Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Donna
Bear DE
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  5:34:26 PM  Show Profile
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone knows what I can add to baking soda when it needs a little extra kick to clean the kitchen sinks? I'm trying to avoid bleach and other toxic things but some of the stains don't budge with just the baking soda.

Thanks!

jessabelluh
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Jessica
South Dakota
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  6:16:21 PM  Show Profile
What about something like this?

Scouring Paste
2/3 cup baking soda
1/2 cup liquid soap or detergent
Water
2 tablespoons vinegar
Mix everything except vinegar to form a paste. Add vinegar and stir. Keep paste in a tub at the kitchen sink for scouring pots and pans or the sink itself.

~jess
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2011 :  06:43:45 AM  Show Profile
What works a breeze on counter stains and sinks is baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. I just pour on some hp on the stain and then sprinkle enough b. soda to make a paste. Rubs out stains in seconds.

----------------------------------------------------------

Cedar Mountain Herb School and Botanicals
www.cedarmountainherbs.com
Become a fan! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cedar-Mountain-Herb-School/199194060117277

Go to Top of Page

sewdonna
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Donna
Bear DE
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2011 :  6:06:16 PM  Show Profile
Well, there are two great tips - thanks so much!
Go to Top of Page

SuzanneH
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Suzanne
St Francisville Louisiana
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  4:34:36 PM  Show Profile
I am switching eveything thing out in my house. I have started making my own laundry deg. and dish washing deg. and other cleaners to save money on our house budget and to be nicer to the earth, but you know what? I have found that they clean BETTER than the store bought stuff. Yeah!!!!!!

Suzanne

http://www.etsy.com/shop/countrylifenaturals
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TuttieLou
http://countrynatural.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2011 :  12:34:25 AM  Show Profile
Plain soap and water works great for cleaning kitchen sinks. If you have some spots that need extra help and using baking soda with soap & water doesn't do the trick, try a piece of loofah or other natural abrasive thing. When the sink is clean and dry, try wiping it down with a little mineral oil or baby oil. That will make it easier to clean next time. I'm also a big fan of having two squirt bottles of hydrogen peroxide (the brown one it comes in, fitted with a squirter top) and white vinegar. Use them both in the sink and on countertops to kill germs and mold.

Edited by - Rosemary on Dec 04 2011 12:34:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2011 :  12:37:16 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Rosemary

Plain soap and water works great for cleaning kitchen sinks. If you have some spots that need extra help and using baking soda with soap & water doesn't do the trick, try a piece of loofah or other natural abrasive thing. When the sink is clean and dry, try wiping it down with a little mineral oil or baby oil. That will make it easier to clean next time. I'm also a big fan of having two squirt bottles of hydrogen peroxide (the brown one it comes in, fitted with a squirter top) and white vinegar. Use them both in the sink and on countertops to kill germs and mold.

Edited to add: I was assuming you have a stainless steel sink, but if you're dealing with stains, maybe I'm wrong. Is it white porcelain or that newer stuff they make sinks out of now that will scratch horribly if you use abrasives on it? If that's the case, I think lemons might be your friend ;-)

Go to Top of Page

sewdonna
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Donna
Bear DE
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2011 :  06:46:31 AM  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

Edited to add: I was assuming you have a stainless steel sink, but if you're dealing with stains, maybe I'm wrong. Is it white porcelain or that newer stuff they make sinks out of now that will scratch horribly if you use abrasives on it? If that's the case, I think lemons might be your friend ;-)

Go to Top of Page

sewdonna
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Donna
Bear DE
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2011 :  06:47:52 AM  Show Profile
Duh, I hit reply without typing!!! I do have a white porcelain sink which I love...when it's clean!

quote:
Originally posted by sewdonna

quote:

quote:

Edited by - sewdonna on Dec 04 2011 06:48:41 AM
Go to Top of Page
  HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic safe cleanser Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page