Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  8:22:20 PM  Show Profile
Well girls, this is the last of my recipes. Anyone have any others, or diffferent versions of ones I have posted, to post, go for it!
Hope these have been a help to you in making your homes healthier and greener. I have had fun posting these. Blessings!

Citrus Degreaser

1/2 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup baking soda
5-10 drops citrus essential oil (optional)

Mix together to make a paste. Apply to greasy area, use damp cloth to wipe off.

Carpet Deodorizer

1 cup borax
1 cup baking soda
10 drops favorite essential oil

Combine and sprinkle over carpet. Let stand 20 minutes, vaccum up.

Soft Scrub

1/4 cup baking soda
2-3 Tablespoons of Castile liquid soap

Mix together till it is smooth. Use a cloth to apply. Wipe clean.

Oven cleaner

1 small box of Baking soda
water
Liquid Castile soap

Sprinkle water generously over the bottom of the oven, and cover with baking soda, avoid heat coil. Sprinkle more water over soda. Let it sit overnight. Wipe it up in the morning, use a scrubby pad. To remove the reside, put a bit of the castile soap on a damp cloth and wipe clean.

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

Edited by - Julia on May 11 2009 8:26:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  8:38:23 PM  Show Profile
Just came across these and thought I would pass them on.

One teaspoon of borax mixed with a teaspoon each of white vinegar and lemon juice will make a homemade stain remover that effectively removes ink and many food stains from most color-safe fabrics.

Baking soda mixed with water to form a paste makes an excellent homemade stain remover for perspiration stains on clothing.

A saltwater mixture is also an effective pre-soak for heavily soiled clothes.

Another version of homemade stain removers that can be effective as a spot remover for delicate fabrics is three tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide mixed with one tablespoon of ammonia. This mixture should not be made in any larger quantity and should be discarded after use.

Try straight club soda or a lemon juice and water mixture for fabrics.

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

Edited by - Julia on May 11 2009 8:39:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  9:13:04 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Julia! Those are awesome!!

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

http://farmgirlpleasures.blogspot.com/

http://aminiatureworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  07:15:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Another thing that can take out stains and underarm deoderant build up is ammonia.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  09:11:24 AM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Julie! All your recipes have been a hit with me. Thank you for sharing them.

Gail
Farmgirl #486
Planting Zone 5
http://grammasladybug.blogspot.com/

Be the change you wish to see in the world.
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  11:35:35 AM  Show Profile
I agree Julia. I have tried a few and have great success!

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  11:47:18 AM  Show Profile
Glad to have been of service!!!

St. Augustine

Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  07:25:43 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone have a recipe for a carpet cleaner? Not a spot cleaner, but the whole room carpet in the machine cleaner?

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  07:58:33 AM  Show Profile
I have been enjoying the Green Recipes, too. I do not know one for your carpet cleaner but I do have one for carpet freshener. It is 2 cups of baking soda and the essential oils of choice. I really like to add lemon essential oil and lavender EO as well. The mix of the two make a very fresh smell that does not actually smell like either. Just very fresh. My instructions were to sprinkle this on the carpet and let sit a bit and then vaccum.
LaVonna

www.windsongwellnessandtherapyshoppe.com

http://sadiesfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  8:55:26 PM  Show Profile
Welcome LaVonna!

Kim, I am wondering if adding a bit of Liquid Castile soap to the water would work, maybe with a bit of oxy clean. Both are low sudsing. I would do a small spot check to see if it will work.

St. Augustine

Go to Top of Page

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  10:03:50 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the welcome, I have been lurking about for awhile.

I do have a couple of questions. First one, is about the soap. I have in two of the product lines that I sell, I have soap that is a clean soap. I am sure you know one like it. Amway has one, Shaklee has one, Nature's Sunshine has one and then there is Miracle 2. I deal with the last two. But, I think they are all similar. You know, really concentrated and one quart cleans everything and make tons of gallons of whatever you are making. They all claim to be an enviromentally clean soap. Well, since I have this I am going to try it in place of castile liquid. I will buy the bar of castile for what it is called for. I have used the liquid castile before and have nothing against it but I have this other.
If somebody knows something negative about this please let me know.

I have used the concentrated cleaner in my carpet machine in a very very weak dilution. They say that when you get soap in the fibers of carpet that the soap will hold on or grab the future dirt. So maybe if you used a very diluted castile. But I wonder about maybe following the soap session with vinegar and a citrus essential oil. Maybe that would pull the remaining soap from the fibers?? Just a thought.

Now second question, I know where to buy most all of the supplies but "washing powder?" Is there a brand name? Is it in the laundry area?

LaVonna

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 14 2009 :  07:20:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi LaVonna!

Are you talking about the home laundry detergent? Your soaps should be fine, but I think they are liquid so you would probably be making the liquid version? Also I think the "washing powder" you mentioned is actually called Washing Soda. Washing Soda (often Arm and Hammer brand) should not be confused with Baking Soda. You can usually find Washing Soda in the laundry/cleaning aisle of your grocery store, or if you can't find it there and they won't order it for you, try www.soapsgonebuy.com

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - May 14 2009 :  09:28:56 AM  Show Profile
I was talking about replacing my liquid soap in recipes calling for Castile liquid. I want to try Julias laundry soap.
LaVonna

Go to Top of Page

MarciM
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Marci
Moscow ID
USA
19 Posts

Posted - May 24 2009 :  2:31:50 PM  Show Profile
A really great castile soap is Dr. Bronners. it is certified fair trade and organic. it comes in all kinds of lovely scents too! i love the lavender and the peppermint for dishes. i buy mine in the large bottles and then transfer into smaller bottles for backpacking. it is a great all around soap that you can use on your face, body, hair, and dishes! it's biodegradable too, so good for camping. a little goes a VERY long way. the website is www.drbronner.com and it's found in most natural food stores and groceries that carry organic goods.

Go to Top of Page

Jonquil
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

pam
nashville tn
USA
10 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  08:53:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Jonquil a Yahoo! Message
I have castille soap on the bottom shelf of the household cleaning products aisle. Once I found it in the soap aisle. It's kind of a hit-or-miss thing.

A starry sky is the best roof.
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - May 30 2009 :  04:19:22 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
I have seen castile soap in almost all grocery stores and yes, it is almost always on the bottom shelf, white label with blue writing and a little red. A simple but safe product. I have used it off and on for years. Thanks, Julia for the new recipes. There are several I will try and I already use the laundry soap recipe and it works great.

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com http://www.thevintagebaglady.etsy.com FG #377
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  8:54:05 PM  Show Profile
Your welcome Karen. Both of my older daughters have now asked me for the recipes. Passing it on to the next generation! It's what it is all about!

St. Augustine

Go to Top of Page

Pearlsnjeans
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Vicki
West Haven Utah
USA
248 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  08:35:15 AM  Show Profile
Just found this thread through MaryJane's Cluck. It's wonderful! I've been using vinegar and baking soda for quite some time. These new recipes will give me the needed push to get rid of all the yucky chemical stuff.

Thanks Julia and everyone else for all the ideas.

Vicki
Farmgirl Sister #120
Today well lived makes every yesterday a memory of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope.
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  12:18:00 PM  Show Profile
Julia, I just wanted to tell you again thank you for all of your recipes! I'm slowly getting there to having all my cleaners swapped over. I just got started using the recipe for dishwashing detergent and wanted to tell you that not only are my dishes sparkling clean, but my dishwasher is so much cleaner, too!! After the first use, I opened the door and thought to myself, "Wow! Look how white!" I hadn't realized how grungy my 12 yo dishwasher had gotten! Now if I can only find the Castile soap!!!

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1669 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1669 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  7:18:14 PM  Show Profile
Julia, I've been going green slowly but surely for awhile. It's great to have more recipes for green cleaning.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  9:59:46 PM  Show Profile
I am so proud of you girls! With my recent move and staying with my sister, well... she hasn't gotten the green bug yet, I am having to ease into changes.

Cherry, look at health food stores, and Fred Meyers, do you have those in AL? and even outdoor stores that sell camping, hiking equipment and such, they often times sell Castile soap. Good hunting!

St. Augustine

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  8:37:19 PM  Show Profile
I just got my new MJF magazine, took longer cause of having to reroute, because of my move, anyway, what a kick to see my green recipes in the magazine! I had no idea! Now a whole lot more farmgirls will have them. It makes me feel so good to think it will encourage more people to clean green!

Both of my married daughters recently asked for the laundry soap recipe, now I will just give them each a magazine and hopefully it will encourage them to try some of the others. Fun stuff!

St. Augustine

Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  1:15:12 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
Julie, just wanted to say congrats on your recipes making it into the new MJ magazine. And here all along I've been printing them out. lol Now everyone who receives the magazine can get started going green. Your recipes are great.

Gail
Farmgirl #486
Planting Zone 5
http://grammasladybug.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  07:33:52 AM  Show Profile
Julia, congrats on making it in MJ's Magazine. I have been sharing your recipes and my own with several people. My two teen age daughters alos use them and tell people about them , who send me their email to get copies, so my dear, you are touching more than you know....

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  07:51:52 AM  Show Profile
My mom (screen name Lynner) and I are both using your recipe's for green cleaning products! Having them in the newest MJF magazine makes for easy reference. Thank you so much for these wonderful replacements of toxic chemical cleaners. Now I just have to work on my sister.......

Farmgirl # 639
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Weekly Green Recipes Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page