Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  10:44:28 AM  Show Profile
I love looking at the clothes in the old 1943 Woman's Home Companion magazines that I have. You really did look like a girl back then. I posted a couple of pictures. I know I'm always on the look out in the summer for a cute sundress, but never really find what I have in mind. Now if I could only sew!

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  11:08:41 AM  Show Profile
Don't you just wish that women dresses like that now? So pretty and feminine and yet, it was really stylish. Now, you can't tell some of the women from the men. I don't mean the working farmgirls or the girls who like the jeans and such, I mean the women who just don't dress like women.(on purpose)
It would be so nice if this was the style and expectations of today's society. I would just love it!!
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"Every man's life is a fairy-tale written by God's fingers."--Hans Christian Anderson

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  12:11:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love the styles! What a great resource you have there! I wish I had the waist those gals did!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

Edited by - Alee on Apr 03 2009 12:12:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  12:35:54 PM  Show Profile
I love watching the old "Thin Man" movies and Katharine Hepburn. I love the clothes. Even the lounging pants were feminine. I always thought I was born in the wrong time. I was listening the the Rod Stewart American Songbook CDs the other day (not a big Stewart fan, but I love the songs and music) and my boss finally walked in and said, "Can't you listen to something from this century?" You know something? I'd rather not.

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

EllynAnne
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

EllynAnne
Pueblo CO
108 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  12:41:09 PM  Show Profile
This is too much! I have 2 years of the "Companion" magazines, and I love looking through them, noting, as you did, the dress of the era was dresses!

Been a while since I've commented, but I've visited often, and visited yours and others' sites. You do have an eye for display!

xxea

Tie One On...an apron, of course!
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  12:44:40 PM  Show Profile
Oh, the forties. My favorite time of all. I love old time radio (especially Jack Benny and Fibber McGee and Molly) I love the clothing and the manners and...
Oh, I could go on and on. Unfortunately for me, I was born way too late. Or at least that is what my mom tells me. That was my grandmother's time. Oh, and the movie's...especially Bob Hope, Bing Crosby..anything with Judy Garland. Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis and Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz and...
Like I said, I could go on and on. It is my absolute favorite time of all. And the music, the music was to die for. I especially love Dennis Day the tenor from Benny's show. How I wish that I could go back and live then, even if only for a week or so.

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  1:02:07 PM  Show Profile
I love them too.
But they only show those skinny women
no plus size women allowed I guess Ha
I love the aprons of those periods.
all the needlework hugs sheila

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
http;//www.sheilascreativetouches.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

a rose
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Linda
Waterford NY
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  1:08:15 PM  Show Profile
I noticed today mothers are dressing their little girls in dresses from 40's and 50's style. So cute and non- sexy style.

Remember me as a rose.
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  1:19:54 PM  Show Profile
LOVE IT!!
You know if ever I would own a dress or skirt like that I would wear it proudly.
I love that style, always have always will. LOVE the movies with Doris Day in her cute 40 and 50´s outfits. I always wished for dresses like that to return!! I saw a movie a while ago and the leading lady was wearing a DREAM dress, something I would wear and wear again, lol.
Call me old fashioned too, I don´t mind. I was born too late and I am 51 DUH!!

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  2:44:31 PM  Show Profile
I love it too! So much class. I think that it why I love old movies from the 30's and 40's best :)

Kay, I love the Thin Man series :)

What great magazines Nancy Jo. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for those :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Apr 03 2009 2:45:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  2:52:34 PM  Show Profile
Simplicity patterns have some nice feminine dresses for spring/summer.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

ranchetta
True Blue Farmgirl

318 Posts

carol
Marysville Wahington
USA
318 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  5:20:53 PM  Show Profile
Very feminine dresses.

I remember June Cleaver wearing those while mopping her floors!!! I used to LOVE that show...I really miss some of these old family ones...boy, times have changed, huh?

http://curlywillowsranch.blogspot.com/
http://alteredshots.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2009 :  05:22:38 AM  Show Profile
I have some Women's Companion mags as well, surprises me to read them and see the same topics of discussion still going on today...really surprised to see an article on birth control...

I too love everything about the 40's and 50's (I'm 56), I'm sure I was born in the wrong era....
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2009 :  10:24:01 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I do love to look at the styles, but after seeing all the torture devices women cinched themselves into to get those tinie tiny waists... Ouch! I like being able to love myself the way I am. I heard somewhere that women even had their lower ribs removed sometimes so they could funnel down into the "right" shape. Aaa! And it gets worse! There was a show on BBC about women getting cosmetic surgery (recently) on their genitals. Insane! When will women stop beating themselves up to attain some changeable idea of beauty? Right down to their private bits? What is it that allows for this unhealthy self-criticism?

I love most about MaryJane that she allows us to be beautiful as we are, and for our inner strength and beauty. Grace is about letting the inner glow out. She's taken some wonderful values and shined them up and is sharing them with the "be yourself" emphasis instead of the other. Awesome.

Gotta go hug my daughter and fill her full of self respect and appreciation as is. :)

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1404 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1404 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2009 :  10:32:35 AM  Show Profile
I remember those clothes. I also remember the undergarments the women used to wear to keep them looking fashionable. My grandmother worse wool stockings and garter belt in the winter and cotton stocking and garter belt in the summer. Sunday-go-to-meeting required "nylons" until the war. That terrible under the bust to the hip corset that she wore looked like torture. Would you be willing to do that? MIMWTK I'm a jeans and T-shirt type of gal myself.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2009 :  2:21:17 PM  Show Profile
Nancy, is the stoneware that you got at the thrift a Salmon Falls stoneware? Looks like some that I bought on one of our trips to New England. New Hampshire, I think. I got mine at the factory, wish it had been at a thrift shop, but far from it. It was kinda pricey. I love it just the same.
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2009 :  4:42:56 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
True fashion and pride! :)

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."

http://liggybitsandpieces.blogspot.com/
http://ligonierliving.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  6:20:27 PM  Show Profile
Doesn't it just make you long for Tupperware parties, neighborly visits, and beautiful simplicity? I always thought I should have been a young woman in the 60s, but truly wasn't the most feminine and elegant times in the 40s and 50s.....sighs....lol
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  8:04:01 PM  Show Profile
I love 40's fashions for a couple reasons - they are very flattering, nothing fits like a bias cut dress, and it was an era where normal size women were in style. Because of war rationing women with some meat on their bones were considered more desirable so you saw women with shoulders and hips as the ideal during that time period. Kind of interesting what dictates fashion - now in a time when over-consumption is the norm, we look to these super-skinny under-nourished models as the "ideal" weird!!
Anyhow, enough of my cultural studies soap-boxing, I collect 40's dresses and aprons - I love them, my favorite dress is navy blue with polka dots, I had to quit wearing it so I don't wear it out completely.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  9:53:13 PM  Show Profile
And what about Audrey Hepburn, Oh my Gosh. Talk about stylish!!
I can understand the not wanting to wear corsets etc. But just the style of dressing was so elegant :)

Oh and I love my jeans and flowy skirts too, don't get me wrong! It is just that the whole era is so appealing to me, lol

My personal blog:

Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  9:59:40 PM  Show Profile
its a shame cause now a days if you were to dress like that, whereever you go people would think you are over dressed or headed somewhere special. or that you're trying to be apart of a fade/sub culture. being feminie isn't something that is taught to girls anymore, but i think it's something that is coming back.

Karen ^_^

http://apple-and-eve.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  10:43:13 PM  Show Profile
Yes Karen, it IS coming back. I have seen some very VERY pretty dresses here. I am SO tempted to buy one. AND they are in-expensive to boot, YAY!! If I were to buy in-expensive fabric I would be paying more than ready bought. And the one I saw is SO feminine, and pretty and ssssshhhh pink :)

I CAN't buy it, I know.... sigh. But one can dream :)

My personal blog:

Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  10:53:55 PM  Show Profile
yeah, i've finally come into my girly years. my mother always swore she put me in too many dresses when i was little and thats why i avoided them growing up. but now i'm kinda starting to embrace my girly feminine side again. of course ive had a lot of points of view change of the last few years and i always believe a woman should be feminine to some degree.

Karen ^_^

http://apple-and-eve.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  05:53:28 AM  Show Profile
Me too Karen, me too :)

My personal blog:

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Fashions from the 1940's Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page