Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Too wet to plant potatoes! Bummer!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Too wet to plant potatoes! Bummer! Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  05:17:32 AM  Show Profile
We've had rain, rain, rain--and not many dry days in between the rain, so my potatoes are going to be planted very late. I'm somewhat upset about that, and hope that they will actually work. Today and tomorrow will be sunny and dry, but rain again Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Ugh!

I ordered them from Seed Savers, and they seemed to arrive later than I anticipate, but I did order them while I was in labor with Violet, so lord only knows what date I chose!!!!

Anyone else have similar weather? What are you doing?

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  06:06:27 AM  Show Profile
We have a huge patch planted and it has rained every since we planted them I am thinking we may loose themMy yard will be ready to roll for hay soon. Give little Vi a big hug for me

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  06:21:24 AM  Show Profile
Same here. We had them turned over a month ago and have not been able to get them tilled yet. I also have 75 lbs of potatoes that are going to have to grow in the bag in the laundry room this year! We have always planted them in March. So I hope when it does get dry enuf to til that it won't be too late to plant them. We'll see.

But I do know how you feel. It is very discouraging to have all the seeds and plants but can't even get in to the garden because of all the mud. Ours was almost dry enuf to till a few days ago but then came the rain again. It looks like it will rain any minute today. But we will be planting soon. I can feel it.

Kris

Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  08:02:56 AM  Show Profile
Again...Bummer for all of us. I just didn't want to take the chance of planting them and having them rot out. I'm hoping that I can get to them tomorrow. We'll see....there's also staw piles, right? Last year, someone mentioned planting potatoes in strawpiles, so if the soil is too difficult to work, I might give that a shot.
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  10:18:04 PM  Show Profile
We aren't warmed up enough here to plant, our last frost date is May 15th, can maybe put in a couple of cold crops this week.
It is rather interesting and different weather these last couple of years for us. I am going to plant my peas this weekend. Then we shall see if I can get my two small beds in the backyard like I want to.

www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2881 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2881 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  06:46:32 AM  Show Profile
I read in the lasagna gardening book to just put down newspaper, put seed potatoes on top of the paper & top with straw. Keep adding straw as the potatoes grow. When you harvest, there is no dirt on the potatoes. They may be somewhat smaller than those planted in the ground, but I think this method may work considering all the rain we are getting, & dang it! It looks like they are calling for rain this weekend for Burlington. Poop!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  07:38:34 AM  Show Profile
I know, Lisa! I was just thinking about planting with the straw. It's been so cold, I can't even get the darn things to "chit" outside on the tray I have them on, so I've brought them inside and put them under the light in the living room, where it's warm. It's no big deal that the potatoes might be smaller than those planted in the earth--I'm too impatient to let them get big, anyway. I go "treasure" hunting every time I come home!

They said a "chance" of showers for Sunday, so I'm going to count on hopping in between the raindrops :)
Go to Top of Page

farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  1:16:23 PM  Show Profile
I think the straw idea would be a good idea. It would be better than just letting them rot or shrivel up. I think I also saw something on-line about planting in tires. That could be an option. You put your soil in the tire and as they grow you add another tire and more soil.

http://afarmgirljourney.blogspot.com/
Farmgirl Sister #492

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. -Carl Bard
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  5:19:22 PM  Show Profile
I qan't even think about planting potatoes until next month. Well, I could think about it, but I'd just get annoyed. I'm going to plant Green Mountain potatoes this year, they are really delicious and they keep well. I looked at my raised beds today, the strawberries are starting to leaf out, and my chives are up. Day lilies are starting to peep out of the ground in the beds by the house, but it is still pretty BROWN here....As soon as spring comes, so do the bugs so I have to buy really cheap stinky cigars to smoke while I'm planting. aI just have to keep puffing away, Nothing else seems to help and I don;t believe in dousing myself in chemicals...Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  06:06:29 AM  Show Profile
I have heard of Green Mountain, Karin. I also looked for a good keeper this year--ended up with German Butterball and a fingerling, Rose Finn Apple (which incidentally, I was apparently subconsciously drawn to because two of our dogs are named "Rose" and "Finn"). I ordered my potatoes online while I was in labor with Violet ;)

Our chives are up (and already starting to flower) and the daylily's, violets, clematis, roses, alliums and hollyhocks are greening and really starting to get big. They will be blooming before long.

Karin, I just picture you out there in a floppy hat and garden gear, puffing away on a stogie--what a GREAT image!!!! Truly! You gals from Maine got spunk!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  06:16:45 AM  Show Profile
That is a cool picture, Karin! I can't imagine doing that. But if it works I would.

It's still a muddy mess here. But it has not rained since monday morning. So maybe if no rain, by next week we can get tilled and planting! That would be amazing. But it does look like it could just pour any minute now. It's looked like this since Monday though.

I might just have to do the tire planting because I would hate to lose all these seed potatoes. Good luck with yours, FV.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  07:00:05 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Kristin...it's STILL raining here. We've had nothing but for the last week or so and no time in between, or very little. The tire thing sounds good, I just can't think of where to come up with all those tires, though....
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  07:21:58 AM  Show Profile
Violet Sterl has plenty ,he collects them Ha

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  08:37:20 AM  Show Profile
I'll bet! What doesn't he collect...but then, what don't YOU collect :)

Can't wait to see you on Sunday, rain or no.
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  12:00:09 AM  Show Profile
LOL, Sterl and Wilma, collect things, never....lmbo......
You girls have a great time, you all deserve it!!!!!

www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  04:46:23 AM  Show Profile
Oh may where are you from? We are in Pennsylvania and it is raining like mad as well....but we are just getting started on our planting season. I am hoping to get my peas, onions and maybe a few broccoli plants in this weekend!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  05:46:48 AM  Show Profile
We're in Northern Kentucky, but it's virtually the same zone, I think (we're 6). It's just crazy weather. Now, today, tomorrow and Saturday are supposed to be dry and sunny, highs of 70 and then Sunday a bit of rain, and Monday rain and cooler temps again.

I did get my peas out and they've started to poke through the soil, and my onions look good, but I'm just overwrought about my potatoes. Maybe by Saturday I can get to them.

Does anyone remember when Good Friday was last year? I thought Easter was later in the month--my Great Grandfather always put his potatoes out between St. Patricks Day and Good Friday. Good Friday changes each year, so maybe I'm still in business....
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  07:11:57 AM  Show Profile
Good Friday was March 21st last year. So it was a couple weeks earlier. Shoot. We are supposed to be dry til Sat. with rain likey Sat ans a little Sun. I'm hoping it will miss us and go where it's needed. Like the ocean. So I have my fingers crossed double. I am going to call my tiller guy and see if he can come maybe Friday. I was out there checking the soil and it's drying out on top. A few more days like this and we're in business!

We always put potatoes out at my MIL's up near Crossville in March every year. So this is weird for me.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  07:19:31 AM  Show Profile
Ah...so it was earlier (and right AFTER St. Patricks Day!). Darn it. I hear ya, Kristin. This weather is for the birds--but at least we're not getting snow in feet, like they are still in the northwest. Poor folks. I think I'd be REALLY depressed at this point, if I lived there!
Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  12:39:26 PM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
There has been a bunch of rainy days here where I live. I have been wanting to put my potatoes in the ground, but it is just too wet. There hasn't been rain for the past two days and I don't think is going to be anymore for the next few days, so maybe the ground will get a bit dryer and I will get the potatoes in the ground in a few days.
I just made a post on my blog about the wet ground and not being abble to plant the potatoes. Here is the link to my post about gardening - http://homesteaderbellesblog.blogspot.com/2009/04/this-years-garden-so-far.html .

I am just so glad I didn't plant the potatoes before the rain came because the potatoes would of rotted in the ground.

Belle

http://www.homesteaderbelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Too wet to plant potatoes! Bummer! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page