kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  05:51:39 AM  Show Profile
I just went out to check on Faith, who looked like she was going to kid yesterday, and she just got done having 2 cute little bucklings about 7:30 am. One is white like the daddy and the other is just exactly like her. All black with the tan stripes on his head and a little on his legs and belly. They both have gopher ears, too! So cute! But boys. Oh well.

So here we go. Last year we had 5 bucks and only 3 does. I was hoping to have more girls this year. The others are still up front showing no signs of having theirs yet. This is day 153 so we could still have a ways to go.

This is just too exiting! I love kidding time on the farm. When my daughter Abby gets home tonight I will get her to put pictures on photobucket for me so ya'll can see the little cuties.

I know I saw on someone's blog where they were naming their kids after characters on Lonesome Dove. I had been thinking about doing that, too. So I hope you don't think I'm a copy cat namer but these 2 are just asking to be called Gus and Woodrow. That's my hubby's favorite movie ever and we will probably keep these guys. I want to train them how to pull a cart and they look like they'll be able to.

So here we go!!!! (And her udder is HUGE!)

Kris

Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on May 14 2009 05:50:26 AM

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  07:43:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kris- are you going to be milking her?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  07:45:45 AM  Show Profile
Kris! wonderful! just got your letter yesterday saying you had all those goats having babies!
don't forget to post pics :) we love to see babies!
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

idsweetie72
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Sandra
New Meadows idaho
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  07:48:53 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations!

Mazy Day Farm
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  07:51:46 AM  Show Profile
Oh yeah. She is full blooded Lamancha. She is one of my best milkers. Her udder right now is as big as a basketball with teats coming out of it. I also have her 2 daughters who are expecting any day. Last year Holly Berry had twins her first freshening. Her sister, Sadie Mae Belle, miscarried one last year. This year she is doing good and very big. Nice compact udder, too. They both have very small teats, though. Hard to milk those, but lots of milk.

Sandy, my Nubian cross, is ready to go next, I believe. Her tail ligaments are looking good to go. She will stay right with everyone right up to the last minute. She hates being alone. She's so funny. Looks like she will only have one again. LAst year she had the prettiest baby girl. And that is what I named her, Pretty Baby.

I just milked her for the colostrum just in case I have to pull a few. But Faith has plenty and the boys are already napping from a full tummy. I can't wait to start milking.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  09:50:32 AM  Show Profile
Oh Happy day Kris!!!

I thought I was DONE with kidding, but apparently two girls are holding out on me. One looks absolutely HUGE and miserable! She was laying down a lot yesterday and kept to herself, so I guess it's getting very close. Hard to tell with the other doe. She's ALWAYS a big chub, so I can't tell how far along she is. Guess the blessed event will happen when it happens!

I noticed something interesting with the goats this season and I'm wondering if you, or anyone else, has expericenced the same thing.... I have some "Family groups"-- mother and daughters and granddaughters -- it seemed when one female in the FAMILY group was getting near her kidding time, her mother, aunts, grandma etc... would rally 'round her and keep all the other goats away from her. Almost like they were sheltering her from "Prying eyes" and "nosey noses!" I noticed this behavior with ANOTHER "family group" as well -- though that "group" was just a mother and daughter, but the same thing occured. Anyone ELSE notice anything like that in their herd? Animals are such amazing creatures....

Again, Congrats to you on your new Little "Cowboys!!!" (LOL!!! I LOVE that movie too!!!) I tend to name my critters the same way! In fact, I have three sisters (goat kids) named after Audrey Hepburn characters --- "Holly Golightly," "Sabrina Fairchild," and "Eliza Doolittle"-- unfortunately, little 2wk old Eliza passed away recently-- broke my heart. It was a preventable accident, but one of those things seen only in Hindsight. "Shoulda... coulda... if only I'd...." that sort of thing. Holly was her best friend-- Sabrina tends to play more with the younger does-- sisters-- "Paloma Picasso" and "Pigeon Plumtree." She'll be sorely missed... sigh......

Hugs to you and your new babies ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  10:19:10 AM  Show Profile
I love your goat names. I am trying to think of new names. I've come up with a few so far. I like Eliza. I tend to put Belle at the end so I thought Adabelle was pretty.

I just have the mother and 2 daughters so far that are related. Faith, the mom, is alot nicer to her girls and will share with them and no one else. But when it's time for kidding, she goes off by herself. Yesterday when I let them all out to go up front, she stayed put. I tried to get her to go but she stayed. So I knew the time was near.

Now the first year Sandy and Ocho Belle kidded they both helped each other out. I also pulled all the babies that year. So Ocho kidded first and when Sandy kidded she tried to steal one. It was even nursing on her. They are just best friends, though.

I did have ewes that were mother and daughter. When the daughter lambed the mother helped lick them off. It was so sweet.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  11:43:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kristin- that's great! I am very jealous of fresh goats milk right now! I really miss it!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  6:10:29 PM  Show Profile
I don't mind when the goat girls "Steal" babies (as long as I know who the REAL mom is)-- it means I don't have to bottle feed!

I have one young doe (1st time mom) that had triplets, but the tiniest one didn't make it. Another doe (2nd timer) kidded with quads. The younger mom took to the tiniest of the quads and nurses him like her own.

He is so FUNNY! He's STILL itty-bitty, the MUCH YOUNGER kids are already passing him up in size, and he fits in better with the OTHER does kids anyway -- they are all black and white, he's solid black. His mom is a buckskin and his three brothers are all some shade of red. He's the odd colored man out in his "Birth" family, but he's doing very well-- as he SHOULD be-- with TWO MOMS!!

My ewes are not so accepting of another ewes lambs. I usually have to bottle feed whoever is "voted out" of the family..... even if it's the ONLY lamb!!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2009 :  10:35:01 AM  Show Profile
Congrat's Kris

I just love LaMancha's I had one named Mia and she was a sweet mother and gave milk by the buckets. I miss having a milking herd. give the little one's hugs and kisses from me.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2009 :  10:53:38 AM  Show Profile
Congrats!!!! Yes please post pics.

Christina

Work like you don't have to, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody is watching :)
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2009 :  5:33:15 PM  Show Profile
I went out this morning to feed everyone and Sandy was in the stall. I could see something moving in there and thought maybe it was a chicken. But she didn't come out. So I figured she had her babies. And she did. And guess what they are? Bet you'll never guess. So I'll just tell ya. Boys! 2 more boys. Sandy is Nubian so they have elf ears, poor things. But they are too cute. She is red so one of them is a light red and the other I have never seen anything like him. He's a gray color with light red legs. He's very interesting. My granddaughter named them Mario and Louigi. Can ya guess what she likes to do?

My DD tried to get pics on here but couldn't. So they are on photobucket under outbackfarm. They are of the 2 born yesterday. I will get Sandy's on later.

I am getting my friend's Lamancha doe in the morning. She doesn't have time to milk her. She has twins that are 7 weeks old and sold. They were supposed to go today. So I am going to have 7 goats to milk. Anyone need milk??? I need to get another couple of calves now. But I do have several customers. And hopefully will get a few more now. I am so exited to start milking again!

Kris

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2009 :  6:25:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kristin- congrats on the healthy deliveries! Too bad you aren't getting any girls! *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  9:18:40 PM  Show Profile
As for "strange" looking kids-- I have one doe that came from a black and white spotted mother and a Red father--- SHE is white with black spots, but her LEGS (and her BUTT) are red! She looks like a lab experiment gone bad-- two goats put together to make a wierd color combo. It's always interesting to see what the kids are going to look like isn't it?

I sure wish you lived closer, you could teach me to milk MY goats, (I'm one of those kind you can TELL how to do something all you want, but I have to SEE it and DO it myself for it to actually sink in!) I would certainly buy some goat milk from you to feed my Poor little Jersey bull. He's not likin' the nasty milk replacer too well.....and it shows...sigh..... -- hopefully he'll start looking better once I get him eating solid food.

Congrats on your new babies--- And have fun with the MILKING! ~~~Hugs~~~ Tracy

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  03:13:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Tracy- Milking goats is much easier than milking cows in my opinion! Here is a 4-H video that might help you get the right idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XWSvWqT0DE

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  03:54:45 AM  Show Profile
Tracy, when I got my 2 calves as hours old newborns I gave them cow colostrum the first day then the next day all they got was goat milk. They never got sick, never had scours. They are almost 10 months old now and well over 650 ponnds just on grass and a little hay. At one point I did buy a bag of replacer just because they were getting practically ALL the goat milk. But I could never bring myself to give it to them. And I always seemed to have enough. So I took it back.

When I first got into milking I was seriously thinking about getting a Jersey cow from the dairy up the road that was selling out. But the more I thought about it the more I talked myself out of it. They are so big and have so much poop. My friend has 2 that she milks twicw a day and it takes her a good 2 hours each time from start to bottling and cleaning the milk machine and claenaing out the milk room. So I got goats. Thay are so much easier and cleaner. They never poop on the milk stand. It takes half the time or less to milk 5 goats. And when they step on my feet I hardly notice. And they are so easy to milk.

My first goat to kid the other day will just stand while I milk her and I have had to already because sha's huge. But Sandy, the Nubian, has to be taken to the stanchion. She will not be still. And my new goat I got yesterday was great. She jumped right up and started eating and I got almost a quart of milk. Her teats are a mess. All scratched up. I had to shave her then put udder balm on them. But she stood still for all that. Plus had to trim her feet.

Anyway, I hope you just try to milk. Pick the friendliest doe and just start putting her up on a stand and only feed her there. Brush her and touch her all over to get her used to all that. Then the best way to milk is up against a wall with your head in her stomach so she can't move. Don't stop. If you do she will know she's won. You have to win here. You can train a goat or she will train you. Then after a few times she'll get the routine down and it's smooth sailing. Goats are creatures of habit. You have to milk the same time every day. Just try it. You'll like it!

Alee, when I get high-speed I will watch the video. Sounds interesting. I am the type that has to see things done, too. I am not the book learner type at all.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  05:37:01 AM  Show Profile
So I went out to feed and there is Ocho not coming to eat. So I knew she just kidded. I went to look and sure enuf there are 2 little cuties in the stall. Both really light colored. So I looked closer and the littlest white one is a girl!!! I thought at first they were both girls but then the other one peeed. And it's a boy. But Ocho has always had boys. And she had huge udders. Good milker. So hopefully this one will be, too. I had to milk her already because again they are just on one side. That happened last year with her. I got a half gallon just on the one side. I am freezing all this just in case I need it later. I do have one doe that is a light positine for CAE and if she has a girl I will pull her and bottle feed.

I am a happy farmgirl today. I got a girl out of a great milker. So we're 1 girl and 5 bucklings so far in 5 days from just 3 does. 3 more to go!

Kris

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  06:12:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Congrats Kristin!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  06:17:22 AM  Show Profile
Congrats...now some pictures, please :) I love little "kidlings" (my word for them when I was little)...and it's grey here. That would make my day!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  08:10:02 AM  Show Profile
I will one day. Have you tried looking on my photobucket at "outbackfarm" yet? I'd like to know if anyone has to see if it's working. I just went out there and took tons of pictures. Russell Crowe was out there checking the new boys out. And a hen pooped on the new buckling. Yuck. I just wish the other 3 would hurry up and have theirs soon so we can get this all over with.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  08:12:22 AM  Show Profile
I will do, Kristin...do you have a link, or should I just go to photobucket and type "outbackfarm" ? Poor little buckling--maybe it was the hens initiation rites!!! At least they're being born healthy--can't ask for much more :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  08:16:24 AM  Show Profile
I just went there and I don't know if you can just put in outbackfarm in the search spot or if you have to have my password. The first 2 pics are the 2 bucklings born first. It was taking forever to get the others put in. I will work on the others later.

If you need the password let me know, ok?

Kris

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Apr 20 2009 08:16:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  09:52:15 AM  Show Profile
Contratulations on the little GIRL Kris! Isn't that exciting?! After so many boys, when the girls started coming I was SOOOO excited!!! When my doe, Mimi, had TRIPLET girls I was OVERJOYED!! I still have 2 does to kid.... the wait is EXCRUTIATING isn't it?

Thank you so much for the tips on milking. I DO have a milk stand that my Husband made me last summer, but.... I can't get it moved from where it is. For some reason, there is a 10ft (or longer) gate leaning on top of it. On top of the gate, is the top to my husbands truck bed!! AND on the END of that really LOOOOONG gate there is a CAR parked on it!!!! Sheesh..... I guess you could say I STILL don't have a milk stand..... sigh.... But, where there's a WILL, There's a WAY! I'll figure it out.

Alee-- I wish I COULD see the video you suggested, but my computer takes FOREVER to show anything like that. It took me 45mins to play just bits and pieces of the Susan Boyle you-tube video. Really a bummer, but I will see if I can watch it on a Library computer.

Thanks Ladies. The advice is ALWAYS priceless!!!! Hugs~~~ Tracy

Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  6:06:12 PM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
Congratulations on the new kids! Are your goats LaManchas?

Belle

http://www.homesteaderbelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  7:12:06 PM  Show Profile
Hey Belle. I have 5 Lamanchas and a Nubian. I really like them. And I have my friends Lamancha doe that I am borrowing to milk, too. I started milking her yesterday and already have lots of milk!

Kris

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  7:58:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Tracy- No problem! Hopefully the library computers will play it. They should.

I think milking is one of those things that feels really intimidating until you do it. But your hands will never be stronger! Lots of small reptitive movements!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Goat babies! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: