bins. If it's stained or in bad shape and doesn't wash up well, it gets tossed or used for rags. Some that are stained but not too badly, can got for parts of clothes that I make for the kids or even clothes for their dolls.:D

It makes me feel better to do it this way. I know that all this effort gives everything the longest wear and I haven't wasted my money.

I do get some things at the store like shoes unless they are brand new. :)

I've found that there really isn't much more expense in having two than one. Formula and diapers are the only real expense that is extra but if you are nursing and using cloth diapers, then its really about the same. Even the clothes can be passed down from girl to boy or whatever, so its a lot less costly than one might think :D

hugs
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  12:31:17 PM  Show Profile
Alee, I hear ya! I've just bundled up 2 garbage bags full of clothing that Violet has already outgrown. She's into 3 month old items at 10 weeks (well, she's 11 weeks today) but some sleepers that SAY 3 mos aren't long enough in the feet area--she's smaller in her shoulders, but the length is where we need the bigger size. She's 23.5 inches long, and has skinny little bird legs so it makes it tough right now! Like Alee, the seasons are changing here, but at night, I like to have her feet covered and out of the 45 pairs of socks I have ONE pair stays on her feet because they're too skinny and her ankles are too skinny. So, her "attire" is limited :) I've a couple of really cute dresses but the little diaper covers that come with them are too big for her non existent waist!

I did find a local church that runs something called "Mercy House" to give my gently used baby items and my maternity clothes to. I feel pretty good about that, anyway. Especially when our Goodwill charges $4.00 for a onsie (I'm not kidding)or throws in the garbage what they have excess of. These girls have nothing so I'd rather give them a leg up--

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  1:27:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni- That is great! Yeah- Goodwill has gotten so expensive! I am just so mad at that company! So I give to a local thrift shop with EXCELLENT prices or to charity places.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  2:19:34 PM  Show Profile
Well goodwill thankfully in kansas are priced reasonably and always the same. I don't know if this holds true nationally or just regionally, but.....in Kansas the saturday before a holiday every thing is only 1.10! EVERY thing-clothing! And that even was for the smaller holidays like Mother's Day.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Growing out of clothes! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page