Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Disney advice Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  05:34:18 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
We are planning on taking Charlie when he is 5. We figure he won't be so wiggly and will get it. Any advice? We want to do Cinderella's castle and a few other things. Just starting to put things together in my mind. Thanks!!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  05:46:18 AM  Show Profile
Heather, how exciting. I wish I were going. Our family have been ALOT! My best piece of advice is to stay at one of the Resorts at Disney World. We made the mistake of staying close by and trying to save money the first couple of years. When you stay at the resorts you get something called "fast pass". This lets you walk up to the attraction and insert your special card, in turn it will give you a time to come back and there is a special line that you get in and NO WAITING!!! Also you can go back and forth from your room and incredible pool to the attractions by tram or bus. That is real nice when say you and your husband may not both want to go to the fireworks etc...
You will have a BLAST! It is the Happiest Place on Earth!

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  05:50:39 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Gena!!! Where did you stay??? We want the FULL experience. I have never been, Hubby has. Charlie is so in love with Minnie and Daisy, he gets giddy when he sees the commercial. If I had the money, I would take him tomorrow. Someone told me to go during late November- early December.

Heather

Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  06:03:37 AM  Show Profile
We have stayed in most all of the resorts. They are all priced from Economy to pretty pricey. We usually stay in the middle range in price. My personal favorite was Coronado Springs. It really doesn't matter which one you stay in, they are all wonderful. Since you have a 5 yr old, I know there is one more geared to the younger children. I can't for the life of me remember the name though.

Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  06:04:06 AM  Show Profile
My girfriend took her two little ones this past spring break. Try to go during an "off" time. She said it was VERY busy and the lines were long... She also said that it's important to put aside what you think your kids will want to do and go along with what they are enjoying. There is so much to see and do that you possible can't do it all...so when they find something that they are enjoying, it's OK to stop and enjoy. She also said it was VERY expensive. She felt terrible having to say no when they ran across one of the kids "favorite" stuffed animals or what-not. I had read somewhere in a family magazine...that one way to combat that was to buy various souveniers ahead of time, hiding them in the luggage and then doling them out at various times on the trip. After my recent trip to a very touristy place...I'd have to agree on that one! Wow! Two hotdogs and a funnel cake... 16.50$ OK that was food and not stuff...but still...yikes!
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  06:06:53 AM  Show Profile
Oh, My favorite time of year is October or November. If you go right after Thanksgiving you will see the glorious Christmas decorations. The only down side to that is you may or may not get to swim. We went the week after Thanksgiving year before last, and it was 90 degrees! I think that was unusual though

Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  06:11:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi Heather, my hubby worked at Disney World before we moved home to Tn. He said that early Dec. is good, Feb. is also a good time, last 2 weeks in Sept. first 2 of Oct. are good. Avoid summer, and around holidays.

If you can stay at a Disney hotel cause as Gena said, there are lots of perks, plus they have some killer deals right now. At Charles age, he would probably like the Magic Kingdom best. that's where most of the "kid rides" are. The All Star hotels are the most reasonable price, plus staying at the hotels you get to go in early on certain days, and they provide transportation so you don't have to drive.

You will have a wonderful time. age 5 is a good age to go, old enough to enjoy everything, and not completely wear out. Let me know if I can help with anything. hugs Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  09:55:03 AM  Show Profile
Do one of the meals with the disney characters. We did a dinner I think and I remember it clearly.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  09:59:24 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
OH!! I plan on it...I don't know who will be worse..me or Charlie!! HA!! I love Chip and Dale and Minnie is so sweet!!! I just want to hug PLUTO...he is such a good dog...Can you tell I never went anywhere as a child??? : )

I think Disney should be a mandatory thing for every child...it is magic...and you don't need to buy all the chokskies and what nots to enjoy yourself. I always bring water, crackers and fruit and I can find Disney themed ones at the store.

Heather

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  10:08:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My family went the year I was 6 going on 7. It was lots of fun, and the rides were just about perfect!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  10:22:17 AM  Show Profile
It is truly the Happiest Place on Earth. My family has been numerous times and now that my kids are grown I have taken my granddaughter.
Port orleans is a godd middle priced resort. The pool is really kid oriented and you can take a boat to Disney Village for shopping.
It is beautiful and peaceful there at night.
The Crystal Palace restaurant on Main Street. is a great place to eat and to do a character meal. They have Winnie the Pooh characters, it is a buffet and the food is really good!!
For anyone who needs it, Disney World is a terrific place for kids with disabilitires. They go out of their way to make the kids have the best experiences possibele. Just go to city hall on Main Street and you can get a pass for your entire family. They give you priority on ride lines as a lot of kids with disabilities can't do the long waits. If you tell restaurants that you are traveling with a person with disabilities they will speed up the wait time for meals. And almost all the buses are wheelchair accessible.
We have had a wonderful time there every time we have gone.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  10:27:12 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I heard they have fireworks EVERY night...is this true??? I may never leave. : )

Heather

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  10:37:33 AM  Show Profile
They have fireworks each night and once we stayed in a room at the Continental that overlooked the lake of the fireworks, and we could see them from the room. I have to tell you, though, save your pennies starting today. It is expensive. Try to pick cool weather.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  10:56:29 AM  Show Profile
The electric light parade was really awesome too!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  11:33:27 AM  Show Profile
I took my sons when they were 9 + 10. We all loved it, We went the week before labor day. 1st week in September the schools in Flordia start in August and the rest of the world is busy school clothes shopping. We waited one time for 15 minutes to ride space mountain. That was the only time we waited. It rained one day and we went to an outlet mall and got all the school clothes the boys needed cheaper and no taxes on clothes. Unlike N.Y. which taxes everything. Take pictures lots of them and make an album for Charlie. He will cherish it always. Have fun. Food is expensive but we ate outside of Disney, and returned when we were full. Do not try to stay the whole day,you will be to tired to enjoy it. There's a lot to see. We went in the morning after breakfast then came back to our hotel (free ride in and back every 20 minutes) to nap or play in the pool. Ate lunch and went back, then back to the hotel for dinner or shopping or napping and we went back 3 nights for the electric light parade. Watching tinker bell fly from the tower to the ground was cool also. And you will sing it's a small world for days after going to see It's a small small world. Also look around and try to see all the Mickey mouse heads. There are 100's of them. Just 3 circles that look like a round head with 2 round ears. I want to go back and I'm 57. My husband doesn't want to go, he's never been. We have a grandson that when he's older maybe can talk papa into going. Don't forget to make an album just for Charlie.
We also went to typhoon lagoon, Loved that but Charlie may be to small to enjoy it.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  11:37:25 AM  Show Profile
There are some good groups on Cafe Mom that can help you. One is run by a lady that lives in Orlando and goes all of the time. SHe knows all of the ins and out, how to get to dinner without reservations, etc. Another group is run by a travel agent that will give you a deal.
I cannot wait to take Owen, who is almost two now. I enter sweepstakes all the time, just hoping! I want to stay at the Port Orleans-Riverside.
Here are some websites that I like
allears.net
mouse planet.com

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

SuzieQ
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Suzie
Texas
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  07:26:57 AM  Show Profile
When I was going to nursing school I was a single mom and as you know school takes alot more time then they say - esp. when you are an older student. I had promised my son when I graduated I would take him anywhere he wanted. He wanted Disney in FL. So two days after I graduated I packed up my little truck and off we went. He learned to read a map (he was nine)and be the navigator and we looked at all kinds of things. When we hit FL we went through the tunnel and he liked it so much I turned around and did it again. I felt like we reconnected because I felt so guilty of having to study and not play. We stayed in one of the complexes and road the bus back and forth. We would get up eat at the place connected to the complex and went to the park and returned napped and then went back. I graduated in Dec and we went and saw family for a week and then to the Disney. We went two days after christmas and the longest we stood in line for the rides was 10 min. So give your son a graduation present of Disney and enjoy. P.S. my son is now 25 and remembers the Disney trip.
Go to Top of Page

jinia
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

jinia
mo
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  6:48:35 PM  Show Profile
We went last Aug. and May 2008! I must say it was the very best vacation ever. Trying to figure out when we can go back. Kaden was 5 the first time and did enjoy it very much - almost as much as we did!
http://www.disboards.com/
Disboards was the thing we used most to plan. I used those boards to plan almost everday! It was the most accurate information found! We stayed at AllStar Music the first time and PopCentury the second time (both value - cheapiest on site). Pop was def my very favorite! I could right pages of tips and fun stuff but it really is all on the disboards! Any questions please ask! Love Disney talk way to much!
Go to Top of Page

jinia
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

jinia
mo
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  7:01:52 PM  Show Profile
Just be prepared for the "I am not posing anymore look"

Then they will get back to themselves!

Edited by - jinia on Apr 22 2009 7:04:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Farmgirlheart
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Valerie
Los Angeles California
USA
103 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  8:54:37 PM  Show Profile
Expect lines and crowds...depending on when you go...especially during the summer! Take advantage of fast passes!!!! Bring at least some of your own food! It's not cheap and most of the food is pretty dull. Fantasyland is still my favorite part! Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Disney advice Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page