julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  09:21:54 AM  Show Profile
Ok, so yesterday at the memory quilt making day with Rene and Rebekka Mae, I told this story about a wild turkey 'encounter.' It was actually something I had written and sent to a number of friends and family via email. Rene and Rebekka encouraged me to post it here thinking you farmgirls would appreciate it. I've decided to just include the whole story. It is long but worth the read I think. hope you enjoy it! I thought it was delicious!!~julia

Tuesday morning (April 7, 2009) I was cruising on a back road headed for home having had my favorite shoes repaired and polished for the umpteenth time. Rianna and I were thoroughly enjoying the winding hilly wooded road that is just now starting to green with early signs of Spring. Suddenly I noticed something strange crossing the road in front of me and I slowed down and allowed a car to pass me. I realized that a flock of wild turkeys was coming out of the woods and crossing this 2 lane road that has a 55 mph speed limit. I pulled over so Rianna and I could gobble-gobble and watch them.

Wild turkeys are big in case you've never had the opportunity to see one. They remind me of a miniature emu with a shorter neck and uglier face. They are dark almost black with a tail that fans brown and white. They have red, white and blue markings on their neck that is clear to the naked eye even at some distance. To imagine their actual size while they're standing up, it seems to me that they're about the size of a big beach ball. The other thought that comes to mind for a good comparison is turkeys are to chickens what that one whopper size marble is to the rest of the other pee-wees in the pack. They're big.

So we're watching them and I'm enthralled because turkeys are really elusive. One hardly gets to see one let alone a flock basically in the middle of town. All of sudden I notice an SUV coming in the opposite direction. At this time several turkeys had already crossed the road and there are 3 or 4 left in the woods about to descend into the ditch and begin their cross. I sincerely doubt the driver of the SUV saw these turkeys and before he knew it one walked right in front of his vehicle. WHAM! My hands were on my face and I gasped and said, "OH NO!!" This turkey went flying in the air crossing the street and landed with a thud right in front of my car. It was twitching and bouncing around a little. My mind was racing. "Oh My God! What am I gonna do? What? What? What?" I was speechless. I got out of my car to take a look.

Now I know what some of you are thinking, "She didn't. She couldn't have. Did she?"

I'll spare you suspense. The moment I got out of the car and saw this beautiful dead turkey I thought, "Oh, the poor thing. Well, it looks like we're having turkey for dinner tonight!"

It was really weird. This was a first for me. I've eaten and prepared a few wild turkeys in my time, but I've never seen one killed by a car right in front of my eyes as if served to me on a roadside platter. So I started getting a little paranoid thinking, "Is it legal for me take this thing? Is anyone watching me do this?" I heard myself counter with, "No one is watching and no one is going to care. What are you going to do just leave this turkey here to rot? What a total waste!" So I picked him up a little to get a better look when I noticed a car had pulled over on the other side of the road. Instantly I thought, "Oh Rats, I'm so busted! I'm not supposed to be doing this. But hey I didn't hit it!" I'm starting to sweat a little but told myself that I had to keep my cool.

This young man walks up to me wide eyed. I say to him, "Did you see what happened to this poor turkey?" The guy says shyly, "yeah, that was me." Instantly I realized a couple of things. He was probably more worried about me busting him for having witnessed the whole thing than him worrying about me considering bringing it home for supper. The other thing I thought was, "How cool for this guy to take ownership of this accident." Really, there was no way he could have avoided hitting this bird. It was simply an unfortunate accident. I immediately felt great compassion for him and asked if he was alright and if his car was damaged in any way. He assured me that he was fine. We both looked at the bird and suddenly I felt myself getting a little possessive. You know, I wanted to take this thing home and eat it. I didn't want to give it up to this guy. But I thought fair is fair. He killed it, he ought to have first dibs so I asked him, "So, would like to take this home for dinner?" Now at this point, I realize I don't know what has horrified him more--him hitting and killing this turkey or me asking if he wants to eat it. He looks at me as if he's going to vomit and says, "Uh, no. I'm good." It is all I can do to keep myself from falling on the ground laughing.

Now it's worth mentioning here that I'm in full Julia costume. I'm wearing a black hand-made dress, raggedy shoes that I love and a black kerchief pulling back my hair, which I couldn't be bothered to wash this morning. I am quite a sight I'm sure for this young guy and suddenly I didn't know who to feel worse for; him or the turkey.

So unabashedly, I picked up this big beautiful bird and put him in the back of my car. It didn't escape my attention in the least that I laid him on one of my canvas shopping bags that has a slogan on it that reads, "Stamping out Jive A** Turkeys". I giggled the entire way home. Naturally I called Doc immediately to ask to him what to do. He was speechless for a moment and then helped me focus on the task at hand, namely gutting and plucking it. When I got home, I put the dogs inside so they wouldn't bother me and I retrieved a regular kitchen carving knife, my butchering apron, and a plastic kitchen garbage bag. When I butcher chickens I use a large hunting knife but that is kept in a locked safe that I couldn't be bothered to go and get. I thought the carving knife would be just fine. Rianna and I drove over to the barn where I could hook up a hose and start cleaning this bird.

It was a beautiful morning. It was warm in the sun with just a slight breeze. I forgot to mention that the turkey, despite being pummeled by a car, was in perfect condition. Doc warned me, however, of internal injuries and told me to prepare myself for a bloody mess. He also told me, "Honey, remember, you're gonna have to reach way up in there to get his heart so don't be nervous about that." I reassured him that I was fine. So I did what I normally do when I clean chickens and started scraping out guts. Now the first thing that caught my attention was that this poor turkey's heart was mixed in with his intestines. The impact had completely separated and shifted his heart. Other than that it was very straightforward. Plucking the bird was a little different because it had so much down, which I did not save and thought about the entire time. It was really easy to pluck though and the feathers came out like a charm. The turkey's skin was pristine and there was hardly any bruising. I was utterly amazed. It's left wing was dislocated obviously from the impact but nothing else seemed the matter.

Rianna was captivated and watched the entire process. At one point she did the most classic little kid thing. She had taken her shoes off and was running around in the feathers as if they were bubbles flying in the air. But then she noticed the turkey's head and face. She became very curious about him and started to approach him very slowly. She said, "die?" to which I replied, "yes, honey, he died." Then she bent her knees crouching a little and stared into his face. I saw her pointer finger on her right hand get ready for action and sure enough, poke, poke, poke went her finger in the turkey's eye, on its beak, on the top of its head, its neck and so forth. She loved it! I finished preparing this turkey and put him in the plastic bag so I could refrigerate it while I went to pick up Aria from preschool.

Later in the afternoon, I prepared the turkey for roasting just as I would any other bird and went along with my day. I was hanging laundry on a drying rack in our library when I heard this strange scratching sound coming from our chimney. I noticed then too some ash on the living room floor and knew that a bird had gotten stuck in the fire place. "What a bird kind of day!" I thought. I opened the wood burning insert that we have and never use and sure enough a little black starling was in there and flew out before I could grab it. It flew all over the house trying to escape, practically knocking itself unconscious by banging into every window we have. Finally it landed in the bathroom and I was able to corner it in the bathtub. I picked him up, gave him a look over and released him out the back door. What a day!

Doc came home to the delicious scent of roasting turkey. It really was a gorgeous bird. It was about 5 30 pm and I went to check on it thinking it had another 45 minutes to go when I notice my oven was off. My oven konked out on me sometime while this bird was cooking! I was so bummed. I checked the internal temperature of the bird and it only reached about 160, which isn't quite done so I started thinking, "Ah Man! Now what am I gonna do?" I couldn't throw it away and I didn't want to eat it. So I let it cool down a little and then I butchered it up and packed it into the refrigerator. The next morning I put it all in a crock pot and let it cook all day long. I let that cool and the following day, I put all the turkey, the broth, along with an enormous amount of vegetables into a huge stock pot and we had the most delicious and tender wild turkey stew!

I'm sitting here now trying to figure out how to end this story. Nothing like this has ever happened to me before and it is most definitely something I could never imagine and I have, as you know, a pretty active imagination. I suppose I feel compelled to state the obvious, which is that Life hurls some pretty wild things and you have to be pretty open to them. I suppose you don't have to be open but it sure makes life more interesting if you are. It's funny Doc said to me as we were cleaning the dishes from our turkey stew dinner something that Bilbo Baggins said in the movie, "The Lord of the Rings". He said something like, "Be careful going out your front door. You don't know where you might get swept off to." That's it exactly. The simple little things, the every day wonder that can take you on all different kinds of paths on this single journey called, 'your life.' ~j

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com

NudeFoodFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Heide
Benton City WA
433 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  09:46:53 AM  Show Profile
OY MY GOODNESS. I have been working so hard and I had to rest, sitting down I sheeplishly checked out what was happening on the forum (all work and no play for me today). AND here you are with one of the funniest stories I have read in a while! I am cryin cause I am so happy! WOW! Wild Turkey's; I would of translated that experience to mean you need to take a break and have a drink! But no not you, you magic farmgirl, you go in stride making tradition! How very cool. Thank you so much for sharing!
I found this rad site that talks about Wild Turkey totems. check it out!

http://www.sayahda.com/cyc5.html

Best,
h

Nude Food Farm
~Grown so good,
Dressing is Optional.
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  10:07:41 AM  Show Profile
How nice that you could have that turkey for dinner. We have so many turkeys around here I'm always surprised I don't see bodies littering the roads. A huge flock of turkeys like to visit my birdfeeders, they are so huge, the first time it happened I though it was a bunch of dogs. They were reintroduced here about twenty years ago and they are flourishing. I love to watch them in my back field , especially when they have the little band of babies tagging along behind..

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  10:15:07 AM  Show Profile
Julia,
Love it Love it!!
Thanks for some great entertainment on a very dreary and rainy day. You are a terrific storyteller and my sister and I have been chuckling all day. The funniest part is that 2 of my 3 children will be horrified if I tell them your story.
There have been 2 wild turkey stories on the local news in the past week.
One was a pregnant woman driving down the highway when one flew into her windshield and into the front seat of her car. There were feathers everywhere. She is not injured and insurance will cover her car; but she did say if the baby is a boy they may name him TOM
the second story is that postmen are being attacked by wild turkeys in a little community near here. Just postmen, no one else. A woman and her 3 year old child were sitting in the front yard watching the turkeys and the turkeys were watchin and ignoring them. As soon as the mailman walked up, they attacked him. This has happened repeatedly in this town and it seems the turkeys only go postal on the mailmen. Curious!!
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  2:42:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Julia- what a great experience. It's a good reminder that death can and is a part of life. From the death of the plant to the death of an animal. It is wonderful to know that bird had little to no suffering- it probably didn't even realize the truck was on it's way towards it. Talk about knowing where your food came from!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  07:43:36 AM  Show Profile
OH...MY...GOSH... JULIA!!! You just have me laughing in my chair here this morning. I can just picture that guy..."Uh...no...I'm good." HEE HEE!!! Talk about taking what life gives you and running with it!

That is TOO good!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  07:52:20 AM  Show Profile
You can surely tell a story. Thanks for sharing your experience! I could just see you and everything you described. Yes, it sounds like you had a bird kind of day. Farmgirls can make do, a tragedy for the poor turkey but a happy ending for you and your family.

(((Hugs)))

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

Sunny
True Blue Farmgirl

120 Posts

120 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  08:54:48 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Everyone! Julia, I can't believe I found your funny story on the first day I've checked the forum in ages! Thanks so much for the laughs!

Hugs and love,

~Sunny

Farmgirl Sister #4
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  09:40:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sunny!! Oh my word! It's wonderful to see your name pop up on the screen! How ARE you?!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sunny
True Blue Farmgirl

120 Posts

120 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  09:48:39 AM  Show Profile
Doing well, and thanks for asking! Sending lots of good wishes to all the Farmgirl Sisters!

Happy spring!

~Sunny

Farmgirl Sister #4
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  12:23:11 PM  Show Profile
When life gives you turkey...

Good story...love the "hit man's" response! Cracked me up.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  12:56:04 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Ok.. I laughed so hard that I had tears running down my face and I even snorted ( ok that might be too much information), but truly as fabulous of a writer Julia is, there is NOTHING like watching her expressions as she was telling this. I would love to be a "bee" flying around everywhere that driver has gone, as you just know, he has told that to so many "un-believing" listeners.....

I swear if you go to the Paydirt classes for no other reason then to hook up with other farmgirls and hear their stories it is time well spent.......

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  12:57:12 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hey Sunny Girl...... HOW ARE U? long time no hear.... I understand you have stories to tell too......?

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  1:17:13 PM  Show Profile
Julia, might want to name that recipe Roadkill Turkey Surprise.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  1:19:21 PM  Show Profile
LMAO Great story! I was picturing you as Granny from the Beverly Hillbillies (well the re-made one) where she is standing gaurd over her road kill with a pitchfork, when you said you were feeling possesive of the turkey! I'm glad you all had a tasty turkey stew!

I drove through some one day, it was a foggy morning and I couldn't stop.. but I had one hit my windshield.. scared the crap outta me! Didn't break anything tho, thank goodness.

Thank you for the giggle :)
Elise

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://ranchmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  09:38:32 AM  Show Profile
Tee hee hee hee!!
I thought you gals might appreciate this story! I have to tell you...about 10 years ago this is definitely NOT something I would have done. This farm living really does change a person. I'm not the person I was when I lived in Seattle. No Ma'am. This life has been completely liberating for me...

Libbie, I was totally cracking up with your response. I swear, I was picturing us wading in a plastic kiddie pool slammin' back some fruity drinks once again! Hilarious!!! You are so right on with the poor guy...Really, he was so horrified..on multiple levels!!! I feel for him and I raise my glass to him as well!

3 cheers!! ~julia

Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  10:24:18 AM  Show Profile
Julia~this story is too funny. I can hardly believe that all that happened to you in one day. You are a brave woman to take it all on and face it with a smile. I can just see you at work with that bird. LOL~an amazing farmgirl!!!!!

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  1:00:28 PM  Show Profile
Hey Ruth, you know what makes me laugh? The fact that I didn't 'over-think' this one...That's the thing...Whenever, I over-think something I invariably screw it up! It always happens with anything I cook or sew for example..if I think about it too much, or monkey with it too much, I make a mess of things. This bird deal was boom-boom-boom just get it taken care of...never gave it much thought at all! AMAZING! For me that's the lesson in it...don't over-think it! ~julia

Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  1:29:47 PM  Show Profile
Well, that fits in with your simple adage, Julia. Makes sense to me!
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  1:42:27 PM  Show Profile
OMG~Julia~I am the same way. Every time I over-think things they turn out a disaster. When I go with the flow it's so much better. So so funny~definitely a lesson for me to learn.

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  1:59:04 PM  Show Profile
Great Story!!

I almost hit a Very Large Bird one mid-morning, when I was driving away from my sons high school down in S. C. -- But this very large bird happened to be a Bald Eagle..

The school was surrounded by acres of old farmland and scrub pines, mostly swamp. The roadway was always a mess with mud, and lots of the boys would drive their 4-wheelers off road just to throw mud around the front of the high school. This particular morning, I'd pulled out of the parking lot, and noticed a bunch of crows were suddenly chasing in flight, another larger bird. That larger bird suddenly swooped lower in it's flight, directly over the roadway..and in front of my little geo metro...

All I could think was, oh noo..not a dumb..Holy Mackeral!! -- when I realized it was a Bald Eagle, (!!) I swerved off to the right hand side of the road to avoid clobbering the thing, and at the same time, the eagle swooped itself back up, and out of the way of my little car...

The crows were still in hot persuit (sp) of that eagle, I noticed in my rear view mirror, and I went on my shaking-hands-and-wobbly-knees way.

All I could think, was, oh lawdy, that would've been a Huge Fine if I'd hit that thing...And I looked again in my rear view mirror to make sure the eagle and it's "friends" were off and away.

Sometimes living in the country has it's somewhat odd moments!!

Laurianne
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic A bird kind of day! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page