nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  07:05:00 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone put flera spray or powder on their goats? I have two pigmies. I dont even know if they get fleas but their out in the yard, so it stands to reason they would. I am going to try the rosemary spray unless someone knows something I dont.

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  07:57:36 AM  Show Profile
Kim, I have never noticed fleas on my girls. I check them quite often and now that I'm milking again, they get checked lots more. I have seen a tick a few times but just crawling. Once on an ear. I think their skin is very thick. I got an organic repellant at Greenlife, which is a whole food type store here. I also spray with just vinegar and a little water for flies. Might work for fleas, too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  10:08:14 AM  Show Profile
I had a lice problem in my goats-- ONCE! I dusted everyone with Diatomatious Earth, rubbed it in really good, and have never had a problem since!

DE is completely non-toxic, and if the goats lick themselves (or OTHER goats lick them) it won't hurt them a bit. You can even eat it YOURSELF! It also helps to break the worm cycle-- it kills the larvae in the poo-berries. ~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  10:25:07 AM  Show Profile
that DE is good to know. Thnaks. I would rahter do that than deworming them with the vet stuff. Although my vet is very reasonable in way of costs and of course the comical aspect of putting the syring down their gulletts at the same time as they bleet. It gurgles. Its so funny....

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  09:39:21 AM  Show Profile
Well, honestly, I don't know if the DE actually kills worms INSIDE the goats, but I know it will kill the lavae and/or adult worms that are expelled in the poop, and any critters that get ON the goats. You might want to discuss the "Worm issue" with your vet before changing your routine too drastically.

I worm once or twice a year with tubes of Horsewormer (Ivermectin and Safeguard on rotation). For me it's easier to use that for the sheep and goats (and CHEAPER) than any other way of worming. You just grab the goat/sheep, spin the dial, shove the tube in their mouth and push the plunger. The critters don't like it, but it's quick and painless for both parties. And it works for ME! (LOL!!!) ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  2:40:48 PM  Show Profile
I know I said I have just seen ticks crawling on my goats, but just the last 2 days I have pulled a tick off 2 of my kid goats on their eye lids. I will have to go get the DE soon. Looks like it's going to be a year for ticks. I have guineas back there, too. They need to do a better job.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  8:07:25 PM  Show Profile
He... he... he... seems like ALL the critters need to do a better job. We certainly do OUR part--- cleaning up after them, feeding them .... the LEAST they could do is get rid of the CREEPY CRAWLIES!!!!

Oh! And yes, I think the ticks are gonna be bad here in Ca too! I actually pulled one off of ME in the bathroom at Wal-mart not long ago. I saw it on my leg as soon as I dropped my britches. At first I was like "EEWWWW a smashed spider!" but when I touched it and it MOVED!! (Good thing I was already sitting on the potty!) I threw it on the floor and stomped on it a few times. Did absolutely nothing happened! So I picked it up and flushed it. Didn't want it to crawl onto a little kid or anyone else. I have NO IDEA where it came from or how long we'd shared the same PANTS! Obviously not long enough since it hadn't attached its nasty little self to my skin yet! ~~~shudder~~~ Think I'll be dusting myself with that DE before going out to the barn from now till NEXT WINTER!!!

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic flea spray for my goats Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page