ijjie
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Joan
Knoxville TN
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  8:37:08 PM  Show Profile

Let me know if you find a green alternative for cat litter. We have 5 cats that are indoor and outdoor so, it would be great to be able to do something other than store bought litter.

Joan

www.ijjie.blogspot.com; www.exploretheworld.blog.com; www.pittrock.com
Go to Top of Page

jsparks60
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

June
Greene NY
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  5:32:51 PM  Show Profile
I saw these recipes in MaryJane's magazine and I must say that every one of them not only works but works GREAT! I even use the carpet freshener on my hardwood floor - I sprinkle on and wait a few minutes then sweep. It seems to pick up more dirt and my dog's hair and leaves the house smelling great. I also love the laundry detergent - I have very sensitive skin and this version leaves the clothes smelling clean and fresh and my skin not all red and bumpy :). My husband commented that the house smelled fresh, not fake. Thanks so much for sharing these recipes.

Farmgirl #1401

'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be' - from 'Simple Gifts'
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  09:25:21 AM  Show Profile
Julia, I can not find Castille liquid soap. Can I use any liquid soap? I have also seen a few recipes with with Downy essintial oil do you have any idea where to buy that? I love the recipes and want to make some more cleaners...
delicia
Go to Top of Page

ijjie
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Joan
Knoxville TN
USA
92 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  4:33:32 PM  Show Profile

I found Castile Soap at the Vitamin Shoppe.
Joan

www.ijjie.blogspot.com; www.exploretheworld.blog.com; www.pittrock.com
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  08:49:59 AM  Show Profile
Like GNC? I looked at the Natural food store and did not find it there.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  08:56:53 AM  Show Profile
Delecia
The Vitamin Shoppe has retail stores. Check the internet. They can give you your local location.
Mel

Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  09:07:05 AM  Show Profile
Thanks I will give them a try
delicia
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  5:49:50 PM  Show Profile
delicia, I have found my castile soap at Walmart. I have also seen it at World Market/Cost Plus. Outdoor stores carry it too as hikers and campers use.

I wear my cap around my waist.

http://www.iglitteredthecat.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - May 08 2010 :  08:57:56 AM  Show Profile
Thanks I have checked the Wal Mart here and they do not carry it. I will keep looking I am sure to run across it somewhere.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - May 08 2010 :  09:57:17 AM  Show Profile
I bought my liquid castile at The Vitamin Shoppe.Dr. Bronner's Magic soaps. Many different scented oils. The brand is certified fair trade items and 100% vegan. They are a little pricey but I was impressed with all the thoughtfulness that went into the product.
Kroger has Kirk's castile bar soap.
My best to all,
Mel

Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

girlfriday
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Jessica
Dallas TX
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  1:17:07 PM  Show Profile
I love all these recipes! Thank you! I printed them out and they are going in my homekeeping/sisterhood book I am making so I can get my first badge. I already use natural supplies because I have an organic cleaning company, but for some reason I still end up with things like clorox wipes and toilet bowl cleaner. I got rid of all my leftover un-natural stuff today and made the trip to Whole Foods for a few more organic cleaning products. Got my castille soap and some essential oils, as well as a few commercial products! I now have WAY LESS product taking up room in my laundry room, and more effective and totally green stuff!

Proud Farmgirl Sister #1727!
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  3:00:00 PM  Show Profile
My green tip for keeping the toilet bowl fresh and clean. I use Shaklee products and they have a germicide called Basic-G. It doesn't have a strong odor so I can use it. I put a 1/2 tsp. in the tank along with a drop or two of essential lemon oil or coconut oil. After I clean it I do this and it keeps it clean longer and fresh smelling in the bathroom. I freshen it every 3 days.
I'm trying to come up with a devise to put the solution in in the tank like the other brands. Any ideas????Something that would hang on the side of the bowl or tank would work.

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  3:24:59 PM  Show Profile
I'm not sure how I missed all these recipes before, lol!!! Thank you Julia for posting them!
When hubby and I moved into this house, all the cleaning products( and there were a ton, at least 5 years worth!!) were still here. I had a hard time throwing them away, but after my sicknesses for a few years, last spring when I decided to toss all chemicals out of my house, they went in the garbage.
So, I've been cleaning with basically baking soda and vinegar. Works fine, but believe me, "dry" dusting just does not cut it in this house! So the dusting recipe is great, as are all the others!
Most of the products I can find no problem. I have been making my powdered laundry soap for a while now, but have been using Fels Naptha. I read somewhere that is made from petroleum products and I would really like to use something more natural.
The Castile bar soap- I make a castile soap for myself and my daughter, can I use that? It is pure olive oil, no scents or anything. I haven't seen it in any of my favorite places, just the liquid.
Does the tub cleaner work even with hard water? I will admit it has been hard to go from my shiny clean tub using Soft Scrub with bleach to: a clean tub, but dull and with hard water deposits. I can definitely breathe easier when cleaning, but hubby and daughter are beginning to complain and telling me I need to clean the tub when I've just cleaned it!!!
Thanks for all the tips!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

"If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down. "~ Mary Pickford

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  4:34:10 PM  Show Profile
I have help cleaning my house due to my health, but I know how to get the tub shining clean. Use Bon Aime it is all natural and white vinegar and we use Fuller Brush scrubbing pads which I sell also. She gets it so clean and shiny it sparkles. I also use the Shaklee organic Basic-H

Farmgirl sister #308
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  6:58:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Brenda- I don't recommend using the soap that you make for using on hands and body in your laundry. The superfatting that we put in hand and body soap to protect our skin can lead to a residue being left in your clothes and can cause buildup that attracts dirt. I recommend using a laundry bar. I make one or some of the gals use Zote however I don't know how natural Zote is.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  03:54:47 AM  Show Profile
Alee, you make a laundry bar?
I was thinking of making a castile soap with 0% superfat. I have everything here and the soapcalc chart would help me figure that out, unless you want to share your recipe?!!! :)
I don't like the Fels Naptha, I mean I love the smell, but not the junk in it. And, we can't get Zote around here.

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

"If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down. "~ Mary Pickford

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Boisesue
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Susan
Boise ID
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  10:31:26 AM  Show Profile
Julia, Thank you so much for posting all these recipes. I'm going into town today so I'll be stopping by our co-op for supplies. Can't wait to give these recipes a try.

Susan
Farmgirl Sister #1731
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  4:34:05 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the recipes! I am working my way through a "green housekeeping" book and these were perfect!! I am starting a file and making a pile of the cleaners!!!

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2010 :  9:53:15 PM  Show Profile
Glad to be of help, Angie. Have fun!!!

I wear my cape around my waist.

http://www.iglitteredthecat.blogspot.com/
http://myfeetaredirty.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bevb
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Bev
Moscow ID
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  4:41:27 PM  Show Profile
For those having trouble finding Castile soap... the Dr. Bronner brand is carried by Walgreens. It is usually in the same area with Burt's Bees products. Or you can order on-line from Walgreens.
Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  9:57:06 PM  Show Profile
thank you for all these great recipe's!

...life is what you make it!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonhonu
Go to Top of Page

jstforewe
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Jennifer
Norwich NY
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  07:34:48 AM  Show Profile
Hello to all of you fun and clever gals. I have a different recipe for liquid laundry soap that I have been using for a few years. This recipe was originally printed in Countryside small farm Journal by Dorice Baty. I love it because you don't get those little shavings of grated soap left in your washing machine. I am anxious to try your great recipe Julie.... Thanks.

Liquid Laundry Soap
1/3 bar of Fels Naphtha, 5.5 ounce bar.
1/2 cup of washing soda
1/2 cup of borax powder
1 Tablespoon of essential oil.... lavendar and grapefruit are yummy smelling for this.
2 Gallon jugs, recycled vinegar jugs are great.
Grate the soap and put it into a large saucepan with 6 cups of water over med. heat. Heat the mix until soap melts. Add washing soda, borax and essential oil. Stir constantly until dissolved. Let it sit for 5 minutes over the heat stirring occasionaly. remove from heat and let sit another 5 min. Use a funnel and put 1/2 of the mixture into each gallon jug. Fill each jug 1/2 way with hot water and shake well. ( make sure that lid is on tight... I remember shaking it and ending up cleaning the whole kitchen :) ) Fill the jugs all the way with hot water, and shake again. let sit for 24 hours. This gels up and looks like egg whites.
Use 1/2 to 1/3 cup per load..... and revel in the joy of your thrifftyness.

I buy my essential oils from www.sfherb.com. Great prices.
This works lovely with Julies recipe for laundry softener. Thanks Julie.

Hugs from Jennifer
"to know ewe, is to love ewe"
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jstforewe
Go to Top of Page

Jackie Ferri
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Jacqueline
Trumbull CT
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  3:35:33 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer, Thanks for the liquid detergent recipe. Do you know if Fels Naphtha is safe and organic? I've heard it's not. Anxious to know!

Jackie Farmgirl Sister #1164

Resourceful Creative Organized Mom
Go to Top of Page

jstforewe
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Jennifer
Norwich NY
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  3:56:00 PM  Show Profile
Jackie, I am not sure if it is safe and organic ? Anyone know ? Thanks and happy cleaning :)

Hugs from Jennifer
"to know ewe, is to love ewe"
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jstforewe
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  09:52:57 AM  Show Profile
I will be adding green tips on my blog to make it easier for me to keep it in one place. www.jeanpatchbarter.blogspot.com
I'm starting with recipes for Natural Cosmetics I got from one of my health books by an MD.
These are great and cheap. I'll give you a sample of what to look forward to.
Tip#1 Eye liner and Eyebrow pencil: Get a pure charcoal pencil (black only) at an art supply store. Bring a small mirror and try several on yourself in the store to see what hardness suits you. YOu may need to wet it with water first. Any chemicals that you put on your eyelid goes into your eye.
Everything we put on our skin is absorbed. Charcoal pencils are cheap so buy several to use for different things.
You can also use activated charcoal capsules. Empty into a saucer. Mix glycerin and water (purified) half of each, add it to the powder until you get the consistency you like. Use a brush for eyelashes and your finger for eyebrows.
Easy and fun! So, follow my blog and don' miss any of these great tips.

Farmgirl sister #308
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Weekly Green Recipes Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: