Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 I am getting Guineas in 2 months
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic I am getting Guineas in 2 months Next Topic  

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  3:59:42 PM  Show Profile
I am excited that my friend is giveing me 4-6 Guineas in 2 months.. Her sister is hatching them a she is getting 15 of the hatchlings...she said I could have 4-6 if I wanted them. I said yes..But I do have a dilema. I have a wonderful dog but he has caught a wild turkey...but didnt kill it. He has chased chickens...and crows out of the yard near my garden. We are going to put them in part of our backyard that is fenced off from the rest of the yard and let him know that they are supposed to be here. I hope this works...BTW he is part shar-pei and part lab. If anyone has anyother suggestions let me know...
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it

milkmaid
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Higginsville Missouri
USA
187 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  4:36:23 PM  Show Profile
Guineas are great bug eaters I love them they keep the pest down in the pasture.... my son thinks that they look like dinosaurs>

http://goodfarm.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl #542

Mother to five awesome kids, wife of 17 years and milk maid to two beautiful cows. Living the good life!!!
Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  4:42:01 PM  Show Profile
OH Deborah, I'm so excited for you. Please keep us updated on them so i can live vicariously through you. I want guineas so bad.

Karen ^_^

http://apple-and-eve.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  4:57:22 PM  Show Profile
I love my guineas. I have had them for several years now. They are the funniest animal ever. And do not like to be alone at all. I have a yellow lab, Bubba. He is crazy. If any chickens or guineas are out of the chicken yard when we come home, he runs them all back in. It's the funniest thing to see. He doesn't hurt them, just herds them. He thinks they belong on the other side of the fence. Just keep an eye on him because once he gets one of them, he'll do it again. Labs are bad about chasing birds. But that's what they do! Have fun with yours.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  05:55:12 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the responses ladies...I will take pics when I get them. I am sooo excited this will be the first farm animal we have and we have been here a little over a year.

Deborah

Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  11:22:48 AM  Show Profile
is it ok if i do a happy dance for you Deborah?

Karen ^_^

http://apple-and-eve.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  7:14:19 PM  Show Profile
Karen, Yes you can...Not sure if my DH is really as excited as I am....But when the dogs dont get ticks anymore he will love them too.
Deborah

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  8:14:22 PM  Show Profile
Does the area your are putting the Guineas have a ROOF? Because guineas can FLY! They will roost up in the trees at night-- pretty high too, and can be hard to contain. (they also WILL cross with Chickens!! Makes the WEIRDEST looking birds you ever saw! But they are hybrids and can't reproduce)

I have had the guineas in the past and LOOOOVED them! Hubby HATED the noises they made-- they creeped him out, and he threatened to shoot them all, so I gave them away. Little does HE know I have THREE in the brooder cage as we "speak!!" Good luck with the dog-- and Have fun with the Guineas!! ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  07:14:12 AM  Show Profile
Ole Ron just loves guineas but we can't keep them for very long. The last bunch we had were killed by the owls. We had a guinea hen that was setting on her nest of eggs and we were so looking forward to a batch of baby guineas. The number of eggs kept getting smaller, then one day when the hen got up to eat Ron looked in the nest and a great big black snake was eating the eggs. Ron grabed the snake, got a couple of bites on his hand and then he killed the snake. Too much excitement for me.

And yes, they are the funniest looking bird out there.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic I am getting Guineas in 2 months Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page