Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Mice eating all in Greenhouse..NOT!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Mice eating all in Greenhouse..NOT! Next Topic  

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  9:39:37 PM  Show Profile
The mice thought they got the best of my greenhouse earlier.butttttttttttttttt...................I won! YES!!!!
I bought those ultrasonic noise thingys.Tthey work wonderfully. I also replanted, and every single seed came up.......they are only 3 inches tall, but, we cannot plant for another month at least.so neener, neener, I won, they lost...........

Farmgirl Sister #368
"It is most common for man to value most what has least worth."
My Farm and Garden blog....
http://blogonthefarmandgarden.blogspot.com

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  08:22:31 AM  Show Profile
Terri, going to have to get me one of those ultrasonic noise thingys. Yesterday, everything I moved, unrolled, unrapped or whatever, a mouse popped out. My garden shed is full of them. The lazy tom cat did catch one of them. On the lookout for some more kitties. Our hen house is over run with mice also. We have been setting traps every night and catching 2 or 3 every night. By morning the traps are almost empty cause the other mice eat their trapped buddies. We have to do something fast, before our baby chicks arrive.
Go to Top of Page

StasiaSpins
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Stasia
Augusta (Eau Claire) WI
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  09:22:40 AM  Show Profile
The noise things sometimes indicate they won't affect pets, but they can - if it were me, I would not use them around pet birds (or chickens), cats, or dogs. Could be great in a non-animal area like a greenhouse, though!

If you don't want the expense, you can put some peppermint essential oil on strips of (recycled) paper towels, and tack or tape them near your plants (on the legs of supports if your plants are on tables...) You should refresh them every few days. Just a few drops will do. Mice HATE it and will avoid it. Worked wonders in our old farmhouse kitchen when traps were ineffective.

If your chickens aren't eating all their food in 15 minutes or so (with a few feedings a day) the "leftovers" could be attracting the mice - by the time you see them openly, there could be THOUSANDS. So be sure to put away any remaining food - especially at night - and keep all your feed in metal garbage cans. I've had vermin eat through heavy plastic trash cans! Good luck to you.

http://www.TuppinzFarm.com Heritage Sheep ~ Goats ~ Donkeys ~ Poultry
http://YarnAndABarn.blogspot.com Spinning ~ Knitting ~ Weaving ~ Quilting ~ Crocheting
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  10:03:34 AM  Show Profile
I might give this a try as we had a heck of a time last year with them eating the tomatoes and seeds in the greenhouse...infuriating to say the least. Thanks for posting your success.
Stasia is also right about the peppermint oil if you use the pure stuff. I've read that mice and rats are actually allergic to it. I put it in a spray bottle and sprayed it liberally around the barn and in the small loft. Worked great!
Di
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  2:45:15 PM  Show Profile
I have heard about the peppermint oil also. Just bought some a few days ago. The dang mice got into the motorhome and have been in every drawer. They ate big holes in the towels and ate the fringe off the dishtowels. So a little at a time I am getting it cleaned up and doing the peppermint oil on cotton balls in the drawers. What a mess.

Diane, did you dilute the peppermint oil with water in your spray bottle? Can't wait to get my potting shed cleaned up. It is going to smell like pepperment oil along with the motorhome and utility room.
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  6:19:01 PM  Show Profile
No I didn't Belle, I just used it straight as it came. I'm not sure it would dilute with water, perhaps a little vegetable oil if you really wanted it diluted??
Di
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  10:18:04 PM  Show Profile
One tip about the "ultrasonic thingys"......they only go straight through the air, they will not go through anything, or around corners...
I hung them on boards I nailed across my beds in the greenhouse, and pointed one across the bed at opposite angles.....
the mice were so bad, I did not care what happened. Look at my blog for pics of the greenhouse now(at least I think their on there)teehee!

Farmgirl Sister #368
"It is most common for man to value most what has least worth."
My Farm and Garden blog....
http://blogonthefarmandgarden.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Mice eating all in Greenhouse..NOT! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page