Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Gardening:What have you planted? Next Topic
Page: of 2

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  12:44:26 PM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
Have you all started planting yet? I have started planting indoors. It is too wet here to plant outdoors.

What are you all putting in your garden this year?

I have planted Rudker tomatoes, Oregano, Parsley, and Chamomile.You can come to my blog to see pictures of my plants. Here is the link - http://homesteaderbellesblog.blogspot.com/2009/04/this-years-garden-so-far.html.

The dog dug in my chamomile planter.....that was sad.

Belle

http://www.homesteaderbelle.blogspot.com/

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  2:30:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi Belle, Bellepepper here. So strange to see another Belle isn't it?

I have planted potatoes, onions, lettuce, scallions, peas, radishes, French fillet beans, and a bunch of herb seed. Have set out parsley plants, Rosemary, thyme, 5 varities of hot peppers and cherry tomatoes. Still have to plant or set out, tomatoes, greenbeans, okra, bellpeppers, corn and what ever else I have room for. I set out 12 blueberry plants, 9 raspberries and 6 black berry plants. My garlic is doing great, planted it last fall and my asparagas is trying to come up but keeps getting frosted or snowed on. Maybe we are done with the freezing weather.

I am in the process of bringing up hay from the barn (way down there) to put around my new berry patch. Too muddy to get down there with the truck so bringing up a bale at a time in my garden cart. I always do things the hard way. But didn't want to wait for my turn at the 4 wheel dr. It is up at our son's farm. Going to go look at your blogspot now. See ya!
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  5:37:34 PM  Show Profile
On Easter I planted spinach, broccoli, onions, snow peas and lettuces directly in the garden. Started seeds indoors for peppers, tomatoes, squash and cukes, all varieties. On Mother's Day I will plant potatoes and corn in the garden and flower seeds outdoors.

Haven't thought about the herbs yet...need to see what made it through the winter and what needs to be replanted.

It feels good to play in the dirt again!

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  6:16:38 PM  Show Profile
We had a wonderful sunny day yesterday and I planted radishes, onions, carrots, lettuce, and broccoli raab.

I also got a sunburn:)

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

"Nobody has ever measured, not even poets how much the heart can hold."
Zelda Fitzgerald
Go to Top of Page

RuralSuburbia
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Leslie
Northern CA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  6:50:11 PM  Show Profile
Today I planted lettuce, strawberries, cucumbers and a watermelon.
Not only did I get a sunburn, but my freckles multiplied!

*I've got stars in my eyes and exactly $1 in my pocket!*
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  7:01:33 PM  Show Profile
Today I planted my potatoes, 4 varieties plus a couple sprouty ones from the grocery store. Since starting last week I have planted strawberries, broccoli, peas, onions, lettuce, beets, parsley, carrots, radishes, and marigolds. I can't wait until it is warm enough to get my tomato and pepper plants!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  8:14:17 PM  Show Profile
I have a variety of tomatoes and peppers, corn, squash, zucchini, cucumbers, lettuce, peas, basiil, oregano, parsley, cilantro, thyme, sage, lemon balm, dill and marjoram. We have also planted pumpkins, cantelope and 5 new fruit trees. You can see my garden on my blog

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  8:24:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I haven't started planting yet. It has been way too cold here. I am hoping Spring hurries up and makes up it's mind to stay! I am sick of surprise snow storms!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  9:33:27 PM  Show Profile
I built a salad table and put it outside today with several varieties of lettuce and spinach. This is my first time ever growing vegetables so I can't wait to see the results!
Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  10:21:10 PM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Bellepepper

Hi Belle, Bellepepper here. So strange to see another Belle isn't it?

Yes, it is strange to see another Belle.

Wow Bellepepper, your garden is going to be huge!

Belle

Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  10:28:08 PM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
All of your gardens sounds wonderful and big!

I wish you all the best of luck with your gardens this year!

Belle

Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  05:31:26 AM  Show Profile
How funny! I never noticed we have 2 Belles now!

I haven't planted anything yet, but the lettuce seeds I dropped have sprouted and my spinach, parsley, cilantro and chives are regrowing from last year's roots! I expected this from the chives as they are perennial, but not the others. One of my friends here says her celery and broccoli are doing the same in her garden! Has anybody else ever had this happen in a cold climate like ours? I would never have believed the roots would survive the winter here.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com
Go to Top of Page

LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  06:44:45 AM  Show Profile
Since I've discovered we'll be having on-going problems with the little Bambi family -- I've only got 12 tomato plants sprouted, and am im-patiently waiting for my green peppers to sprout. Noah insists that he's going to have a big ol' plot of corn, but I told him, "All you're gonna do is feed those $^%"#&* deer..."

We'll see who wins the Battle of The Wilderness... Lol!!

Laurianne
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  06:53:46 AM  Show Profile
Inside my tomatoes, green peppers, watermelon, herbs, and marigolds are doing quite well. A little too well I'm afraid. They are all needing to be moved to bigger pots and I don't have enough room for all of them.

Outside I have rhubarb (thanks Windy Pines) chives and oregano coming back. I planted onions and lettuce but they haven't popped up yet.

I have blue and white pansies in my containers and I sprinkled some wildflower seeds by my driveway.

Dawn in IL

Edited by - ddmashayekhi on Apr 17 2009 06:54:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  07:01:18 AM  Show Profile
Spinach, lettuce, english peas, onions (vidalia's and white all purpose), and soon to be, potatoes. After our first frost, then pumpkins, tomatoes, green beans, peppers, lima beans and some autumn squash.
Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  11:48:59 AM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
Wow! Your garden all sound so wonderful! I hope they all do well.

The day here is beautiful and very warm. The ground is getting pretty dry, so I will soon be able to put out the potatoes. I hope to plant a few things to day. Maybe some Cosmos (I think they are so pretty!), hopefully I will plant some more herbs in the house, and maybe some lettuce outside. The lettuce that is planted in the garden has sprouted.
I also hope to get my Dahlias planted. I got a package of Dahlias for Easter. I love Dahlias, they are so pretty. Dahlias also dry well.

Have fun gardening!
Belle

Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  6:28:29 PM  Show Profile
Oh boy, my husband went nuts buying "early girl" tomato plants (blahhhh!!!!!), but I guess they are good for canning, so I won't complain too loudly. I also bought five heirloom tomatoes from a grower at the the local farmers market-- all BLACK tomatoes! (Yeah!!!), and two cherry's.

I also planted several kinds of peppers (both mild and HOT), ichban eggplant, carrots, beets, peas, Dragon's tongue and other beans, pickling cucumbers, yellow squash, Dakota squash, and one other type (can't remember WHAT), 2 kinds of watermelon, leeks, broccoli and brussel sprouts and.... several types of herbs (even medicinal kinds), and my husband planted Fava beans and potatoes.

I'm sure there are OTHER things going into the garden eventually, but I'm not sure what. This will be the first year it's actually been FENCED, so Opal the Pot belly MENACE can't seek and DESTROY like she's done in all the years past.... we ought to have LOTS to can for winter use, and to share. I SOOOOO can't wait!!!!

Oh, and I even bought two Okra plants to put in my flower garden-- they have such BEAUTIFUL flowers!!! don't know if we'll actually eat the Okra....? come to think of it, I don't think I've ever even EATEN it before. Any good "Pickled Okra" recipes out there? ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2009 :  5:50:24 PM  Show Profile
Hello, I did my planting today. we planted yellow squash, cucumbers, 3 types of tomatoes, spinach, okra, onions, 3 types of peppers, 2 types of lettuce...and collards..not sure if they will survive the heat...But I have more seedlings to put in the place of them. I hope they all make it. This is the first time I have planted a garden this big. Usually i plant in containers. we had someone till up a place for us and it looked beautiful. Good luck ladies
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2009 :  6:37:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What great gardens!

I have lots of tomato seeds to plant but I think I will put in some $$ in to buying plants from a nursery as well just in case these take too long to sprout and mature. I can't wait for that first hot garden tomato fresh off the vine! I can taste it now and feel it's juices squirting down my chin!! MMMM...

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2009 :  7:52:21 PM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
I got the potatoes planted today. The ground of finally dry enough today.

I also planted more tomatoe seeds and transplanted the tomatoes I planted a few weeks ago in their own individual containers.

Belle

Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2009 :  8:10:28 PM  Show Profile
I have paperwhites and grape hyacinth starting to come up from fall, and bearded iris that have lived here longer than we have. I started tomatoes, carrots, jalapenos, and basil. I will buy flowers, herbs, and likely more tomatoes for my topsy turvy planter.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  03:55:03 AM  Show Profile
We started w/ potatoes and have added onions, chard and bok choy

We continue to miss the ball on broccoli and snow peas

phooey!
Go to Top of Page

abigailc1973
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

abigail
orlando fl
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  6:09:37 PM  Show Profile
Over the last month or so I've transplanted bouganvillia, elephant ears, red shrimp plant, ferns, lipstick bromelliad, rosemary, bee balm, lemon balm, jacaranda,mother in law tongue,ginger lilies, crocus I've sprouted : vine peach, blue shrimp plant, lemon mint, mountain mint, cat nip, lime basil, sweet basil, purple cone flower, coleus , peppermint, flowering tobacco, maiden pinks, tomatoes-cherokee purple, green zebra stripe, yellow plum, beefsteak, brandywine, cucumbers, sugar baby watermelons, seminole pumpkin, sweet corn, waiting to sprout: orange jasmine, kangaroo vine, passion vine, yellow cannas, strawberry fields forever daylily, dahlias, freesias, san pedro cactus, trailing cactus, garden huckleberry, ground cherry, chinese lantern, red hot poker and I'm sure there's more I just forgot at the time...
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  9:29:51 PM  Show Profile
WOW Abigail! I would sure love to see YOUR garden. Sounds like some very interesting plants you've got there-- What exactly IS a "Shrimp Plant" by the way? That's one I'd REALLY like to see! ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  06:16:04 AM  Show Profile
Well, on Saturday, I FINALLY got my German Butterball potatoes in the ground, my leaf spinach and my lettuce greens. Here's hoping they work--it's raining like cats and dogs again for the next three days. It occurred to me, though, with all the worrying I've done about them that it's not likely we'll starve to death if they don't grow :) It's just a real boon for us to grow our own produce, but in a pinch, I can run down to Kroger!

I am going to start harvesting some chives already for the freezer. They're HUGE, and I've had to trim the flowers 2 times already!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  06:53:09 AM  Show Profile
In the veggie garden there is rhubarb, an artichoke, potatos, onions, garlic, italian parsley, cucumbers, zuchini, raspberries, marion berries, blue berries and strawberries. Still to plant - pole beans, tomatoes and carrots. In the flower garden - the tulips and daffodils are blooming. A butterfly bush, the peonies are coming up, roses, pink jasmine, columbine, catmint, lavendar, holly hocks and a bunch of other stuff I can not remember. All starting to sprout and come up.

Anne in Portland, OR

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Gardening:What have you planted? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page