Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 weight loss buddies needed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic weight loss buddies needed Next Topic
Page: of 3

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  5:26:54 PM  Show Profile
Okay gals....i need your help. You see most women gain weight when they get pregnant with a baby. Me, well, i adopted our baby boy but still gained 20lbs! yikes!
I would love to lose it and would love it even more if any of you would join me on the journey.
anyone else want/need to lose weight?

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2009 :  6:23:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
*raises hand* Yup! We both (me and Doug) need to lose weight- like 50 lbs each. Yikes! We need to lose as much as I weighed total in High school! Ouch...

Anyway- We are starting "The Biggest Losers At the Reid Household" What we do is weigh in each week on a set Morning- We are going to start this tomorrow. Then who ever is the winner for the week gets to have an evening devoted completely to them. Massages, special meal, getting to pick out the movie, anything they want! And for us we are going to encourage each other to be loving towards each other in the woowoo department if you know what I mean! I figure this will be a great way to reinforce our relationship while getting healthy too!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  08:33:14 AM  Show Profile
I have about 65 baby lbs to loose ( my baby is 18 years old ), so I am on board with you.

A couple of weeks ago I saw Dr. Oz talking about small changes. I have incorporated a few his changes and few of my own. So far I have lost 5 lbs in a week and a half. And the best thing is I don't feel deprived.

1. Drink a quart of herbal infusion or homemade green tea a day. I do sweeten mine with a little bit of honey and I drink at least a few glasses of water too

2. Start the day with a serving of whole grain cereal or steel cut oats ( whole grain is VERY IMPORTANT because it tends to fill you up)
and a soy milk smoothie made with vanilla soy milk and frozen fruit.

3. A piece of artisian whole grain bread dipped in olive oil and balsimic vinegar for a snack

4. Lunch is either a salad with fruit and nuts. Whole grain pasta with veggies and a small piece of chicken. I am including a small serviing ( palm size) of protein in with veggies and grains for lunch

5. A piece of artisian whole grain bread dipped in olive oil and blasamic vinegar for afternoon snack along with a small slice of good cheese

6. Dinner is what ever we have planned but smaller portions. I make sure my plate is piled high with veggies or eat a large salad

7. Limit or eliminate the bad white stuff (flour & sugar)

The added bounus is I fill GREAT! I am not hungery and I am not dealing with my afternoon slump. Also the mini meals seem to keep the engine running. Like Alee I am using the reward method but mine is based on lbs lost. For every 10 lbs lost I will get a non food treat ( a hike by myself, a new shade of lipstick, a magazine, read a good book, go to the library, ect).

I can't wait to see how we do .

live well,
Tamara
www.thegoodearthfarm.com
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"

Edited by - corporatefarmgirl on Feb 25 2009 10:25:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  09:52:38 AM  Show Profile
Tamara...
sounds good...all things that I like to eat too
let's lift each other up:)

farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  10:20:19 AM  Show Profile
I'm in! I would love to lose enough weight to reach what the dr. says I should be...BUT I will shoot for 20lbs because I'm hoping to get off my diabetes and bp meds!
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  10:30:46 AM  Show Profile
Ok pizza was brought in for lunch fo us today at work . I could smell it every where. So I knew I was going to eat some. Here is what I did. I got a plain cheese piece, blotted off any oil that was on top and ate it with just my salad. That was all I ate one piece. Eaten very slowly so that I could taste the flavors. Know what happened. I didn't even finish the whole piece! It was too fatty tasting ....

Now I have a new small change. Take time to really taste your food by eating slowly - also you fill up with less food

live well,
Tamara
www.thegoodearthfarm.com
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  1:09:09 PM  Show Profile
I'm down to my last 10 lbs. that need to be lost but I hear that those last few pounds are the hardest to loose and I bet it will be a struggle. Since last June I have lost 19 pounds so that feels good, and so much lighter. I will need a little motivation to get rid of these last 10 though!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  4:26:56 PM  Show Profile
great idea about blotting off the oil!!!

farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  06:28:34 AM  Show Profile
I just ate a bowl of ice cream. Yes I need help, For lent instead of giving up something I decided to drink 64 oz of water. I don't like water but thats the recommended daily amout. and I will walk around the block at least 1x per day. I would love to lose 20 pounds and with your help I just might make it. I will polish off the ice cream now and not buy any more.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  07:18:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
LOL! I am so bad! Last night I sent Doug out to get Ice Cream LOL! I couldn't help it! Okay I could have of...but it sounded so good! Yum!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  10:12:48 AM  Show Profile
I am beginning to think that the key is to NOT deprive. So go ahead have a bowl of ice cream and throughly enjoy it. I just have to remember not to eat a large bowl (or 2)

I know if I hadn't eaten a small piece of pizza I would have craved that taste all day long and eaten tons of other stuff.

live well,
Tamara
www.thegoodearthfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  12:01:18 PM  Show Profile
I have to agree with corporatefarmgirl. I know if I want a piece of chocolate I better have it or I will eat all the home made banana nut bread and PB+J sandwich and more until I break down and eat a piece of chocolate. But I gained 9 lbs in a year and I want to lose 20 lbs so I will try. I do find that if I open a small bag of M+M's and put just one in my mouth it will fight off the urge to eat more junk. I am a sugarholic and need to change. I have walked around the block both days since and so far have successfully drank 4-16ozs of water. That is a lot of peeeeeeeing
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  12:05:58 PM  Show Profile
Moderation and drink plenty of water.. I NEED to do this... It is so hard to do.. I wish It was garden time I could live outside and never think food...

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  2:42:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That's a good point! I was completely satisified after having a moderate bowl of icecream. I would have probably served less- but hubby dished it up.

That is another problem. He serves WAY too much!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  08:41:37 AM  Show Profile
Drinking water is hard for me to do too! Actually I am really bad about not drinking much of anything.

In the mornings I now fill up one large 32 ounce container with a straw ( for some reason I drink more if I use a straw ?!?!. I drink at least that with my herbal infusion below (at least a quart a day)

A few weeks ago I started drinking herbal infusions. I fill a quart jar up a 1/4 of the way with either nettle ( LOTS of good minerals and calcium) or red clover (good for lymphatic system and lungs)with a large tablespoon of peppermint added to the red clover. I then pour in boiling water till the jar is filled. Let set on counter for 4 hours or up to 12. Sweeten with a little honey and drink. This is a great way to get fluids and benefit from the herbs.

live well,
Tamara
www.thegoodearthfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  10:23:01 AM  Show Profile
Tamara
What a great idea!!!

farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  10:32:49 AM  Show Profile
Thanks! There is one other tip that is working for me.

I HATE regular exercise. Because of my work hours and long commute I am setting for 12-14 hours a day. So I had to find a way to start moving, I call it Take 10. Today, I will take time 3 times throughout the day to do 10 standing pushups . Tomorrow it will be 10 sqats 3 to 4 times a day. The next day I will do 10 setups 3 x. I rotate out so that I am doing something every day.

I was amazed at how sore my muscles were the first week! Next week I will go up to 15.

Again it goes back to small changes working for me. I can't fit in 20 minute workouts or drink 100 oz of fluid right off the bat. I need to build into. Kind of like I gradually added the weight

live well,
Tamara
www.thegoodearthfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  10:38:16 AM  Show Profile
good point..baby steps for sure. i started walking with my baby 10 miutes a day. It's not a lot. We walk down our lane to the mailbox and back. that's 10 min (approx.) there's still A LOT of snow so pushing the stroller gives my arms a work out too!

farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  09:23:03 AM  Show Profile
One of the things I am trying to realize is to not go off the band wagon when the weight loss is not what you expect for a week. Just keep doing the right things and the weight will eventually come off.

I figure even at a pound a week I will lose 52 lbs in a year! That means it still comes off faster than it went on

live well,
Tamara
www.thegoodearthfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  09:29:43 AM  Show Profile
I'm with you gals. I need to loose a good 50lbs (once and for all). I keep saying it's baby weight but really my oldest is 17 and youngest 2 1/2, no more excuses! I've been watching what I've been eating and so far about 8lbs lighter.

We can do this.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  1:30:12 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I would like to get in on this with you all too. I would like to lose around 100# hopefully. That may be about 20-25# too much but I'll just take it as it goes. I'm down 9# so far woohoo. Like Tamara, I make a Nettle infusion. It is so so so good for you. I make a 2 1/2 qt jar full using about 2 1/2 cups of nettle and about 3 good pinches of dried stevia leaves for sweetening. I am going to try to grow nettle in my herb garden this spring. I am trying to follow a macrobiotic diet right now due to working on getting rid of a couple of health problems. That is just eating whole grains like brown rice (50-60%), veggies and seaweed 25-30%, beans 5-10%, fish/nuts/fruits/miso soup/seeds 5-20%, soup from these ingredients 1-2 cups per day. I don't follow it strictly, i'm eating vegetarian with no dairy. But my philosophy is if you really have a craving then have just a bit of it, stay within serving size and it will all be ok. :)

Blessings....
Sarah

www.mustangsuzie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  1:36:14 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
oh and I try to drink lots of water, preferable chlorine free

For exercise I am doing yoga and deep breathing right now. I injured my foot 4 weeks ago and am trying to get it better. The deep breathing you can do anywhere, it does wonders for your body to get in alot more oxygen. Just breathe in through your nose at a count of 4, hold your breath for a count of 7 and exhale through your mouth noisly( kinda of like blowing out a candle) for a count of 8. I got this from one of Dr. Weil's books, I'm a huge fan of his.

Blessings....
Sarah

Edited by - MustangSuzie on Feb 28 2009 1:39:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  06:50:13 AM  Show Profile
Sarah I am doing the breathing too! It really helps to reduce stress, which for me can mean eating!

This morning I had a small serving of our big Sunday morning breakfast. I will probably just have my soy milk fruit smoothie drink for my mid day meal. I do not want to say "What the heck" and loose the entire day. I feel better knowing that this one over indulgence is not a day long choice

live well,
Tamara
www.thegoodearthfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  07:45:49 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Tamara, I do the breathing to help relieve stress too. i've read many times how when we are stressed our bodies produce more cortisol which deposits fat around our middle. And that is exactly where I've gained the most. Never had that problem till the past couple of years, or maybe it's because the dreaded 4-0 is coming in a couple of months. lol
I can tell a big difference with my kids too now that I'm not so stressed. They inturn are more relaxed. woohoo

Blessings....
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  09:34:22 AM  Show Profile
OK girls, count me in. I have gained 9 pounds while thinking about the 20 that I need to lose. Ole Ron and I have been fighting the broncitis (sp). The only thing that keeps me from coughing is CANDY. I have to have something in my mouth all the time. As far as what to eat and what not to eat is simple. I didn't say easy, I said simple. We have for years, eaten from 7" plates (not 9"). We eat whole wheat, brown rice, tons of veggies. I have all the diet books. Dr Phil's is probably the best. I like Dr OZ and Bob Green too. I have the list of Super Foods memorized. So what am I doing wrong? I EAT AT NIGHT. I'll see what I can do about that. Will get back to you in the morning and give you the list of what I eat "after" 6:00 pm supper.
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  2:01:45 PM  Show Profile
I would love to join in on this! I NEED to lose about 20 pounds...and keep it off. I do not want to do one of the many weight loss programs in which you lose the weight fast and gain it all back as soon as you quit the program. I want to keep it off and be healthy!

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

http://farmgirlpleasures.blogspot.com/

http://aminiatureworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic weight loss buddies needed Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page