Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Books
 Book Ideas
 Is there a MaryJane's Farm Cookbook in the works?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Book Ideas: Previous Topic Is there a MaryJane's Farm Cookbook in the works? Next Topic  

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  11:04:44 AM  Show Profile
I was just printing the requirements for the merit badge "Organic on a Budget" and kind of felt deflated by the directions. I am SO NOT creative when it comes to cooking. I don't look at a pile of ingredients and think, "Hmm, I could make this or I could make that." No, I have to be told exactly what to buy and exactly what to use.

I am an adventurous eater, unlike the rest of my family who prefer to subsist on some form of flour, cheese and tomato product for every meal (that would be pizza, spaghetti, tacos or macaroni and cheese), so I am willing to try new things. I watched the MJF video on how to make a BakeOver and was very surprised to see sweet potatoes and greens mixed. See, that is something that I would never in a million years have thought of.

So what I am asking is can we get a MaryJane COOKBOOK? I would love to have all of the BakeOver combos and ChillOver flavors all in one place. With tips on cooking outside. All the different things that you can do with the Budget Mix. Just having it all in one spot would be so great. It would be even better if it came in a binder so that we could add to it as more recipes are developed.

Farmgirl Sister #554

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  1:45:29 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Nikki,
In the "back issues" Of the MaryJanes Magazines she has a "Farm Kitchen" Issue. It is full of great recipes and ideas... and some awesome writings on "everyday Organics on a farmgirl budget...I am sending the link here. http://shopping.maryjanesfarm.org/s.nl/it.A/id.650/.f
Happy Cooking!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  4:56:22 PM  Show Profile
Ahhhh, then that is what I need! Thanks, Rene, for the info and link!

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  5:27:13 PM  Show Profile
Also, two editions of an MJF cookbook have been done by our fellow farmgirl Willowcreek. They both include lots of recipes from all the farmgirls here and they are fantastic! I am sure the farm could tell you more, or you could email Julie (willowcreek)

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

cowgirlandboys
True Blue Farmgirl

308 Posts

Rachael
Missouri
USA
308 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  06:21:05 AM  Show Profile
Nikki,
I totally understand how you feel. I too do not feel very creative in the kitchen. I used to have a neighbor who could make 20 things out 5 ingredients, and I was always baffled. She was a magician!

This is one area where I rely totally on the talents of others.
One suggestion that was made to me that has helped is to make a list of basic ingredients that you usually buy. Include products you can buy locally and reliably, hopefully organically. :)

Then collect recipes that use these basic ingredients. Making a cookbook or box of these recipes is a big help. Then the entire family can access the recipes for meals they will have grown up with!

I think it is important too that in making that ingredient list that items be available locally, preferably grown locally, from smaller companies for a good price and the least amount of packaging. I want to feel like I have voted with my dollar in a place that helps the local economy, provides a service to the community, and treats its employees like people. A good book to read about this same idea is Victoria Moran's Shelter for the Spirit. It's a great book and the author is a neat lady, very talented. Definite farmgirl material!

Good luck with your cooking adventures Nikki!

Happy Trails!

Rachael
Farmgirl Sister #535
Go to Top of Page
  Book Ideas: Previous Topic Is there a MaryJane's Farm Cookbook in the works? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page