Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Are we being weird for being a bit different??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Are we being weird for being a bit different?? Next Topic
Page: of 2

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  3:22:41 PM  Show Profile
I know we're not weird but wondering if others are feeling the same way.

I've been boning up on living on a shoestring as we are off the big rig now and want to stay home. Been looking for a place. Friends are helping us look but they send us ONLY literature about big and bigger homes (with land/barns) and the cheapest so far, pricewise, has been $335,000. No kidding. The homes are bigger and fancier than anything I want. I keep telling people that I don't want a second job. I/hubby want a place to relax and we run the place, not the place runs us.

No one seems to understand this. I usually get a look that says 'poor thing, can't afford it??'. No one has said that but I can suss it out.

But we're not in debt and own everything, which is why we can up and go when we find somehting but I don't have $335K lying around for a home.

Whenever we find something, I want to work/have my horses, small garden, plants, to cook. Hubby wants to hunt and fish. We will need a job but only want something that's local or close by. But simple. Easy to fix if something is broken.

I've been reading blogs of 21st century homesteaders and so I know there are others out there who think like I do. Welp, I guess this is a vent and rant, sort of...getting off my chest.

As long as we can eat, stay clean, a roof over our head and enjoy life, that's what I should worry about, right??

Winona

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  3:51:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You are weird! By the way there are a two big hay producing tracts over in my part of the woods that have spots for homes- one even has a well I think for like 142K! Keep Looking! I know you have the RV so maybe you could get some land and then build later?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  3:53:02 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Winona- you are not weird at all. We are looking at $80,000 homes that are basically 2 bedrooms, a smallish kitchen and a living space. Something we can spruce up on our own. We would like to get a pool to enjoy and some land for the kiddo and dog to run. Nothing fancy smancy. Just comfortable and fixable to live in. We want a little side yard for a vegetable garden and I plan on making the front fenced in with a cottage garden feel to it, including a hammock. Like you, I want to own a home, not have a house own me. So follow your hearts.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  4:17:10 PM  Show Profile
Winona
Check out Jackie Clay's blog. She & her hubby have oodles of land & no decbt & just add on as money allows. She is the canning queen also, & I believe that they live w/o power as well.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/JackieClay/
She says that the main thing is to find a good piece of land, even if it has old nasty structures that need to be torn down. Once that is done, you can build from there, and you have great land, the foundation for it all. She talks about how you can get a fix er up mobile home for under $1000, and if you put that on a good piece of land, you can live in that while you buld you own little paradise.
I love reading what all she does in a day.. Wears me out
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  4:30:56 PM  Show Profile
People buying home out of their price range is exactly what has helped the economy get to the way it is. It is sad when I see people want the biggest and best but then have to work 40-60 hours a week to afford it. What is the point of having a nice home when you are never home because you are working to pay for it?!
We bought within our price range, which wasn't much, but we have a quaint little home that is warm in the winter and keeps us comfortable. I have a teeny space for a garden and we are in a quiet neighborhood. It would look like a garden shed compared to some of the McMansions out there but we live a comfortable lifestyle without worrying about paying a huge mortgage. We are weird for being different in a society where it is all about keeping up with the Jones and bigger is better but guess what?! I bet we are all a lot happier than the others who never have enough and are always searching for something else!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  4:42:27 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the support! Even where we live now, I'm starting to feel hollow and NEED to build something but haven't hit the lottery yet (a joke). Was king of surprised about the response we got from friends. Even from a good friend who has had a tuff time financially and now has a fab job...she even changed from realistic to the bigger-is-better mentality. Brought me up short.

Winona ;-)

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  4:46:47 PM  Show Profile
Well, if you're weird, I am too. I just want the basics, nothing more.People think I am strange for not wanting fancy clothes and hairstyles and all that goes with city life. But I am not a city person. All country for me. I would love to have solar power and well water. One day we will.

I wish you luck on your search. You can take your time and find the right place for you. After we sold our house 5 years ago we had nothing. So we had to put everything in storage and rent a little apartment til we found our place here.

Kris

Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  4:59:42 PM  Show Profile
Me too! Me too! I wanna be weird! Wait a minute... I AM weird..... anyhoo. Just the basics for me. I was an esthetician in a high end spa/salon and phooey on all that hype. I have everything I need in these 3 acres of mine. I'm happy as a clam.

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~live big, ride hard, and shoot straight~
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  6:44:19 PM  Show Profile
Winona....more people should be as 'weird' as you. Part of our country's economic mess stems from people buying what they couldn't afford, among other things. You know what you're comfortable with, and the most important thing is to be happy and enjoy your life without being strapped. The heck with what other people think! :)

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  6:45:45 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by nubidane

Winona
Check out Jackie Clay's blog. She & her hubby have oodles of land & no decbt & just add on as money allows. She is the canning queen also, & I believe that they live w/o power as well.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/JackieClay/
She says that the main thing is to find a good piece of land, even if it has old nasty structures that need to be torn down. Once that is done, you can build from there, and you have great land, the foundation for it all. She talks about how you can get a fix er up mobile home for under $1000, and if you put that on a good piece of land, you can live in that while you buld you own little paradise.
I love reading what all she does in a day.. Wears me out

Good honk!! She wears me out just reading the thing! It's nice to know you aren't the only one in the boat. As Jackie says, most people don't want to go all the way 'homestead' and that's what I want. I like being close to a larger town (medical if needs be) but want to live out in the country. So, I'll be about 75% or so. Thanks for the link!

Winona

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  05:27:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
You can do it! Don't know about land prices where you are looking, but here in Kentucky, it's very doable. We paid 35k for our original 10 acres with the old house on it(you can see how bad it looked in a thread in A Farm of my Own). The house needed renovation, but was solid. We work when we have the cash to work, and we added on to it, as well. We bought a 1970's vintage trailer that someone else had redone when he was building a house on his land. We paid 2,500. for it and I'm keeping it even when the house is finished. We bought other parcels of land as they became available and now we have 23 acres and a tobacco barn that we rent out every year. I still see plenty of listings with newer houses for not much over 100k here. And I don't care who thinks I'm nuts. I'm a happy nut! :)

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  05:46:22 AM  Show Profile
Me too. I went thru the "gotta have it" stage, now I'm getting rid of it all, simplifying!
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  05:53:55 AM  Show Profile
Winona, We too are looked upon as "weird". It doesn't bother me in the least. Our best friends are drowning in debt. If even one of them lose their job, they are going to be in a terrible mess. We have lived on a shoestring for so long that we are making it so far, even though my husband lost his job!! We are both looking for work right now. But so far we are making it on the unemployment check my husband is receiving. Not too many people could do that.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  06:48:39 AM  Show Profile
We ARE ALL A LITTLE WEIRD HERE. iF WE WERE "NORMAL" we wouldn't be farmgirls; we'd be at the mall!!
I, too, am trying to scale way back, sell this big place and find something small and just big enough for me, my sister, my kitty, and a garden.
Am trying to get all the debt paid off So I envy you as you are ahead of me on that front.

If this is weird, I don't wanna be normal!!
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  06:50:32 AM  Show Profile
The prices are weird not you. My son just spent $96,000 on a 5 acre plot of land a ranch style home 2 bath 3 bedroom full basement that you have to enter from the outside and no garage so he will have to spend more money on that. He can afford it but the payments are $900. a month. I think those prices are unreal. The house is a new snap together home and it is beautiful but I think it should be a lot less.
His brother in law just got a 3 bedroom home with a pool and garage on under 1/2 acre.ranch style for $105,000. and they thought they got a great deal.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  07:57:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Have a look at this website!

www.tinytexashouses.com

These are amazing small houses in varying sizes that a man in Texas makes from old homes that have been torn down, so it's very eco friendly and they're STUNNING! Little replica's of country home and Victorians. Very affordable and manageable.

All you need is the land to put it on.

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"

www.mylusciousjourney.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  08:23:32 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for even more support. We think we found a house yesterday, sign the papers on Friday to rent (for now). But our friends told us that there is a lot of land going up for back taxes. Sounded good to us UNTIL they told us about the permit process. You have to have a permit for every little thing, from putting in the driveway to septic to landscaping to... It's 250 dollars each time the inspector comes out and they said their other friends had all the permits and approvals only to be turned down for the overall big one. The final one. After all was said and done, that raw land turned out to be uber expensive.

Anyway, this house is way bigger than I was imagining but I kind of like it. As I said in my other post, way more vaccuuming! Still the rent is cheap and the view is great and plenty of riding land. Things will happen, I'm sure. One thing will lead to another.

Winona ;-)

Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  08:25:40 AM  Show Profile
I love that tiny Texas house website!! Now THOSE are the kind of house I like!

Winona ;-)

Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  10:18:22 AM  Show Profile
You are not weird. Just stick to your guns. When we were house hunting, they kept telling us we could afford $100K+ property and hubby and I just couldn't see it. We live in a 3 bed house with 1-1/2 baths and 1/2 acre of land. Land here can be very expensive. We looked at a place where they wanted $2500+ an acre and that does not include utilities, wells, water, outbuildings, etc. I wish we could just up and go elsewhere, but right now we're holding onto the jobs we have and we have a VA loan, so it's different from regular loans.

Just hang in there and you'll find the perfect place.

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  5:59:47 PM  Show Profile
No you are not weird. The problem today is over legislation. You see every time you need to buy a permit, the county makes money. Not just on the permit but what you've built then gets added on to the tax rolls. I looked at the Tiny Texas houses that were made from salvaged materials. That isn't even legal in most places. I know that when we built some 30 years ago, we built out of logs off our own property and material from an old barn that we tore down. We even lived without indoor plumbing for 4 years until we could afford to put in the drain field. What we did back then wouldn't be legal here now. This county will even make you get a permit for a woodshed. Unless it's on skids, it's considered a building by sq. footage. We built on as we could afford and never had a mortgage once we'd paid off the land. I love my home. It was built with love. The energy here is very peaceful and even people who have never been here before feel the peaceful energy of the place when they come through the door. I wouldn't trade a home built with love for one built for spec for anything. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

idsweetie72
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Sandra
New Meadows idaho
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  7:04:41 PM  Show Profile
If you do your homework and check around I'm sure you can find something- we bought our lot of 5 acres for 22,000 6 years ago- I know prices are a bit higher now- but with the economy the way it is you should be able to get pretty lucky and find something inexpensive- ( we did have to build- but there is a quaint little farm house with a garden and outbuildings just a mile or so down the way that is going for $120,000 I believe, so prices are dropping)

Mazy Day Farm
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  9:00:33 PM  Show Profile
Add me to the list of weirdos! LOL! I can so relate to you. We are really re-thinking life these days. We closed our Real Estate Guide business in September, due to the fact that all of our clients were claiming bankruptcy! Anyhow, it left us in a financial pickle. For us, bankruptcy is not an option I feel comfortable with, as I feel it is scripturally wrong, so paying the debt left by this failed business means being a bit creative We need to live simpler and want less. In working towards that goal, it has really changed my outlook on things. Just how many "pretties" does one need? Do I really need that much china? How many shirts, dresses, jeans, etc. is really enough? I am selling tons of furniture, decorations, etc. to friends and am having a garage sale in a few weeks. I want to not only pay off our debts, but to also put ourselves in a position to be able to help and bless others as needs arise. We are looking for a cheaper house (though selling ours in this market is tough!), are selling our extra car, and living frugally is truly a game for me (though this is nothing new . . . I have been a true tightwad for forever!) Seeing how affordably (but healthy!) I can feed my family is a fun challenge. Pretty much all our furniture and housewares are second hand. Most all of my clothes are also. It just makes sense to me to re-use what is already out there. I have been trying to get the owner of an old 1890 abandoned farmhouse to sell it to me. It needs a ton of work and is definitely smaller than our home, but would be a dream come true. Best of luck with your hunt for simplicity and the house God wants for you!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  10:11:19 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, you hit another nail on the head for me....living simply has turned into a game of sorts for me also. What is it we need and what's a cheaper way to get what we want/need? Cooking from scratch, getting that one down pat. I've alwasy been able to sew well.

We found that we have about 3 households. The one here in the 5th wheel, the one that was on our big rig and the real household that has been in storage forever. So, I'm going to have some sort of garage sale, except I don't have a garage but that's just details.

I'm at the age that for pretty much the rest of my life, I'm aiming for simple and enjoyable. I almost have it down to a find art but am fine-tuning it...hehehe...

Winona ;-)

Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  05:57:36 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
i prefer the word "quirky." yes, you are quirky and thats what makes all you farmgirls great.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/

http://musingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  06:17:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I don't think you are wierd, you sound like "my kinda people" to me. I've been trying to get to that type of lifestyle for 30 years. In some ways I've been very successful, others, not as much, but I keep trying. Yes, we are looked at in a strange way by the rest of the country, but look on the bright side, with this economic downturn, we are living like we WANT to live, all the super-consumers are going to be living a life they hate. We really are the lucky ones :^)

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  07:23:02 AM  Show Profile
I'm kind of a hermit here because I don't see any good reason to go to town all the time and shop for sport or because I'm bored. Actually I don't mind being home even though I live alone. My biggest weakness in the consumer realms is craft supplies but since the downturn I've really curtailed even that. I have always raised a goodly portion of what I eat. When the kids were here I canned copious amounts of food every summer and even made all their school clothes. My van is 6 years old and I have only put 37,000 miles on it!! I go to town once a month for supplies and to do errands. Everyone asks me if I am bored or lonely and I laugh. I don't have time to be bored. I don't have enough hours in the day to do all I would like to do!! As to lonely...how can I be lonely when everyone is always calling me to make sure I'm ok or to fill me in on all the details of their lives? I am the only person in my entire family and friends that doesn't own or need a cell phone. I have always tried to keep life "close to the ground" even when I had my cabinet shop up and running. I truly don't miss working 18 hour days six days a week which I did for nearly 15 years. It's hard to get away from your business when it's in your front yard!! So here's to that kind of "weird". I'll choose that over the grind any day of the week.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Are we being weird for being a bit different?? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page