Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 HomeSafeHome
 Recipe for Green Fabric Softener wanted
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Recipe for Green Fabric Softener wanted Next Topic
Page: of 3

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  11:41:09 AM  Show Profile
OH, I forgot to mention that I used the foam static balls and the rubbery dryer balls before I started using vinegar. I don't use that much vinegar so i may keep using the balls. Can't hurt. They do keep wrinkles at bay!

Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2009 :  5:22:51 PM  Show Profile
I've been having problems with my towels not "towelling" very well. It seems like they were just pushing water off and not very well at that. I started using dryer sheets and that seems to be helping. I'm going to try the vinegar and see what happens. I'd much rather use vinegar.

----------------------------------------------------------
I woke up on January 1st and it was 2009.
And it's been that way ever since!

www.goodnaturedearthling.com
Cedar Mountain Herb School
http://goodnaturedearthling.wordpress.com/
Become a fan! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Good-Natured-Earthling/85786527923

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2009 :  6:15:28 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne from WA....I love your signature!!! lolol....That's too cute!TY for the laugh!
Judy

Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2009 :  6:37:46 PM  Show Profile
xo

I woke up on January 1st and it was 2009.
And it's been that way ever since!

www.goodnaturedearthling.com
Cedar Mountain Herb School
http://goodnaturedearthling.wordpress.com/
Become a fan! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Good-Natured-Earthling/85786527923

Go to Top of Page

suzifire
True Blue Farmgirl

95 Posts

Suzi
Denton N.C.
USA
95 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  04:38:10 AM  Show Profile
To my vinegar I also add a drop each of tea tree oil & lavender essential oil

"I want a world that is sane & just & clean & I am willing to do my part to make it so"
Go to Top of Page

Dana Marks
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Dana
Kennewick Washington
1 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2009 :  7:15:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Dana Marks a Yahoo! Message
I was wondering... I have one of those HE-only machines and I don't know if vinager is safe to use in this type of machine. some of you said it hurts the enamal. I have spent way to much money on this machine to chance it without asking first. I've been using dryer sheets (I hate them! you never know where they will show up next! My husband and I have both worn then to work in a pant leg or sweater. Ugh!)I would appreciate the info. Thanks so much!

Dana, Kennewick Wa
Go to Top of Page

coffeemom
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Melody
Carlinville IL
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  5:16:21 PM  Show Profile
This is the fabric softener I use all the time: 1 quart white vinegar, 1 cup dried lavender, 5 drops lavender essential oil. Put all ingredients in a container and let it "steep" for a week. Strain into a container you can easily pour from and use it! I put mine in a Downy Ball. Works great!
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  07:27:42 AM  Show Profile
thanks,coffeemom!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  8:06:13 PM  Show Profile
I scent my vinegar by packing a canning jar with citrus peels or an herb, ie, basil. Fill the jar with plain vinegar. Let it sit in the sun for 2-3 days. Strain. Fragrance is subtle but nice. Works great in HE machine.
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  8:11:43 PM  Show Profile
I haven't heard any first hand stories about it hurting the enamel on the machine.

I've been using it for over a year now. I use 1/4 cup in the rinse cycle. I keep a smaller bottle that I refill from the gallon size vinegar bottle. It also works great for getting out the peepee smells from potty training.

Another vinegar softening idea: use a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a large cup of water (20 oz or more) and rinse your hair with it a few times.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  07:25:37 AM  Show Profile
(Dumb question) do you sit and watch the washer to get the vinegar in with the rinse, or what?! How do you time it?

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  08:03:42 AM  Show Profile
No question is dumb. I have a softener dispenser that empties at the appropriate time in the cycle. Most washer have this.
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  10:27:35 AM  Show Profile
Megan,
I don't have an automatic dispenser and I have to watch the cycle to get it in there are the right time and yes sometimes I miss it. I have really long hair so the static really gets to me. I keep planning on setting the timer on the stove to remind me but I forget to do that too.

Someone, I think here at MJF, mentioned a ball of foil in the dryer would help also, so I keep a ball on the dryer and throw it in when I forget the vinegar in the wash and it does seem to help.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

lorraine
salt point ny
USA
158 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  10:11:03 PM  Show Profile
do you have to use the downey ball??? can i put the vinager in iwith the laundry soap?

LorraineMichelle
Farmgirl #3007

Chickens are like potato chips...
You can't have just one!
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  03:52:08 AM  Show Profile
I have a downy ball, so I'll try that. I've got a softener dispenser as well but had NO idea that softener went in in the rinse cycle. You learn something new every day, I guess! :)

Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  06:05:24 AM  Show Profile
Lorraine,

You can't put the vinegar in with the laundry soap. The wash water drains before the rinse cycle starts. At least, in my experience it won't work.

I also don't have a downy ball but have grown accustomed to when my machine starts the rinse cycle. My ears are tuned in to "that" sound.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  11:32:17 AM  Show Profile
Y'all really might want to try felted wool dryer balls. I switched to them about a month ago and Ill never use anything else. They soften clothing without chemicals and you don't have to worry about catching the rinse cycle to put in vinegar (which was my previous method). You buy them once -- not cheap, but well worth it -- throw 'em in your dryer and leave them there for years. As an added benefit, they tend to help clothing dry faster, so you can save a little money that way, too. I got my dryer balls from a woman whose site (http://wooldryerballs.com/about) was recommended here on Farmgirl Connection in another thread. You can also make them yourself. That thread had instructions, IIRC.
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2011 :  04:50:50 AM  Show Profile
I've heard about those wool balls. My dryer is getting up there in age, so it may be a good idea to help it in any way I can. LOL.

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2011 :  05:06:45 AM  Show Profile
I've been using vinegar for over a year and I love it. We have hard well-water, and it gets the whites whiter, too. I can't imagine it would hurt the enamel of a washer, unless you use an awful lot.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2011 :  2:59:28 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne, I learned a long time ago, never to put fabric softener including those little sheets in your towels. It acts like a repellant and will not absorb. I too use a Downey ball with vinegar and no problems. I have some hard dryer balls with little prickley things I use when I can't dry on the line.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  11:48:29 AM  Show Profile
My neighbor friends family eat alot of oranges, lemons, limes in the spring & summer so she collects the peels & freezes them until she gets enough for a gallon jar then packs the jar with them & uses white vinegar over them to fill the jar & sets it in a sunny window for a few days until the vinegar smells like the peels...she then composts the peels so nothing is wasted...she uses this in her laundry & as a cleaner for floors & counter tops...I would do it but how can one person eat that many oranges???? so I just use plain vinegar.....:)....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  1:50:25 PM  Show Profile
I ordered felted wool dryer balls yesterday. I'm going to use them in the dryer along with my scented vinegar in the washer. I can't wait to give them a try.
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  11:47:08 AM  Show Profile
I have been using a felted tennis ball size ball that I made for over a week. Haven't seen any relief from static.

www.cedarmountainherbs.com
Cedar Mountain Herb School and Botanicals
Become a fan! http:/https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cedar-Mountain-Herb-School/199194060117277

Go to Top of Page

Kimarie91
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Kim
Tx
USA
114 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  2:32:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Kimarie91 a Yahoo! Message
I've heard about the vinegar so I'm ready to try that. I have never heard of the wool dryer balls so I checked that out this morning. So far I've got two wound and have wool for four more to get ready tonight. I can't wait to try this after the balls are felted!
Go to Top of Page

Primginger
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Melissa
Wescosville pa
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  05:29:22 AM  Show Profile
You also can try a tin foil ball, it does something to get rid of the static in the dryer, this is what I have been using for the past month, I just fluff the tin foil after each load and throw it back in. I also make my own detergent so I've saved a bunch of money this way, I decided against the homemade liquid detergent cause I think it's too glopy for me, so I do the dry powder.

Enjoying my little Homestead
www.heirloomhomestead.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Recipe for Green Fabric Softener wanted Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page