Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Do you make your own clothes?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do you make your own clothes? Next Topic
Page: of 3

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  3:44:53 PM  Show Profile
I like to make my own clothes. I prefer to wear no frills clothes and then snaz them up with jewelry and scarves. I've re-traced so many patterns onto blank newsprint over the years to keep wearing my favorites. I also love to take garments that aren't real great and re-make them into something unique. Any one else do their own home sewing of clothes?

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  4:17:15 PM  Show Profile
I am in the summer of the skirts!!! I decided that I would make all my summer skirts this year. I am having a blast!!!

Tina
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  8:54:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have decided to make one of those Duct Tape sewing dummies that was featured in the MJF magazine so I can start making some clothes that fit! I hate buying off the rack because nothing ever seems to fit right!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Niamh
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Idaho
140 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  10:06:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Niamh a Yahoo! Message
I like to sew my own clothes for several reasons.

Like Alee, I have a hard time finding clothes that fit off the rack. Really frustrating.

Also, I like very specific lengths and styles on my clothes, most of the styles are mix-and-match, so off-the-rack clothes don't fit the bill.

And I don't like to look like everybody else in this town who all bought their clothes at the same store. lol

Unless you're a great thrifter (which I'm getting better at), so you can make clothes out of 'repurposed' fabric, or a great deal-finder (which I'm slooowly getting better at), making your clothes isn't any cheaper, it's just more fun and more unique. I really enjoy it.

My farming blog: www.localfoodblog.blogspot.com

My living blog:
www.unprocessedfamily.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  04:18:39 AM  Show Profile
Tina I'm with you. I am making skirts for summer. I am short (4'11") and been loosing my excess weight so nothing fits anymore :) but what is in the stores is not what I care to pay for. I think I might make a wrap-around or two also.
Tammyb
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  04:25:12 AM  Show Profile
I make my 100% cotton skirts to wear in the summer time
I found a pretty smock/apron type top to wear over them with a tee-shirt undernet
I have yet to make the smock and skirt due to too many things going on in my life lately
and with father-in-law dieing
I also like to make jewelery to go with them ; if I think it will look better.
I get a lot of jewelery from QVc.
Or lets say use to. lol hugs sheila

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
http;//www.sheilascreativetouches.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  06:44:13 AM  Show Profile
if i made my own clothes, i'd look like a bag-lady, no, maybe actually worse!! i have tried sewing, and i even enjoy it, but i must have negative talent!! the harder i try, the worse i am at sewing a straight line....and i'll even mess up other things: like one piece of fabric will "slip" a little and be crooked. i know, you all will say she can't possibly be that bad, but i'm telling you, ....i've shown people things that say, i have NO idea how you could have done THAT!!
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  06:50:32 AM  Show Profile
If I could sew, you betcha!

So I'm slave to wearing stuff that still fits that I wore 20 years ago.

I'm a hard to fit kind of gal too.

Not quite an 8 but not a 10 either.
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  06:58:57 AM  Show Profile
Can anyone recommend a pattern for some nice long skirts for summer? I want to make a few and haven't found a pattern yet.
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  06:59:11 AM  Show Profile
I've been making my own clothes since I was 10. I guess I have my own unique style and I rarely find something off the rack that appeals to me. It used to be cheaper but now it's a wash most of the time. It's getting harder to find apparel fabric - most have gone over to mostly quilting so the choices aren't as good as they used to be. I have to admit though that I don't like to make jeans - those I prefer to buy although I have made them in the past. I used to make all the kids school clothes as well - August used to be a "sweat shop" of making tee shirts for the boys and all kinds of outfits for the girls. It got so I could make a regular no frills tee in about 15 min. on the serger. I have to say I don't miss the August "rush". This year it's just working on this wedding.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  07:11:25 AM  Show Profile
Suzan--Walmart has those patterns for $2.44 and $3.44. They added alot of cute(and nice long summery) skirts to their selection. :) I was looking at them last night..hehe

I usually sew dresses for myself, but they are the kind like I would wear to church. I will have to get the magazine that told about the duct tape dummies. I have a terrible time getting anything to fit me right, by my making or store bought. I a different size on top that what fits my bottom and I haven't learn to join two sizes of patterns yet.
My favorite to make is the long skirts with the halter top type bodices. :)

hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  07:13:06 AM  Show Profile
Sheri, I make a lot of my clothes and have just purchased a bunch of new clothing patterns for basics (underwear is my newest thing to try). Apparel fabric is available online now more than in the local fabric stores. Fashion districts like Portland and LA and NYC have lots of apparel fabrics but I also found a store in Seattle called Nancy's Sewing Basket that carries a nice line of apparel fabric, if you ever get over that way.

I purchased a dress form this year and it's kind of fun to have one. I am refusing to sew anything new until I get off my lambing season 20 pounds that I gain every year...not sure why but every year I gain about 20 pounds during lambing and I have it off by the ram sale in July...working on it early this year, got 4 pounds off so far. Sheesh.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  07:32:54 AM  Show Profile
Jami isn't it great to have a dressmakers form? I don't know how I ever sewed without one. I've had one for almost twenty years now but sewed for a long time before that without. I buy a lot of fabric from Fabric.com - if you sign up for the newsletter they have some pretty good sales. My daughter lives in NYC and can find me just about anything I want if I'm willing to cough up the $$! I tend to make my own patterns some drafted from scratch some that are mix-n-match (a bodice from one a sleeve from another etc) I rarely make a pattern right out of the envelope unless it is a past pattern or folkwear although I have been known to "tweak" those as well.

I know what you mean about the weight gain - for me it's the wintertime 5 lbs. Once this weather finally cooperates and I get seriously into the garden I always lose it.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  07:38:19 AM  Show Profile
I wish I had the talent to sew! I would make a lot of my own clothes. It's hard to find clothes that fit me well.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  07:58:13 AM  Show Profile
Sheri, the dress form is great, I agree. I am into Jalie patterns right now and did just recently purchase 2 books on how to draft my own patterns, one from scratch and the other shows how to tweak up a ready-made patterns. You are more advanced than I am. I have been sewing for 37+ years and know the August push you talk about, then got into craft sewing mainly for years, a bit of quilting (self-taught) which mostly takes on the look of folk art due to my lack of coloring within the lines if you get my drift.

I know what you mean about fabric being expensive. I too have used fabric.com and gorgeousfabrics.com.

I have sewn mostly casual easy attire, summer stuff. Now I am interested in doing more and making more...kind of getting into this "slow clothes" movement. Hey, I do it with food so why not clothing too?

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  08:07:47 AM  Show Profile
Hey Gals--

I love to make my own clothes, though I don't enjoy working with stretchy fabrics because I don't own a serger. I know that would make a world of difference. I prefer to use my treadle, however, since it is non-electric and doesn't cost a penny to run! Plus, I get exercise...well, not a lot, but sort of!

Suzanne- I love my Butterick 3773 (has a yoke but allows nice full skirts that don't require wide fabric) and Kwik Sew 1049 patterns. The Kwik Sew sort of needs 60" wide fabric if you want to lengthen it for a nice long skirt which is what I do. It has a couple variations including a ruffled bottom or just plain full and long style. This is what I'm making for my trip in July to Idaho for the 4th of July BBB!! I am making my travel wardrobe geared specifically toward cool, comfortable, feminine style. Can't wait!!!

Jessie- the duct tape dress form is on page 90 of the Dec/Jan 09 issue. I havn't made it yet but plan to soon. If you can't get your hands on the magazine just email me and I'll copy and mail it to you!

Jami- My mom and I used to make all our own underwear. We also made dozens of turtlenecks for winter wear and used the leftovers for our undies...this made great use of the scraps. I haven't made any in YEARS!! Let me know how yours turn out. Remember to use a ball point needle with the stretchy fabric...makes a world of difference!!!

I haven't found that making my own clothes saves me $$ but I enjoy it and every so often someone gives me fabric so then the clothes are free which is awesome. Also...I've found that many quilt fabs are okay for skirts and gauchos. I made a batik pair of gauchos that I LOVE! Pattern--New Look 6596. Works great with quilting fab. which softens over washings but gives longer wear and stability.

Good luck with the extra 20, Jami!! I've got about 5lbs left of my winter excess that I'm struggling to shed. I'm determined to have it off by July for my trip. At least I can get out now that it is warmer!!

Carrie

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  09:22:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I like the duct tape forms because they are cheap to make. I need to lose about 50lbs right now so I will be changing a lot hopefully over the next year or so.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  09:31:01 AM  Show Profile
Jamie a good book to have if you don't have it already is "Making Patterns from Finished Clothes" it shows how to draft a pattern from ready-to-wear without taking it apart. The techniques are really clear and work well. The easiest way to draft a pattern is to make yourself a "sloaper" or basic pattern that fits you. Then you can use that as the basis for anything else you want to make and you already know the basic fit is good. My sloaper is cut from muslin so I can use it repeatedly without fear of tearing the paper. Another good thing for fitting your own patterns is Swedish tracing paper. It's available in lots of places - from Clothilde on line. It's great because you can sew it and try it on & it doesn't tear easily. Works well for making muslins as well. My daughter went to design school to learn all of this and when she was working on her "line" for her final fashion show project she came home for help and then she decided that a lot of the self-taught short cuts that I came up with out of my ignorance worked better than her schooling....told her she could have saved $30,000 and stayed home. Hee Hee she didn't appreciate that and gave me the {sigh} and the 19yr old eye rollage.

I was an impatient lacksadaisy sewer until I got into making vintage outfits with a lot of details in my early 20's. Then I had to learn slow sewing if I wanted the results I was looking for. You will love drafting your own stuff once you get into it. Threads magazine is a very good one to get as they run articles on drafting and pattern alterations every issue.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1404 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1404 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  09:41:12 AM  Show Profile
Debbie, did you know you could use iron on stabilizer on your patterns and they will last forever--especially the ones you are most fond of.

Betty in Pasco
I also sew a lot now.
Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  1:54:06 PM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
I love to make my own clothes! I do not make all of my clothes though.
I just recently learned to make my own underwear. I got the pattern from Wal-Mart. I make them out of old t-shirts.

I love to sew!

Belle

http://www.homesteaderbelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  2:30:57 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, I got Threads last year but stopped the subscription due to being magazine poor. I "gasp" stopped MJ's too. I figured I had enough ideas until the cows come home (we don't have cows so that tells you how long it might be) and enough patterns and stash...it's out of hand so I said enough is enough.

I will look at the book. I have a real fetish for crafty books. I just today went and got a library card since our city library decided to stop charging $50 year for county residents and give us a freebie and of course I got a knitting book to peruse.

On the sloper, I have read making one but I thought they were sewn together? How could you use them for a cutting pattern if they are sewn? I think you and I need to get together Sheri. I'll teach you how to comb and you can teach me how to slope...LOL.

Alee, I wanted to make a duct tape form and got the instructions before MJ's came out in the mag but I was too embarrassed to ask someone to help me and also frightened that I would have to pee while I was all wrapped up and then I'd be doubly embarrassed!

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  2:34:21 PM  Show Profile
>> Because it's really hot & humid here in the summer, I prefer to make cotton blouses and peasant shirts so I don't feel like a sweltering thang all summer <<

I'm in the process of putting together a blouse pattern I bought for 99 Cents 2 years ago...I wanted to make it last year, but with the move down here, no sewing got done. So now I'm makin' up for lost time.

I also made a peasant shirt last fall w/a sunflower patterned fabric. Fits wonderful. And got another ready for the final hem with a blue/beige flowered fabric. Light -- cottony and oh so comfortable.

The same blouses were "On Sale" last week in the Macy's Sale Flyer for $29.99 --

I say, let some other person pay the outrageous price..I'll spend $10.00 an' have the same thing!!

Laurianne
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  6:25:26 PM  Show Profile
Jaime, that's a deal. A sloaper is sewn and fitted initially for fit and taken apart and used flat. It is basically a measuring tool to get accurate measurements on other patterns. For instance a basic pant sloaper would include all the little tweaks you need for your particular body type for perfect fit ie: crotch depth, hip width etc. It looks just like a flat pattern but it's fit is uniquely yours. Then you use it as a basis for adjusting any other pants pattern you will make for basic measurement/fit issues that are separate from design liberties.

I did help my daughter make a duct tape form when she needed super accuracy to fit a corset she decided to make. My only gripe with them is you cannot pin into them because of the tack on the tape.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  6:41:07 PM  Show Profile
Carrie--Thanks for the offer. I found it! I thought I had that issue but couldn't find it. Found them all this afternoon. Thanks for being so sweet!!
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

urban farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Melissa
Posen IL
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  7:16:09 PM  Show Profile
Is making underwear difficult? Any certain tips in maing them?
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  04:27:19 AM  Show Profile
I sew for a living, so when it came to me. . . I have to say in the past no. . . but this year I have come up with some new, original ideas and YES I will make my own clothes again!!
( with the fabric stash I have, I should have quite a colorful wardrobe when I am done!)

I am looking for a shirt dress pattern. .. the one I use to have that the mice made a nest out of. . . anyway, I love that style dress since it is comfortable and practical for working.

I would love to see what all of you are creating. . . maybe we could do a show and tell as we finish each piece!

Joanna #566
JojoNH

http://www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do you make your own clothes? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page