KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  09:05:27 AM  Show Profile
I am at the end of my rope! Last year the guy who cut my hair noticd that I had lost patches of hair. I knew about one because it was up toward the front so I changed my part and lived with it. He said he had found 2 others about the size of a nickel. WRONG! The one on the back of my crown was bigger than a quarter. At first we attributed it to my Weight Watchers diet because I had cut all fat out of my diet. I started using Nioxin hair products and it helped. The biggest spot grew in as did the front. However, the one on the side of my head did not. Once again, I lost a patch of hair on the front of my head and had to change the part again. The gal who was doing my hair said that my eczema could be causing it and recommended her dermatologist because she has alopecia. Well, I went in and got stuff for my eczema (I'm trying to find something more organic and natural) and she gave me stuff for my head and said it was alopecia. Later, I found another totally bald spot on the back of my head down toward the hairline.

I was discussing this with a friend and she said alopecia is actually not a cause of baldness, it is just what they call it. They need to find the cause. She also recommended taking Biotin, which I have been doing. I also found a biotin shampoo and conditioner and have been using those. So far, nothing.

My problem is, this doctor has a real attitude like she is doing me a big favor seeing me and doesn't really have time to deal with me. I am so frustrated. Does anyone have any idea of what I can do to help myself here? I've also started taking flaxseed oil and fish oil supplements along with some vitamin B.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  11:02:03 AM  Show Profile
I know my mother took argenine and ornithine , an amino acid supplement after her chemo and she had good results with that. It is sold as a combination tablet, and it is certainly worth a try...She said she got back more hair than she lost...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  11:51:29 AM  Show Profile
My only advice is to find a new doctor! You're paying big bucks for her time; if she can't be courteous, find someone who can!
Is she a dermatologist or a family doctor? I had a devil of a time getting in to see a dermatologist for a skin condition I have; the wait for several that I called was more than six months - even with a referral from my family doctor! When I mentioned this to my family doctor, he said this is unfortunatley becoming more common. Dermatologists make more money on cosmetic procedures that are cash-only versus regular skin ailments that might be covered by insurance (and thus there is a ceiling on what the insurance company will pay). My doctor suggested I call to get a consultation for something cosmetic, like Botox or laser hair removal, and then while I'm in the office, casually mention, "Oh, as long as I'm here, can you take a look at...."
I hate to be devious, but I did what he suggested, and I got an appointment in three weeks - not the six months I had been told before.
Oh, and my uncle has alopecia. I remember when he first developed it...his hair fell out in large handfuls; he used to pull out big tufts to freak us kids out. And he lost his eyebrows, eyelashes, arm and leg hair, too. What you have does not sound like alopecia.

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134

Edited by - JessieMae on Apr 20 2009 11:53:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  12:24:45 PM  Show Profile
Kay if you google alopecia you will find a lot of info.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  1:50:11 PM  Show Profile
This doctor just irritates me. I asked her for a mole check and she sighed and asked me which ones I wanted looked at. I also asked her about a hole in my eyebrow (nope, never pierced) and a couple of big yellowish bumps under the other eye. She said nothing can be done about the hole and that the bumps were overgrown oil glands and I could try an aesthician (?). Well, one night the bigger of the bumps looked really weird so I poked at it and finally took a needley to it and gave it a good poke - all this yellow stuff that looked like toothpaste came out of it and there was quite a bit. Looks much better now.

She is a dermatologist. When I originally called for an appointment they could get me in in 4 days if I would come in at 3:30; however, my boss wants me to take morning appointments. I requested a morning appointment and it took me 6 weeks. I'm just so frustrated I cannot stand it. I thought going to the VA was bad, this ranks right up there with that.

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Hair Loss Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page