Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 HomeSafeHome
 Recipe for Green Fabric Softener wanted
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Recipe for Green Fabric Softener wanted Next Topic
Page: of 3

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  12:35:09 PM  Show Profile
I've done the tin foil ball before, but it wasn't super successful, for some reason, for me. I am a rep for a cloth diaper company that sells those wool balls, so if anyone needs any, I'd love to help.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

herb19355
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Debi
Danielsville, GA
USA
321 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  12:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Send herb19355 a Yahoo! Message
I also add vinegar, but one additional thing that I do ~ is to run my towels in the dryer for about 3 minutes... while I add the next load of clothes. For some reason, they do not get stiff on the line... I would also do the same to jeans, but my DH likes "them so stiff they will stand in the corner on their own!".

Debi
herb19355

GA Farmgirl #2515
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  7:19:51 PM  Show Profile
I received my dryer balls and they are working great. I use vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser in my washer and then the dryer balls in my dryer. Even in dry, static-y West Texas, I'm not having static in my clothes.
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  8:15:18 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to try the vinegar in the washer with my felted ball in the dryer and see if that takes care of the static. Thanks for posting!

----------------------------------------------------------

Cedar Mountain Herb School and Botanicals
www.cedarmountainherbs.com
Become a fan! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cedar-Mountain-Herb-School/199194060117277

Go to Top of Page

Kimarie91
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Kim
Tx
USA
114 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2011 :  05:55:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Kimarie91 a Yahoo! Message
Wool balls seem to be working! YEAH! I finally tried the vinegar and it softened really nicely. My sons karate uniform that was pretty dirty came out nice and white too AND my washer spinner seems to be more shiny and white. So glad I found this thread.
Go to Top of Page

birdie71
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Robin
Glendale Arizona
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  08:12:01 AM  Show Profile  Send birdie71 a Yahoo! Message
I use vinegar too! Works fantastic! Plus vinegar helps fabrics from bleeding or fading.

Robin
Farmgirl Sister #1301
Farming in the Sonoran Desert? Hmmm?!

my mama's (ceejay48) craftiness ~ www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com
my daddy's craftiness ~ www.aspenforge.com
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  09:39:04 AM  Show Profile
I use vinegar and wool balls and they work great. I bought some 100% wool sweaters at a local thrift store, cut circles from them and wrapped them around a tennis ball. I stitched it all together will wool yarn and then threw them in a load of wash and felted them. They work great!They felted great and can hardly tell they have been stitched on. So much cheaper than buying wool yarn to make balls.

Patty #1840

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  8:19:35 PM  Show Profile
Vinegar is great, but my new love is wool dryer balls.
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2011 :  6:22:53 PM  Show Profile
I have been using plain old white vinegar for years with great results. Soft cloths, no static or smell. Just put it in the dispenser where the softner should go.
Tammyb

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

hummingbirdjoy
True Blue Farmgirl

1217 Posts

Linda
Washington State
USA
1217 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  11:52:19 AM  Show Profile
Great idea to use the downy ball with vinegar. Always use vinegar
to clean my washer so that makes sense. Very much liked Michele's
tip freezing the orange, lemon and lime peels and later mixing with
the vinegar.

What I make with my
hands, I give with my heart ....
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  4:45:22 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne, you might want to try more felted wool balls. I'm not sure just one would really do you much good. I use 6!
Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  09:21:25 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by coffeemom

This is the fabric softener I use all the time: 1 quart white vinegar, 1 cup dried lavender, 5 drops lavender essential oil. Put all ingredients in a container and let it "steep" for a week. Strain into a container you can easily pour from and use it! I put mine in a Downy Ball. Works great!

I may try this approach without the old man knowing! I bought detergent a while back, even though someone had given him a HUGE bottle of another brand, and he asked why. I told him that the kind I was buying was the only thing that didn't make me break out in hives. The only problems are 1) it isn't always available at my grocery store and 2) it's more expensive than most! We already use vinegar to clean the coffee pot, and anything we can do to save money and go back to basics works!

Farmgirl 3535
Pflugerville, TX
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Recipe for Green Fabric Softener wanted Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page