kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  07:29:47 AM  Show Profile
I went out again this morning to feed the goats out back and Abby was starting labor. The first doe so far that I have seen give birth. 2 more bucklings. Very cute little guys. One looks a little like her and the other is an off white with one black spot right on top of his head.

They are dropping kids like hot potatoes around here the last few days! 2 more to go then we are finished. This is a lot of work. But I like it.

Alee, I know about the hands. Mine really hurt for a few weeks til they get broke back in. I can't imagine hand milking a cow.

Kris

Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  08:03:23 AM  Show Profile
Hey Kris...I couldn't see the pics. I even searched "bucklings"...there were quite a few little babes but I didn't know which ones were yours! Lots of folks use photobucket to post their pics :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  09:09:30 AM  Show Profile
We are supposed to be getting all the fiber optics and everyting hooked up out here for high speed through out phone company. It may already be here now. I am going to call today. My DD said she could put pics on when we get hooked up with it.

Then I will have tons of pics to share. I love showing off my critters. Thanks for trying anyway.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  12:50:45 PM  Show Profile
Ok, I've had enuf already with the boys! I have never had this many boy goats. But they are so darn cute. So I really can't complain. And they are all healthy. Sadie Mae just had her first kids about an hour ago. Both white bucklings. So that's 9 bucklings and one little doeling. I have 1 left to go and she's my last hope. If she happens to have a girl or two I already have names picked out for them. Kris' Last Hope and Holly's Miracle.

Ya'll wish us luck.

Kris and the goat boys

Kris

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  12:52:01 PM  Show Profile
Goooooo Girls!!!! Yaaaaaaaay Girls!!! Just thought I'd throw in a little cheer for good luck ;)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  1:01:25 PM  Show Profile
Oh goodness Kristin you are getting a whole baseball team of bucklings. I'm hoping you get a couple of girls . And I too am begging for pictures...

karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  4:41:55 PM  Show Profile
Coooome ooon GIRLS! MAMA NEEDS A NEW PAIR OF MILKERS!!! (Or even TRIPLET girls would be nice huh? LOL!!!)

Love the names too. Very fitting! Keeping my fingers crossed and saying a prayer.... Hugs~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  5:00:54 PM  Show Profile
Thanks you guys. Nothing happening yet. Holly is huge. She might just have triplets. I am not going to get my hopes up though. But something's gotta give, right? I will not ever use that buck again. I will have to do alot of research in the Fall when it's time to breed again and get a buck that has had more does. I really don't understand all the genetics and things like that. But I guess it does matter if I want more girls. And there's just more money in does. And I need to make some money in this business. It's just amazing all the bucklings they have had. Just weird. And these are his first offspring so far.

I am crossing my fingers and toes for at least one more girl. It could still happen. Holly had twins last year with one doe. So it's possible.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  5:35:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kristin- I know with horses some people believe a splash of Apple Cider Vinegar helps change the body chemestry just enough to be more hospitable to the female babies. I am not sure if that is okay for goats or not so you might want to check before trying it! Oh and you are supposed to start it like 2 weeks before breeding and carry on for like 2 weeks after breeding.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  8:14:23 PM  Show Profile
I put Apple Cider Vinegar in my sheep/goat water and it's NEVER caused any harm. (though I don't use it ALL the time) Not so sure how influential it is on the sex of the offspring, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a try next season and see what happens.

It certainly won't hurt them and, Like Diotomatious Earth, it adds enzymes and minerals to their diet (if you buy the unfiltered kind at the health food store). It also acts as a mild astringent (like citrus fruit), among other properties. I use it to clean wounds too! Helps to keep infections at bay.

As for the sex of offspring-- I think the FEMALES may have just as much influence in determining that as the males. I have one ewe, Peaches, that gave me six lambs before she was retired from breeding-- FIVE of which were boys. My other two does were more prone to giving birth to females.

Peachy's only daughter has only ever given me females, but in this case I think my ram has a strong influence. He seems to produce I very high % of females-- and MOST of them are BLACK! (in the Babydoll breed, THAT'S where the M-O-N-E-Y is!!!!) Too bad I don't sell my Black ewe lambs! (At least not yet anyway)

Keeping all my fingers, AND MY TOES!, crossed for Girls Kris!! Girls! Girls! Girls! Pleeeeeeaaaasssee!!!! Dear Father in Heaven-- let them be GIRLS!!!!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  05:23:30 AM  Show Profile
I do give my does ACV for worm prevention at least once a month. So if it does help it went the wrong way! I just won't use this buck again here. I will be curious as to what he does next year for the girl who bought him.

And so far Holly Berry is holding out as long as she can. I do not see how she is still standing. In fact, she goes in the barn and rests every little bit. She is breathing pretty heavy, too. Poor girl. She is huge. And her udder has been full for months now. So hopefully by the weekend something will happen here. It has to.

It's pretty quiet here except for the new very LOUD goat. For a Lamancha she is rediculously noisy. They are a pretty quiet breed compared to Nubians, but I'd put her in the same catagory with them. She's giving about a half gallon a day so far. Not too bad for a second time around. And she was dried up way too early last year. And this morning I didn't have to chase her down. She was at the gate waiting! And she's not trying to climb up the stanchion like she did at first. It was quite funny really. But I did not back down and let her win. I held on.

Thanks for the prayers and good wishes, ya'll.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  05:51:52 AM  Show Profile
Well, I finally got another little girl!! Holly had triplets this morning! When I went out to milk I saw up the little hill with what I thought were her mother Faith's kids. There was a black one and a few more with her. She came towards me and I could tell she'd had hers. And she did. 2 boys and a girl. The 2 boys look exactly like Woodrow and Gus. Exactly. And the girl, who is Holly's Miracle, is an off white, tan color with a white band around her middle with white feet. She will be called Mirabelle. Holly's udder looks like a cow's, she's that big. I guess to feed triplets. They all look good and healthy, too. About the same size as the rest of the gang.

So we are finished with kidding! 11 bucklings and 2 little doelings. Out of just 6 does. So that makes 20 goats here at the Outback Farm. Anyone need goat babies???

Kris

Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  3:39:21 PM  Show Profile
Awww I am so happy for you! Finally another girl...LOL. Congrats!

Christina

Work like you don't have to, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody is watching :)
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  6:09:30 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Christina. Now the only problem is I can hardly tell most of them apart. Too many white and beige colored kids. Until they go to their mommas then I know. I put a little red collar with a bell on Adabelle today. And I'm constantly counting kids. I still have Holly in the stall with her 3. When she comes out with hers I will for sure not be able to tell them all apart. Oh well, hopefully they will all sell fast.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  9:51:00 PM  Show Profile
Maybe you could get some of those plastic marker bands they use for cows-- the kind that go around their ankles. (maybe they'll fit around their necks...?), or even some of those plastic break-away chains in different colors. I think they come in different sized "Links" too. I have the same problem with four of my girls (I already mentioned that here somewhere), so I've been trying to figure out the "Who are YOU?" game too.

Today one of my last does kidded too! (one to go!) I came home from town around 4:00pm today and went out to feed everyone and I saw a VERY busy Jewel in the corner. I also saw a pair of little legs on the other side of her and knew she'd had her babies. I was SOOOO excited! Especially when I got a good look at them. They are absolutely GORGEOUS!!! The little girl is a Silver buckskin (mom is a Gold one), but it was her brother who took my breath away... a chocolate and black buckskin with a white star on his head and white tipped tail.

His colors are so pure-- no white hairs at all. They were both still damp when I picked them up. Very healthy and strong. Their big half-brother, "Peanut Butter" (same Mom) is one of my breeding bucks. I think the new boy is DEFINITELY going to follow in big brothers footsteps-- though in SOMEONE ELSE'S herd. He's related to too many of my does. Bummer. He's such a PRETTY little guy.

Anyway, Congrats on your new Kids Kris! Now you can FINALLY sleep at night! No more worries, like we shepherds are so prone to!!! Hugs to you and the little ones~~~ Tracy

Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  10:47:34 PM  Show Profile
Kris, Congratulations!! You have done much better than we have this year, we've had 3 single births(all bucks) and yesterday we had twins(one of each). We, too, are going to be choosier about picking a buck next year as we are used to getting twins, or triplets.

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  12:42:03 PM  Show Profile
I just sold 2 bucklings and a doeling! Yee Haw!!! Just 8 more to go. Anyone need a goat or two? She won't take them till they're weaned.

I need advice about castrating and tetanus shots. Also about dehorning if they will be butchered. They are all less than 2 weeks and I am not really sure when is the best time to castrate? Help! I did it once and do not want to again. I just about killed the poor boy and ended up at the vet anyway. It was awful.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  5:21:08 PM  Show Profile
LOL That is too funny. I couldn't imagine having to keep up with all those kids. Do you tag their ears like cattle? It sounds like you are busy busy. Have fun but don't forget about you. Stay rested.
HUGS
quote:
Originally posted by kristin sherrill

Thanks, Christina. Now the only problem is I can hardly tell most of them apart. Too many white and beige colored kids. Until they go to their mommas then I know. I put a little red collar with a bell on Adabelle today. And I'm constantly counting kids. I still have Holly in the stall with her 3. When she comes out with hers I will for sure not be able to tell them all apart. Oh well, hopefully they will all sell fast.

Kris

Christina

Work like you don't have to, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody is watching :)
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  5:24:17 PM  Show Profile
Oh man I have no idea. I would like to know as well though.

Christina

Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  6:51:39 PM  Show Profile
My husband takes care of all that castrating stuff!!! We use the rubber band method and we got our equipment from Hoeggers Goat Supply. We give tetanus shots at 3 days...right before we disbud our baby goats. You should be able to find the meds and syringes at your local tractor supply. We also got our disbudding machine from Hoeggers and my hubby does that job as well!!!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  7:19:42 PM  Show Profile
I just talked to my friend who does the disbudding for me. She is going to castrate and she just cuts. One guick small cut is all it takes and she pulls the testicles (?) out. She's never had a problem doing it this way. I figure with this heat and flies it will be better than banding which so uncomfortable and takes so long to fall of and there is more chance of infection. So I think I'll go that way this time. I will give them shots when they are 2 weeks then when they are about 3-4 weeks we will start the castration and disbudding.

I just remember banding my bull and how long it took for them to finally fall off after becoming infected and having to give him antibiotics and keeping them sprayed. I'd just rather get it done quick and be done with it. Poor guys.

I have all the syringes and the CDT meds. I'm all set. Just need help now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  8:11:08 PM  Show Profile
Oh Kris! If I lived closer I'd be there in a HEARTBEAT to lend a hand! I know how HAAARRRDD it is to try and do all that by yourself. It's nearly impossible in fact, but a true blue shepherd girl is VERY inventive and usually overcomes the IMPOSSIBLE.

Hope things work out for the best and you find the kids GOOD homes! That's the wish for my own as well. Hugs! ~~~ Tracy

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  05:57:47 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Tracy. I wish I could disbud, but it just breaks my heart to hear the poor little guys. They're ok after a few minutes but it still hurts. I do have an iron and I might get her to let me do one just to see if I can.

She is going to come here this time since I have so many.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 14 2009 :  05:57:31 AM  Show Profile
I just gave all the kids CDT shots. I didn't want to but thought I'd better since they will all be disbudded and most of them will be castrated, too. My friend will come next week to do most of them. I already had to do one of the bucklings last week because he had scours. So I gave him the shot and some Kaopectate, too. He's good now. But just to be on the safe side, I decided to go ahead and do this.

My oldest DD, Heather, helped me. She is NOT an animal person at all. Never really has been. So for her to go out in the goat yard and actually hold a goat kid was a miracle! The first one she almost dropped and she didn't want to do any more but I was not going to let her quit on me. So she bucked up and did it. I was very proud of her. One of the bucklings got loose and we both said the same bad word at the same time. Oppss! That was funny. But she done good and we did it. Now I hope they are all going to be ok. I really hate giving shots. But it's gotta be done and a vet would be a fortune.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - May 14 2009 :  07:31:14 AM  Show Profile
Kris,
What is scours?