Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Does anyone play a musical instrument?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Does anyone play a musical instrument? Next Topic  

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  7:57:37 PM  Show Profile
I have never seen anyone mention playing music only singing. I was wondering if anyone is into an instrument. I play guitar and dabble with piano and hammered dulcimer.

Sheri

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  10:08:25 PM  Show Profile
I pick up my violin every now and then. It's been years since I've played in an orchestra or on a regular basis, but I love it. :)

I would LOVE to play the piano, and have taken lessons several times, but I'm just too uncoordinated...both hands...all fingers...AHHH!!! :P

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

www.jodielyzabeth.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  03:33:32 AM  Show Profile
I played flute all throughout jr high and highschool. Come to find out I can't read a lick of music,,it's al done by ear.

Loved 4 years of marching band

Picked up swimming in college. Kent's marching band wasn't up to the standards I was used to and I didn't want to wear the q-tip hats back then.

I still love watching the drum and bugle corps perform.

Oh, and both my folks were in the band, Dad even marched in OSU's. (That's Ohio State). Brother tried clairnet and switched to bass drum....more his style
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  03:34:52 AM  Show Profile
Sadly these days, I'm too far from a major city that has an orchestra or any type of musical arts prgram.

Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  04:45:35 AM  Show Profile
I play the guitar. Can twink on the piano. Can do one LOUD rif on my son's drumkit (great stress reliever) ..and I'm an old vocalist who primarily just sings in the shower or the car these days but used to perform.
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  05:07:14 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Yes I do!!! My undergrad is music education and I had to learn how to play all of them (in varying degrees). My major instrument was oboe/English horn and my minor instrument was piano. So those with a few others I am advanced on. It's funny though I really want to get better at playing fiddle by ear....when you're classically trained music reading is beat into your head. Ah to be able to do that would be amazing!

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."

http://liggybitsandpieces.blogspot.com/
http://ligonierliving.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  06:29:55 AM  Show Profile
when i was little i played piano. then in 3rd or 4th grade thru 8th grade i played clarinet. i stopped in highschool cause if you were in band, you had to be in marching band (football games)and i was a cheerleader (liked the outfit better!) the clarinet is still laying around here somewhere, but i don't know if i could play it anymore..... my son actually used/played it in junior high when he was required to play an instrument. when i looked at how much instruments cost to buy and/or rent, i told him the clarinet is a fine musical instument for a guy to play!!
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  06:31:46 AM  Show Profile
I play bass in a punk/rock band. My husband is the singer/songwriter/guitar player. His own main instrument is drums, so he can record a song all by himself but he needs other people to help out if he wants to play a live show.

Growing up, I played flute in the school band and took piano lessons briefly. Sometimes I really miss having sheet music...I worry constantly about losing my place in a song because I can't see where I am and what's coming up. Reading music truly is an engrained habit!

Ironically, I think I'm pretty good at playing bass because I was such a lousy flutist. I got really good at "sitting out" the runs of high notes that I couldn't hit, and then jumping back in. I think it's sad that so many people assume "oh, I'm just not musically talented" because they struggle with the first instrument they try. Sometimes it's all about the right instrument at the right time in your life.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  06:47:37 AM  Show Profile
Yay, Amie! I so want a link to some music, if you will, please :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  07:20:52 AM  Show Profile
I play the piano and would not even thought of it if Sheri hadn't mentioned it, the dulcimer. My sister and I went to Branson MO and while we were there both of us bought a dulcimer. We sat all night in our cabin and learned to play it.

What I am really good at though is clapping. When someone else plays music, I am the audience and one of the best clappers around. Sometimes I even stand up while clapping.

I am also really good at putting a CD in the machine. Listen to old country and western or clasical.
Go to Top of Page

LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  07:31:19 AM  Show Profile
>> I tried to play piano when I was in something like 3rd grade..and it was horrible for me. I'm super uncoordinated with trying to use both hands on the keys. I'd end up every session with tears. My mother would yell and say I wasn't trying hard enough.

And to make matters worse, my sister was a whiz on the piano -- fast, fast jazz tunes like there was no tomorrow. So you know I got really beat down about my attempts.

To make matters worse, my husband was a music major in high school -- even had a full scholarship to a university in Calif. -- but his mother was too stoned to pay the entrance fee (something like $100) so tom never got to attend. He plays several horns -- trumpet, french horn..a few others.

My middle son is a musician, takes after his father..plays trumpet, french horn and some others that I don't even remember -- now he's all into being an alternative/industrial/loud music-type person. He recently had a couple shows -- one in Richmond Va., and one up in Baltimore Md. --

I like to sit in traffic and belt out a good ol' bluegrass tune..esp. if the car next to me is playing some horrid rap stuff -- I usually start out with "Rollin' In My Sweet Baby's Arms" an' go from there. Makes the rap music suddenly go away..'cause the people roll their windows up!! LOL!!

Laurianne
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  07:47:41 AM  Show Profile
I play the piano and I have a hammered piano dulcimer
I haven't gotten to play my dulcimer; much, because I need a special table for it.
I have had it for a no . of years ; just haven't gotten the table
I have always wanted to learn to play the harp.
But , now that I am in my 50's I suppose that isn't going to happen. lol. hugs sheila

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
http;//www.sheilascreativetouches.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  09:42:22 AM  Show Profile
Here's the link to my band's myspace page: www.myspace.com/therealandysmash

There's a few songs, and some not-very-flattering pictures of me if you want to see!
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  11:39:54 AM  Show Profile
As far as I am concerned it's never too late to learn anything!! I'm glad to know there are so many musicians out there. I was a music major in college too. I began by playing viola and cello but then my high school only had band and no orchestra. It wasn't too cool to play cello so I took up the guitar about that time as well and have kept up with that. I am also a very out of practice pianist but I still enjoy playing without an audience. I am trying to concentrate on the hammered dulcimer which I think has such an etheral (sp?) sound. My husband and I were in a rock band back in the late '70's and early 80's and did the bar scene for awhile pre-children.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  12:41:23 PM  Show Profile
Amie, I think it's fabulous!!! You and my best friend, here, in Kentucky (Julie) are so much alike! She and her husband, Tom, met in Long Island and started playing in a punk band when they were 19--she plays bass. They're still married and have two wonderful boys, and they still play in a band, along with my husband (when he feels like playing) called Poke. http://www.myspace.com/thejudges

Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  1:22:25 PM  Show Profile
I've played the piano for about 13 years.:) What fun to read of everyone who plays something.
I tried to learn the clarinet when I was in school but I just kept biting the reeds so that learning experience bit the dust..hehe
hugs
Jessie

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  1:36:17 PM  Show Profile
Hey, I like Poke! Especially the second track (Liquid Mechanic). Sorta halfway between the Velvet Underground and the B-52s, although I'm mostly just calling it based on the vocals.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  1:49:53 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad, Amie! They make me smile :) And Liquid Mechanic is one of my favorites--Velvet Underground is right on the money (even down to the sometime out of tune guitar :))

Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  3:37:39 PM  Show Profile
Hi, I played the piano and guitar when I was younger. can't do too much with either now because of arthritis. I think I would like to try a hammered dulcimer. Used to sing in sweet Adelines(womens barbershop) my Mom said I was singing before I could talk. LOL. Love all kinds of music. Lots of talented farmgirls around here. blessings Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  8:20:08 PM  Show Profile
I used to play piano, havent' touched one in years. Play guitar and dulcimer, self taught. And been learning harmonica but not practiced in a bit. It's very interesting to see how talented everyone is.

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

"Courage is being scared to death... but saddling up anyway" ***John Wayne

http://main.acsevents.org/goto/iloveyoumom

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mulegirl
True Blue Farmgirl

184 Posts

rosemary
cottonwood pass co
USA
184 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  06:57:17 AM  Show Profile
In grade schoolI played the clarinet. Our Band director, Mr. Mckensie was someone they make movies about. Not only did we love playing music, we had band camp, recorded records, and our elementary band performed at the New York Worlds Fair way backin 1964. Is that too cool for a ten year old. But when I got to high school the music director couldn't compare so I sold my clarinet and bought a pair of cowboy boots.
Rosemary

smile, follow your heart and don't look back
http://web.mac.com/rosemaryart
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Does anyone play a musical instrument? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page