New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Help for chicken? Next Topic  

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  4:16:44 PM  Show Profile
Hi all!! I was wondering if anyone has a solution for a hen who gets too much of the rooster's attention?? I have one roo and two hens and he ALWAYS, ah, gets "amorous" with one of the hens (though the other one follows him around and seems to be his favorite). But he's just terrible to the other poor creature who is losing all the feathers on her back. He'll get her down and she'll be squawking and feathers will fly (hers)...my husband says I should make her a little coat. Has anyone got other ideas or done this before?? Any help would be appreciated. She's just the nicest little hen, a real go-getter with a ton of personality and I hate to see her suffer. We're getting 5 chicks in a couple weeks so in a few months his flock will expand and I'm hoping he'll stop picking on just her, but in the meantime I'd like to spare her some suffering and feathers. Thanks!!

Siúil A Rúin: "Singing for someone's supper . . ." www.tradlassie.blogspot.com

LisaTwo
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Lisa
Hampden Maine
USA
127 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  5:48:48 PM  Show Profile
They actually make chicken saddles for this purpose. Just google Chicken Saddle. Some of they are quite cute.

Smiles,
Lisa

http://pinkporches.blogspot.com/

*And you know when the truth is told-- you can get what you want--or you can just get old.* (Billy Joel)
Go to Top of Page

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  6:01:17 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, you'll just have to imagine the puzzled, amazed look on my face. What did we ever do without the Internet??? I am, as I type this, printing a pattern for a chicken saddle - something I'd never even heard of before. Judging by all the rave reviews it does the trick. Thank you so, so much!!!

Go to Top of Page

FiddleChick
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  08:30:13 AM  Show Profile
Here is the pattern in case anyone else needs it: http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=181223
I made one up today (I only used one snap though). I did two layers with canvas on the bottom and a pretty print (with chickens on it!!) on the top. My hen seems very happy with it. Don't know what the roo thinks yet. LOL!! Thanks again, Lisa!!

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Help for chicken? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page