Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  8:32:14 PM  Show Profile
Sorry I haven't checked this post in a while, thanks for the congrats, it is rather fun. What has been cool is how it has really encouraged my girls, and my mom to get green. My mom has even started to crochet dishclothes and 'swiffer' cloths. It really makes me feel good. I am looking forward to getting into my new house and getting back to my green ways. It has been harder at my sister's cause its her house, and she still doesn't have the bug, though I did make her a crocheted 'swiffer' cloth. I am glad it has been an encouragement to so many of you! Keep up the good work. Oh, and by the way, Alee's laundry soap bar is wonderful! I got some at farm fair and will be ordering some more soon. Give it a try!

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

http://www.myfeetaredirty.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2009 :  11:13:05 AM  Show Profile
I used the soft scrub recipe yesterday to clean the bathroom vanity which is tile and the sink. I don't think it has ever shined like this before. And it smelled so good in my bathroom from the lavendar castille soap.

I also used the dusting spray recipe to dust my living room last night. I loved not having that greasy feeling from the dusting spray all over my hands. And best of all the spray was practically free!!

http://afarmgirljourney.blogspot.com/
Farmgirl Sister #492

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. -Carl Bard
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2009 :  12:14:29 AM  Show Profile
Doesn't it make you feel so good using such clean products in your home. I love it. Makes cleaning a bit more enjoyable knowing nothing is toxic.

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

Go to Top of Page

boone girl
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

aimee
Boone nc
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  7:36:21 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone know of a good website that you can get more inexpensive essential oils. I have to stay on a budget if you know what I mean.
Go to Top of Page

coffeemom
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Melody
Carlinville IL
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2009 :  11:49:24 AM  Show Profile
Hey boonegirl!
A grreat place for essenial oils that don't cost an arm and a leg is at superseeds.com. It is Pinetree Garden Seeds. They have wonderful products at great prices and good service. Good Luck.
coffeemom Farm Girl#833
Go to Top of Page

coffeemom
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Melody
Carlinville IL
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2009 :  11:51:05 AM  Show Profile
HI! It's me again. I just read my entry and saw that I used the most horrible grammar! That's what I get for not proof reading! Ha!
coffeemom
Go to Top of Page

ijjie
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Joan
Knoxville TN
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2009 :  06:14:36 AM  Show Profile

Julia
I am new to making my own green cleaning products and am getting my ingredients ready to get started, now I have found your recipes to try! Where do I find things like Castile soap and essential oils?

You may have answered this later in your posts, but have not worked my way through all of them yet. Thanks for your help and am excited to start going "green".

Joan

One of the joys of life are friends! They take you as you are!
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2009 :  07:52:25 AM  Show Profile
Melody, thanks for telling us about Pinetree Gardens. Their prices are the lowest I've seen for essential oils!

Julia, Target sells Dr. Bonner's Castille soap, so does Whole Foods (not sure if you have them by you). Target & Home Depot carries Borax. I buy the large box of baking soda and washing soda at Jewel, a local grocery store here. You might find these supplies at your hardware or grocery stores, or have them order it for you. Whole Foods has essential oils, but they are expensive there. Good luck finding what you need!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

boone girl
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

aimee
Boone nc
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  05:23:20 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Melody, for the tips. I am going to check the site out! I found Borax at Walmart! I found Castile at earthfare and Lowes foods. Dawn, thanks for the tip on Target. Time to get cleaning!

Aimee
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  12:08:26 PM  Show Profile
Woot! My Washing Soda is in at Ace Hardware! I'm so excited! I'll pick it up tomorrow and make my own laundry soap this weekend.

With this next paycheck I'll buy some essential oils as well. How much is shipping at Pinetree?

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  7:49:39 PM  Show Profile

I am enjoying learning about the natural products...

IHerb.com has lots of natural products...that is where I have found the essential oils that are needed for some of the green recipes...

Smiles...

"Country Girl at Heart"...
Go to Top of Page

marmieto12
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

laura
utah
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  07:16:13 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Julia, now I have all of my recipes in one place! I have been using most of these and they work fantastic!

Laura;Dreaming of big girl farm...

Farmgirl # 148

Farm Girl Projects http://justsimplythegirls.blogspot.com

My Vinyl Decor Business http://thegirlscreate.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

melissamfreeman
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Melissa
Emmett KS
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  7:12:28 PM  Show Profile
I have a laundry recipe that I use that is green and non-toxic. The best part is that it breaks down to just 5 cents to 20 cents per load depending on the type of washing machine you have. I would be happy to share it.
The products I get off of my website, which is www.shaklee.net/jason_and_melissa_freeman
The recipe is:
1/4 cup Fresh Laundry Liquid
2 Tblsp. Basic-H2
1 Tbslp. Nature Bright
Mix all of this together in a gallon size container of water. From this mixture use anywhere from 1/4 cup to 1 cup per load depending on your wash machine (HE machines would only need 1/4 cup whereas regular machines would use up to one cup). Plus the Fresh Laundry or the Basic-H 2 can both be used as prespotters....just wet the stain and put a drop of either one on and I use an old toothbrush to work it in and then throw it in the wash. I love it....everyone says my towels/clothes smell so fresh like outside! And there are no harmful chemicals for me or my family.

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  11:48:55 AM  Show Profile
Hey Megan! I am so excited to know that I can get washing soda at Ace Hardware! I have had a hard time finding it here. Whoo-Hoo!

You are welcome Laura. I just made up a new batch of laundry soap and the all purpose cleaner. It always makes me happy when I use green cleaners. Just something homey about it!

St. Augustine

http://www.iglitteredthecat.blogspot.com/
http://www.glitterandgrunge.com/ (turner hill studio)
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TurnerHillStudio/
Go to Top of Page

tweedlebee
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Samantha
Spokane Valley wa
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  07:29:52 AM  Show Profile
I've made the laundry soap, the window cleaner, tub scrub, and laundry softner and am loving all of them- Thank you!!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  08:35:46 AM  Show Profile
Good girl Samantha! making my cleaning products is almost as much fun as baking. Makes me feel very productive.

St. Augustine

http://www.iglitteredthecat.blogspot.com/
http://www.glitterandgrunge.com/ (turner hill studio)
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TurnerHillStudio/
Go to Top of Page

StitchHazel
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Kylie
Rome NY
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  09:14:26 AM  Show Profile
Then I'm selfish too, Kim! :D It's good to know I'm in good company :}

Kylie

"It's wonderful what we can do when we're always doing." -George Washington
Go to Top of Page

melissamfreeman
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Melissa
Emmett KS
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  12:17:13 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by nampafarmgirl

Does anyone have a recipe for a carpet cleaner? Not a spot cleaner, but the whole room carpet in the machine cleaner?

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302

I Kim, I was reading through all the 'green' recipes and saw this question of yours. I have a carpet cleaning recipe that can be used in a regular carpet cleaning machine. It is with Shaklee products, and it is:
In a 5 gallon pail of HOT Water, put the following ingredients:
1/4 cup of Dish Wash Concentrate
1/4 cup of Nature Bright
3 TBLS of Fresh Laundry Liquid
3 TBLS of Basic-H 2.

This should get the carpet clean...I've know people who have used it with wonderful results. Some have even added the Shaklee Soft Fabric Softener and it made the carpet really soft. If there is a spot that is set and doesn't come out with the above, wet it, and sprinkle Nature Bright on it and let it sit for a few hours. Then go back over it again and it should come out.

These products are very concentrated so you'll have alot remaining to use for other things around the home and be 'green' in the process. If you are looking for a place to find these products, I do offer them on my website at www.shaklee.net/jason_and_melissa_freeman
If a 'find a distributor' area pops up, just type my name in and the state of KS and it should take you there

Good luck
Melissa
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  12:04:22 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Melissa. I will try that when it warms up. The carpets will take forever to dry if I try it now.

I wish my Freddies carried the lavender Bonners. They only have the eucyliptus scent, which is fine, its clean smelling, but I love lavender.

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

sw80689
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Sharon
Papillion Nebraska
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  12:16:38 AM  Show Profile
Julie, these recipes are great and just what I have been looking for!! Thank you so much for your time to post these. Can't wait to try them:) Question-what is "washing soda" for the laundry soap? Where would you find it?
Blessings,

Sharon
Farmgirl Sister #1393
*We are all angels with one wing, the only way to fly, therefore is to embrace one another*
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  05:12:32 AM  Show Profile
Oh I just found this thread....This is great!! DH and I just made a batch of the laundry soap this past weekend. He found an article somewhere. I have been telling him that MJF has all this info. Now I will show him this thread. We just love the way our clothes are cleaner and smell clean - instead of perfumed over. I wish I had done this when my boys were little. I will be sharing this with others...thanks for this thread, Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  07:24:21 AM  Show Profile
Sharon, I can't find washing soda here. I have seen it on Amazon though. But Alee said if I can't find the washing soda I could use pool PH and now I can't remember if she said increaser or decreaser. So I was at Lowe's the other day and just got the decreaser. I made my washing powerder and have washed several loads so far and it's cleaning them. I hope Alee will see this and get me straight on which one to use.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

ijjie
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Joan
Knoxville TN
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  10:06:53 AM  Show Profile

I am not sure if you have Ace Hardware anywhere near you, but that is the only place that I found Washing Soda. I checked online and they carry it. I went to my local store that did not stock it and they got some in for me and they also now stock this item as others were looking for it as well. Good luck!

Joan

www.ijjie.blogspot.com; www.exploretheworld.blog.com; www.pittrock.com
Go to Top of Page

sw80689
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Sharon
Papillion Nebraska
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  10:54:37 AM  Show Profile
Kris and Joan-Thank you so much for getting back to me. I live outside of Omaha and we have several Ace Hardware's so I will check there. I can't wait to make this, I will keep you posted:)
Hugs,

Sharon
Farmgirl Sister #1393
*We are all angels with one wing, the only way to fly, therefore is to embrace one another*
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  1:48:45 PM  Show Profile
I know that Ace is the only place that I found the washing soda. I am going to mix-up some other things this weekend. I am so excited to go green:) Hey does anyone know a greener cat litter? I am not to please with some of the stuff that I have purchased. This is the first cat that we have had...kind of lost on this cat litter dilemma. Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!

Edited by - craftystranger on Apr 29 2010 1:52:14 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Weekly Green Recipes Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page