Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 To leave the sod or not leave the sod-
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic To leave the sod or not leave the sod- Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  1:08:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is the question.

Doug and I dug up a garden on easter. We simply dug, turned over and then continued on. As the soil dried a bit, I broke up some of the clumps and raked them out. The soil is mostly even on the top now after I worked on it again yesterday.

Doug says he thinks the sod will be good mulch for the soil. I am worried about the roots re-establishing and giving me week issues.

As I was raking yesterday I pulled out quite a few grass and root clumps.

What would you ladies do? Leave the grass and root clumps in, or rake and dig until they are all gone?

I think need to dig it over at least one more time before planting and I am thinking of buying a couple bags of potting soil to help ammend the soil to hold more water.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  5:07:51 PM  Show Profile
Go with any kind of compost not top soil or potting soil. mushrooom any kind of organic or chicken poop as you rake and dig I have always taken up the root systems as they will grow again. I had to bring the soil level up in yard and just dumped dirt and it grew thru. There is a organic pellet It looks like rabbit food you spread it on the dirt and when the water hits it it will swell up to 4 times its size and help to hold water and keeps the soil loose and easy to work.

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  5:21:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We are pretty blessed up here to have sandy loam soil, so drainage isn't a problem. I have a good source for horse manure so will be getting some that is well composted too. I just was wondering if I should pick out live grass clumps.

I also will be layering a thick layer of newspaper and cardboard over the soil after the plants are up to hope to choke out the weeds too. I am going to aim for a full inch of paper which will be of course decomposed over the course of the summer.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  06:17:24 AM  Show Profile
I would get rid of as many of those live grass clumps as you can. Are there any bare spots in the lawn that you could transplant them to?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  07:59:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I'll have to check when this snow melts! Ugh! It's been snowing all night! Maybe the freeze will kill the exposed roots.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  10:27:11 AM  Show Profile
Alee we also have started working on our little garden spot out back. John turned over the ground and he raked the grass and grass clods out. You don't want to have competing grass along with your average weeds to over power your garden. Grass is not a good compost item either.

Madelynne

johnandmadelynne.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  2:51:27 PM  Show Profile
Alee, if you don't get the grass roots out, they will re-establish themselves. So, you are right about that. I use newspaper as mulch, too but, I also put grass clippings (from UNSPRAYED lawns) over the newspaper. It looks a little better and it keeps the wind from taking your mulch away!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  4:23:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sounds good! That was kindof what I was thinking. It's been really wet- like snowing! So I will get back to picking out the sod after the soil dries!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  7:04:46 PM  Show Profile
If you use horse manure make sure it is really well composted. It should look like loose, dark dirt if it is. Other wise you will get hay grasses growing in your garden! I have 3 horses and made the mistake of using only partially composted manure and ended up with a hay field! HAHA!

Not to make you jealous (okay maybe a little) my garden is all planted! Click on my blog below and you can see some pictures!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  8:29:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
LOL- Yes Julie! Horses are great that way- turn them out on an unseeded but prepared pasture and feed good hay and over time you will have a pasture that grows hay! LOL

Yes I am totally jealous. It snowed here today! I think your growing season must be at least a month a head of ours here!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  9:01:34 PM  Show Profile
Alee,
Don't use horse manure, unless you want a pasture mixed with your garden. We tried it at one house & will NEVER do that again. I spent ALL my time weeding to even keep the plants alive and not choked out.

We are adding 5 more raised garden beds this week & planting 2-25' rows of berries (thorn-less blackberry & marion) DH is off for the rest of the week & it's family work time. :)

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, MRET & Wellness Coach

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  8:55:39 PM  Show Profile
Alee, I would go with the majority and get rid of all the grass and roots that you can.....or.....the grass will grow back, I've done many a flowerbeds that were grass, and you've got to get it all out. I think the organic pellets gramadinah was talking about might be alfalfa pellets, awesome for gardens and flowerbeds, full of nitrogen and they will puff up when watered. I have an old gardener friends that makes "alfalfa tea" and waters with it all summer. Also, I would add any kind of compost you can get your hands on, bagged is always aged and most likely will have no weed seeds.

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic To leave the sod or not leave the sod- Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page