Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 09 2009 :  6:26:16 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Heather - that is SOOooooo incredible! And, yes... please keep us posted!

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

Niamh
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Idaho
140 Posts

Posted - May 09 2009 :  8:45:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Niamh a Yahoo! Message
Heather, I love hearing about what you're doing. If there was a group like that in our area when my girls were older, I'd jump on it. Starting something like that for my girls sounds like it might be in the cards.

My farming blog: www.localfoodblog.blogspot.com

My living blog:
www.unprocessedfamily.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

heartgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

heather
loveland colorado
USA
56 Posts

Posted - May 10 2009 :  05:19:49 AM  Show Profile
I am in soooooooooo much gratitude that I am able to do this.It is truly like living a dream :) If your interested we are going to put together a journal and I can pass it on. We're hoping by next year to include boys and more of an age range :) Just being open to receive what comes our way.

Thanks for all your encouraging words !!!!!!!!!!!

Heather
LoveChics of Loveland Colorado
Farmgirl #550

Don't die with your music in you ... not no way not no how!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 10 2009 :  06:50:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Heather- I would love to hear how you are setting it all up. I don't have the necessary skills to teach things to the kids except maybe gardening. Anyway- one of the things I have always wanted to do is teach horse handling to inner city kids. Once we get our own property that is. And it would be really neat to do horses and cooking and maybe slowly introduce some of the other life skills or something.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

heartgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

heather
loveland colorado
USA
56 Posts

Posted - May 10 2009 :  07:11:23 AM  Show Profile
Alee- I have a lot of people that have jumped in to the idea and all are helping me. I just had an idea and the teachers showed up. There are local business owners, friends with different skills, the local library, and neighbors that are supporting and loving this idea ... really it is a gathering of like minded people coming together, I would love to have a horse workshop and have a friend that does equine therapy ... we're kicking it around. It is really all about community.Ii thought this was too big an idea and friend said to me " this is in your heart and how you live everyday ..... trust in the idea." And it has all just come together. I'd be happy to keep it all in journal form and share with everyone.

Happy Mothers Day :)

Heather
Farmgirl #550

Go to Top of Page

Niamh
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Idaho
140 Posts

Posted - May 10 2009 :  12:34:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Niamh a Yahoo! Message
Heather, any ideas or techniques that you'd like to share, I'd love to hear. It's not only a lovely educational idea, it's a fantastic community building technique - especially in a rural, spread-out area like the one I live in. It's bound to draw in people that I would like to meet.

My farming blog: www.localfoodblog.blogspot.com

My living blog:
www.unprocessedfamily.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

heartgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

heather
loveland colorado
USA
56 Posts

Posted - May 10 2009 :  8:40:41 PM  Show Profile
Okay ... I'm trying to get this all up and running so I have a lot of meeting here and there but will post journal out here on this thread if that works for everyone :) working on blog and website or twitter communication also so people can tune in to what's going on during the day. All pretty new to me, but hey i'll have a bunch of tweenies and teenagers around ..... and the teacher becomes the student :)

Heather
Farmgirl #550

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 10 2009 :  8:41:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That sounds great, Heather!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  04:48:57 AM  Show Profile
I absolutely LOVE the title "mud between our toes". How wonderful, Heather! I can't wait to see updates on how all your plans came to fruition!

Oakley and I are going to be going to a workshop on how to build our own outdoor fireplace with cob. Cob is basically clay, sand and straw and anyone can build with it if they have the time. I have always been interested in it since it seems to be an extremely organic sort of way to build a dwelling. It is like sculpting and form flows with whatever you want to create. Anyway, I am EXTREMELY excited about this opportunity to learn about it. Maybe I'll make a cob chicken house when I get back. Ha!

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

heartgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

heather
loveland colorado
USA
56 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  05:24:53 AM  Show Profile
Now that sounds wonderful. I've been contemplating different chic house designs. going on a COup de Tour in Ft, Collins. Where you ride your bike to different homes and check out the chic house designs. But, yours sounds right up my alley. Keep us posted :)

Heather
Farmgirl #550

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  09:08:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Nikki- That sounds cool! I have seen some Cob buildings on TV and they were very interesting!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  4:42:43 PM  Show Profile
Y'all, I love me some alternative building techniques!

So cool, Alee, that you have seen cob. Not many people have heard of it!

Karen, I am going to have to go and look up chic house designs. That sounds cool, too.

Lovin' Man and I went to a Solar Home tour about 5 years ago. I was so excited by the variety. There was a yurt, a straw bale house, a bermed earth house and more! I was very intent on seeing an official composting toilet but was sorely disappointed when theirs just turned out the be a 50 gallon drum with a toilet seat. Bummer.

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

NudeFoodFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Heide
Benton City WA
433 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  11:19:41 AM  Show Profile
While I was in school at The Evergreen State College in Olympia WA there was a Sustainable Agriculture class where they each got to build an "alternative" structure. It was so cool to see how people made homes out of "garbage." Like straw bales,clay/earth/mud, bottles, cord wood, octi-shape etc. One student did purchase a composting toilet that was the real deal (a little under $1000). It was up tall (we called it a throne) and water less. When you were done you scoped in a pile of saw dust and turned the handle and it spun it below. Outside the house there was a cabinet where when you opened it up there was "garden ready" dirt. Very amazing but made so many squimish. . .
Here is the link to the company who makes em.
http://www.sun-mar.com/
Heather~ love your camp idea, how fun!
Best,
h

Nude Food Farm
~Grown so good,
Dressing is Optional.
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  12:48:09 PM  Show Profile
Cool, Heide! Did the toilet have a bad odor to you? That was one of the main things that I wanted to know. I do love the idea of not have to be tied into a septic tank and not wasting water, either. I guess I would use the garden ready dirt for flowers but not food. Ha!

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

NudeFoodFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Heide
Benton City WA
433 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  1:02:09 PM  Show Profile
Nikki, there is no smell. It is way more modern than one would think; lots of advantages because of being able to be off the grid and like you said no septic, no water needed. Just a little more pricey but a great solution for little cabins in the making.

On the subject of Farm-schooling, last week we just had our first farm tour of biology students. All so entertained with the idea of eating flowers (that is what our small farm specializes in). It was a great way of teaching the importance of organic farming and heirloom seeds. Most these kids are boxed, factory food-
Mc Donalds generation, even though they are growing up in the middle of farming country they are so removed. All of them left excited to eat fresh and took home flower petals to compliment their families salad.

Yee Ha! It is great to be a FarmGirl,
h

Nude Food Farm
~Grown so good,
Dressing is Optional.
Go to Top of Page

heartgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

heather
loveland colorado
USA
56 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  3:00:44 PM  Show Profile
Hi Heide~

Yea! One of the wrkshops I'm doing is " Cooking outside the BOX" same as what you are talking about. Throw any ideas about flower enhancement on foods or deserts or teas whatever :D We about to get running with the whole thing so any last minute ideas are welcome. Your farm sounds dreamy :)

I was looking for a septic alternative. I'm checking into the sun-mar
Thank you.

Heather
Farmgirl #550

Go to Top of Page

NudeFoodFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Heide
Benton City WA
433 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  5:32:11 PM  Show Profile
Ok Heather ~ and here are a couple of recipes that are mega easy.
#1 The Ice Cube
Take little flowers, like viola or lilac and put them in an ice cube tray and fill with water, they make any drink fancy. You can also do this with chopped up mint for Ice Teas (or mojitos, for the teacher).

#2 The Cheese Ball
Take your favorite hard cheeses, I use Chedder and Pepper Jack. Cut into little cubes and mix into a softened box of cream cheese. Roll into a ball and refridgerate. Than go out and pick, chive flowers, pansy, rose petals, and calandula flowers. Pull all the petals apart and place them on a plate. Roll the cheese ball in the flower petals until the whole ball is covered, you can roll the ball in nuts too. It is beautiful and tasty.

Then I just love to add flowers as a garnish to any plate or glass, instantly making a dish classy. I also just learned that squash blossoms have more nutrition than the actual squash. By the time it becomes a veggie, the water dilutes all the vitamins and minerals. Sorta with in the same concept as sprout being better for you.

Also I am learning how to subsitute bread and crackers with greens. Chard works great for wraps.
have fun. . .

*oh and don't forget to remind them that they must know for sure the flower is edible and has not been sprayed with anything toxic before consuming.

Best,
h

Nude Food Farm
~Grown so good,
Dressing is Optional.
Go to Top of Page

heartgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

heather
loveland colorado
USA
56 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  1:42:39 PM  Show Profile
Perfect !!!!!! Thank you, especially for the *oh. Made that mistakes in Oregon once, ate some blueberries off the side of the trail that were, let's just say that I later found out, were toxic. Not fun :(

Love the news about squash blossoms !!!!!!!

Heather
Farmgirl #550

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Book Ideas: Previous Topic farmschooling Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page